N.M. asks from Denver, CO on March 16, 2010
Acne - Denver,CO
Whats the best thing to use to get rid of acne?without scaring?
K.D. answers from Denver on March 19, 2010
i have pretty bad acne and have tried LOTS of stuff. right now i'm trying something i found on acne.org. it's been a month and no new issues. you might take a look and give it a try. i was pretty skeptical but so far so good.
J.P. answers from Denver on March 17, 2010
The best thing is to treat the problem from the inside out. Severe acne is usually caused by a hormonal imbalance. Going to a naturopath, herbalist, or other natural doctor would be my recommendation because using western medicine might clear up the acne but cause other imbalances elsewhere in the body. I can recommend a good one in Denver if you are interested in this approach.
C.G. answers from Chicago on March 16, 2010
I am in my 40s and have struggled with acne since I was 13. I have been to many dermatologists who would prescribe various creams or antibiotic -- none of which ever really worked. It turns out 95% of my acne was related to foods that I am allergic or intolerant to (wheat, coffee, corn, etc.). When I cut out the problem foods, the face cleared up beautifully! The other 5% -- when I get a sinus infection I also get the acne back. My allergist can tell that I have a sinus infection with one look at my face.
J.L. answers from Denver on March 17, 2010
Angela Wilhelmi is a great resource for this topic. Her daughter had severe acne and she used the Galvanic Spa on her skin and it is now gorgeous! Angela will perform a free demo for you and tell you all about it. Her email is: ____@____.com.
A.T. answers from Dallas on March 16, 2010
I use Proactive and it works great for me! I use the 5 step system. I know it looks expensive, but once you start getting it, it lasts a really long time! I have to restock every 6 months or so. I have always had acne problems, but after my daughter was born, my acne got so bad, my face looked like one big pimple! I used Proactive about a week and it all cleared up!
T.C. answers from Provo on March 17, 2010
benzoyl peroxide face wash prescribed by a doctor works for me, and i've had really bad acne. acne is best treated topically, not internally (stay away from pills). talk to a dermatologist about what is best for you.
K.S. answers from Minneapolis on March 17, 2010
V.C. answers from Dallas on March 16, 2010
Zinc can help if you have not been gettng enough.
I had to put my son on antibiotic and a cream from the dermatologist. Proactive did not work for him and dried his face out badly.
Last week on Dr. Oz, he mentioned sea buckthorn used topically. I am going to look into that.
C.E. answers from Provo on March 17, 2010
you're going to get a lot of different answers on this one. something that works well for one person doesn't work at all for another. Proactive works well for me, but i wouldn't call my acne extreme. like the other Proactive using mamma, i restock about every 6 months too. i'm in my 30's and usually only use it once a day. when i was 19 i had to use it twice a day. i went several years using Cetaphil because it's much less expensive, but it really didn't work well for me. i always had some pimples. with Proactive i tend to get them only occasionally, especially if i eat a lot of chocolate. good luck!