Acidophilus While Pregnant?

Hi! I've battled with yeast infections for most of my life and have found that acidophilus has really cured that for me. Now that I am pregnant with my second child (22 weeks) I am getting them all the time again. I stopped taking acidophilus once I knew I was pregnant because I wasn't sure if it was safe. I recently asked my OBGYN if I could get back on it and it said it was fine. I looked on the Mayco clinic online to see what they say and this is what I found..."There is not enough scientific study available to establish safety during pregnancy. Therefore, pregnant women should use L. acidophilus cautiously and under medical supervision, if at all." That concerned me a little. I guess I am just looking for some other opinions. I have only taken two days worth so far and am only taking half the dosage. Any thoughts would be appreciated. If you know of a better way to cure them during the pregnancy I would love that too!! I have been given the 3 day injection creams but it didn't cure anything long term.

Thank you everyone for the great advice! My problem stems from years of being on heavy antibiotics. I do usually eat 1 sugar free/fat free yogurt a day and have a fairly decent diet but it does include breads and fruits. I am going to continue to take the acidophilus (vegetarian) and if things don't get better then I will take a harder look at my diet and make some small changes that I feel won't have a negative impact on the baby. Thanks again everyone...you are all great!

hi J.
congrats on the baby, i had a thought. my mom-in-law has had this problem for yrs & when she reached menopause it got really bad. her ob told her to cut out all flower...wheat & white..all of it. and she did, w/no more problems now. it's been 3 weeks & she seems to be doing great! good luck...J. j

try web md that is the one that moffitt cancer center where i go uses, i have found i prefer it to others, good luck J.

My doctor explained the drug ratings to me...I forget what the letters were, but they are as follows.

Group that has been tested and is safe.
Group that hasn't been tested enough but the testing they have undergone isn't shown to be harmful.
and
Group X (I remember that much) has been tested and proven harmful.

There has been testing, none showing it's harmful, but not enough (which she told me was a HUGE number of tests) to show 100% safe. That doesn't necessarily mean it has been shown to be harmful in a few pregnant women, it just means there haven't been ENOUGH good outcomes to prove safe...meaning they all could have been OK, but it's not up to the number they need. Did I confuse you?? Hope I helped!

If it helps you, this is the most natural remedy out there. It is a naturally occurring yeast that also is in fermented foods like yogurt and sauerkraut. If it is good for your body, it is good for your baby's. It is implanting good bacteria in your colon. I would suggest taking it if your body responds well.

You can make a paste of the acidophilus and apply topically for great relief, also be mindful of your diet- no sugar, white flour. I have found very understandable data at Health Alert(Dr. Bruce West) and Weston Price Foundation.
best, k

Acidopholus is totally safe! Mayo clinic is just erring on the side of caution because like they said there is very little research. I ate plain goat yogurt daily when pregnant to get my probiotics, but acidopholus is also fine. Most people in the USA eat such sugary diets, we all have to much yeast and not enough probiotics in our guts. Plus being pregnant tends to raise your yeast levels. sounds like you tend to be pretty yeasty in general, so yes, take acidopholus, and also keep sugar intake down and I don't know if you drink coffee but it kills your friendly bacteria and makes yeast overgrow in your body, so if you are still having coffee, quit! Good luck! Oh and if you go the yogurt route, eat plain yogurt or else the sugar added is defeating your purpose. Yeast feeds on sugar and multiplies. Sugar is not your friend right now.

Group that has been tested and is safe.
and

You could try making your own yogurt, it's FULL of a variety of healthy cultures. Some women even insert a teaspoon of yogurt into their vagina as a preventative. Go underwearless as often as possible and avoid bathing suits and tub baths. Use a hair dryer to dry your "area" after each shower. Clip excess hair that might be trapping moisture. Making your own yogurt is super easy, get a few table spoons of all natural yogurt from the grocery store, make sure it has live cultures. Bring a half gallon of milk slowly to a boil, stirring frequently with a clean spoon. When it gets to 185 degrees or 5 minutes after it starts to froth, remove it from the stove and place it in a sink of water with ice cubes, stirring frequently until it drops to 110 degrees but not below 90 degrees. Then add the yogurt, stir well and cover the pot. Place it on a heating pad on medium or low and cover the covered pot with a few towels. Leave it alone for at least 8 hours, 12-15 for more cultures and a tangier tasting yogurt. Pour off the whey ( you can reserve it for adding in smoothies if you want). Refridgerate and it will be nice and thick and yummy. I add fresh local honey to the top of mine and a little high fiber granola and fresh fruit...mmmmm. Save a little ( 1/4 cup or so) in a container as your "starter" for the next batch. This makes a cup of yogurt only about 17 cents and is healthier.

Acidophilus as absolutely fine during pregnancy. I've worked with midwives in nutritional counselling.

In my view it's pretty safe to use, probably safer to use when pregnant than some common foods and beverages which the medical scientists haven't researched much to determine safety during pregnancy either. Remember, it's a helpful bacteria for the intestines that naturally lives there and keeps a balance that stops outbreaks of other kinds of disruptive bacteria like yeast. If your body needs it then it's safer to take it during pregnancy than to not take it and have health problems that could themselves negatively affect the pregnancy or the child.

I would tend to think probiotics are fine to take while pregnant. They are recommended for nursing moms while on antibiotics to prevent thrush. As a matter of fact, you can directly give probiotics to babies. There are some studies showing probiotics reduce colic. They are safe enough for newborns so I wouldn't stress too much over taking them while pregnant.

1 / 3