Acid Reflux - Gerd in Moms!

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if any other moms have had acid reflux or GERD after pregnancy? I had very mild heartburn 3 years ago when I was pregnant, and none (so I thought) afterwards. However, several months ago, I noticed frequent reflux, and my physician said that pregnancy can sometimes weaken the esophageal valve that prevents that.
Anyone else with similar experieneces?
Thanks! D.

Yes that happened to me after my 4th. It was caused by a combination of things, children, thyroid, food allergies, and inconsistent exercising. My stomach actually slowed down so I had to try to stop eating too late in the evening, not eating too much food at one sitting(eating more smaller meals), avoid certain foods(bread, dairy, tomato based foods) and start taking a probiotic (some of the reflux was caused by too much yeast in the body). I started walking years ago to manage stress. I also in my late 30's into early 40's struggled with my thyroid. Pregnancies really turn the body upside down and that is when autoimmune diseases can pop up. I took for several years nexium. I tried other pills but that one worked the best. I also went to an osteopath who helped me naturally deal with all my symptoms. I have not taken nexium in many years now. Good luck to you.

I have taken otc med for heartburn ever since I gave birth to my daughter almost 7 years ago!!

D.-

I haven't had a problem with GERD personally, but my husband does, and we've both sold medications to treat it. The main reason for GERD, as you indicated from your doctor, is the weakening of the Lower Esophageal Sphincter which is supposed to keep food/digestive fluids from traveling back up into the esophagus.

Pregnancy tends to have a lot of GERD associated with it along with certain foods, certain medications, etc.

Standard treatment for GERD, in addition to monitoring your diet, is the use of medication such as Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs-Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, AcipHex, Kapidex, etc). They are mostly available by Rx, though some lower-dose versions are available Over the Counter.

If there's concern, I'd ask to see a Gastroenterologist. At 26 years-old, a endoscopy revealed my husband has a hiatl hernia which is being well treated by medication and has not required surgery.

Good luck. It's really common, and a nuisance, but there are good medications and common sense things you can do to keep it in check.

Here's a link to Google health with some advice as well: https://health.google.com/health/ref/Gastroesophageal+ref...

Boy, do I know your pain!
I had heartburn so bad with both pregnancies that it acted up when I drank water!
What I have found out is that a ton of it has to do with what you eat. I found out from reading and talking to my doctor that much of it is caused by taking in TOO much sugar/carbs-even the natural kinds (honey, fruit, etc.). Look to eating a lower card diet, and making wise decisions about what kinds of carbs you do eat. Eat less processed food and choose natural foods and lots of vegetables (the non-starchy kinds; green and raw). Also, pay attention to what and when you have eaten when it acts up. I can control it now, by eating what I know is good for me and avoiding other foods. Some of the worse culprits are usually acidic foods or possible spicy foods. Good luck.

Yep, I had really bad heartburn with my son, and have continued to have reflux since his birth. :-(

Fairly common situation. Please do yourself a favor and see a GI specialist though. Reflux can cause erosion to the esophagus which over time can cause a very nasty cancer.

I had been gaining about 2 pounds a month and didn't really know why. During one of the testings from the GI specialist, they told me not to snack or sip on drinks, just eat normal meals. Come to find out, my reflux was worse than I thought...I was just snacking and drinking constantly without realizing it to keep the acid down. I also had a signifigant hiatal hernia. They can do a lot with medications, but not enough for the damage I had, so I had surgery. Since I've lost a ton of weight (the surgery was pretty significant and tough recuperation), and I feel so much better.

1 / 3