Acid Mantle (Cream Mixed with Hydrocortisone) - Is It Safe?

I have a 15 month old son who has extremely sensitive skin and had horrible ezcema (sp?) since he was an infant. We found out that it was mostly caused by an allergy to pet dander so we had to give up our pug. Well, we have been using a prescription cream on him called A-Mantle since he was about 6 months old that our Pediatric Allergist prescribed (who is associated with CHOP). This cream is a hydrocortisone mixed with some other type of cream. We use it on him practically every single day (since he still has ezcema). I specifically asked the doctor if it is safe to use on a daily basis and on his face and he has reassured me numerous times that it is okay. I just wanted to ask if anyone knew of any side effects from using hydrocortisone for so long? It is the only thing that gets rid of my sons rashes. We have tried aquaphor, cetaphil, vaseline, etc. and nothing else seems to work. I also have Celiac disease and I know a lot of the natural products contain oat which I would prefer not to use in case my son has a reaction to it. Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Hey J.!

I've been using it for two years of my 2.5yo son and we haven't had any side effects yet!

-J. S.

Hi J.!

I have two sons, ages 7 and 17 months, although neither of my children have had ezcema, my younger son has very dry skin and I've tried the Arbonne lotion on him and the dry skin and redness has disappeared. I've tried other baby products on him that did not work and my sister had e-mailed me a letter that was sent to Arbonne via a pediatrician stating that many of her ezcema patients had much success using the Arbonne baby lotion. It worked for me, you may want to try it! Good Luck!

Hi! My daughter has eczema too and I have been told to use Acid Mantle as well! I have not been able to find a pharmacy that charges less than $75 for the prescription and was told that I could buy the .1% cortisone and the Amantle separately and combine in my hands for the same effect! Please let me know what replies you get - I could definitely use some suggestions!

I use a salve/balm for babies with Ezcema that I got from Wholefoods - but I cannot remember the name. It has Ezcema in the title and all natural. I am using it on my 5 month old face. I was told by another doctor that using hydrocortine cream on the face can make the skin thin and bleach it. Just be careful and get a second opinion.

If you have celiac disease, then your son may
also have food allergies. Cow's milk is definitely
not neccessary for kids. Many kids have problems
with dairy, and gluten too, and it goes undiagnosed.
Americans falsely believe you must eat dairy to have
enough calcium.
As someone else here said, please research these things on your own, because medical doctors only treat symptoms and not the underlying causes.

I used this on my son when he was a baby...45 years ago...I have been worried about it ever since. I guess it depends on how it re-acts with each person. My Dr. said it may have caused my glaucoma and to quit using it on the itch near my eyes. Please do not use it anywhere neaar his eyes....just in case this could happen. Check with your Dr. to see what the latest research has proven. Better safe than sorry. My son does not have Glaucoma at this point if that helps your worries. I have used the straight Hydrocortisone not the type you have mentioned.

My son is almost 3 years old and uses the same cream daily for eczema. He also has terribly sensitive skin, and gets horrible rashes on his feet and wrists/hands, especially when he spends time out in the yard in the grass. We have been using the cream as prescribed by our allergist (also CHOP) for about a year without any difficulties.

You could ask a dermatologist. However, I have found that with my own eczema(I've had it since I was little) that the dermatologists tend to think things are safer than other doctors. I did have a dermatologist and my OB tell me not to use a cortisone medicine while pregnant, but another dermatologist said she prescribes it to pregnant people all the time.

Usually what I do for myself and my son, I use the cortisone creams when the rash is red and blotchy. When it's not so bad I'll use Aquaphor or Eucercin cream. I'm sure your son's medicine isn't very strong, normally they prescribe the lowest dosage possible. I have an extremely high dosage of cortisone ointment for my hands and I have to use it almost every day or my finger tips crack.

Hi there. we use it with our 2 year old-- started using it last year--and it worked wonders. he has sensitive skin, we all do, and it didn't cause any other reactions. we haven't really used it this year, but we found out he has a dairy allergy and he is now completely off dairy (I call him a meat-eating vegan) so that might have something to do with it. i would say relax. it's a topical cream and nothing his digesting, so it's fine.

HI! How 'bout breast milk! It's great for cuts, diaper rash, etc., so why not give it a try??
If you have any specific questions, feel free to e me directly.
smiles,
L., 39
Brianna 21m & yes! still bf'ing!
and baby
in Evansburg/Skippack/Collegeville
butterflylindamarie at yahoo dot com

my son had almost the same thing and we had a similar treatment and concerns. he is now 5 years old and not only perfectly fine but he doesn't have the same sensitive skin. i am still surprised it cleared up so completely.

1 / 3