13 answers

Accidental Overdose

Hi! Has any one ever second guessed herself on when you gave your child their last Tylenol or Motrin dose? I did and accidentally gave my son double dose. Boy did I feel horrible.... I thought I was such a bad parent... I had been up all night with him and I guess lack of sleep clouded my judgment. My sister-in-law told me about this product that helps keep track of your childs last dose. I bought it and it was awesome. I just wanted to share it with you because I know how scary it was and could have been :( Oh it's called- Dose Keeper for those who emailed me and asked me what it was. Love to hear back...

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

I want to thank and continue to thank all the moms that have helped me realize I wasn't alone! I have to be honest, when I gave my son double dose of motrin I felt like the worst mom ever :( ... but thanks to your comments I understand its ok and I'm trying to do the best I can as moms. Please keep sending me comments/advice.. I am enjoying speaking with you all... :) Thanks again to all of you who have shown me kindness.. I truly appreciate it :)

Featured Answers

Believe me, You are sooo not the only one! I had the same problem with my son before, as well as the whole problem with he only took so much of his medicine. So it became a guessing game as to how much more to give him. When that happens, I've just come to the conclusion to not give any more medicine until its time for the next dose. But that's just me. I'll keep a look out for the dose keeper though. It sounds like a truly amazing product!

More Answers

It can be easy to do, especially when you are sleep deprived. I did this once with Claritin (my husband had already given a dose earlier.) I called poison control and was told it was ok. 1-800-222-1222 is the number and everyone should have it posted. I'm glad everything turned out ok for you.

1 mom found this helpful

It would be good to give him some milk thistle, which cleanses the liver. Did you check with his doctor about the extra dose? Tylenol is extremely hard on the liver, so any amount over the dosage should really be countered with milk thistle. I give it to my kids when we give Tylenol.

1 mom found this helpful

I did the very same thing to all three of my children. Yes, I felt just like you. I still think about that day. They weren't harmed in any way, as a matter of fact they have lived to be 21, 18 and 18 (smile) You won't do it again, I guarantee. Just wanted you to know that you aren't alone. This happened to me 16 years ago.

That sounds like a great device. What I usually do when my son is on Ty/Ibu on a reg basis like when teething or ill I keep a tablet and keep it written down. What did he have and when and how much....I also keep track of his fever if he has one. That way if things escalate and he has to go to the doc, I can tell them what's been happening. After being pregnant with him and pregnant again now, my brain cells are GONE! lol...this helps me from losing my mind --- and sanity :D

Glad you found something that works for you also.
Take Care.
JT

Hi C., its also a great idea to keep Charcoal pills and liguid in the house. A dose surrounds the thing you ingested, and keeps it from entering your system, later you poop it out. sounds funny but it works, it happened to me, I thought I read the ingredience correctly on a pill and my husband came in the room after I took it, and told me it had an ingrediance in it I was alergic to, so I took the Charcoal pill, and it worked I did not get hives or stomach pain like I have in the past. Our Doctor told us it works for stomaches from food and gas, bloating too, the liquid is for Children and adults that can't swallow a pill. Thanks for the Dose keeper idae. I'm so glad everything worked out well for you all my best, P.

Hi C.,
I know exactly what you are going through. My 18 month old has had a high fever for 2 days straight and on the third day it finally broke. The doctor told me it was okay to alternate motrin and tylenol every three hours if the fever dosen't break and you don't have to worry about overdosing. What I found that was simple and dosen't cost anything, I write down on a notepad what time I gave him a dose and what medicine. During times like these, the mind tends to scatter and I find it helpful to just write everything down so I have something to go back to, especially if I end up taking him to the doctor, I know exactly when it happened and how often. You are not a bad parent, we just want our kids to get better!

Where did you buy this? How does it work?
Thanks,
Sue

Believe me, You are sooo not the only one! I had the same problem with my son before, as well as the whole problem with he only took so much of his medicine. So it became a guessing game as to how much more to give him. When that happens, I've just come to the conclusion to not give any more medicine until its time for the next dose. But that's just me. I'll keep a look out for the dose keeper though. It sounds like a truly amazing product!

I know how scary that is! My almost 3 year old ate ELEVEN Jr. Tylenol Meltaways last weekend - it turns out she can open the childproof locks on the cabinets now! My husband (who is terrible in a crisis!) came running in while I was sick in bed and told me! After a call to poison control, I found out that for a 30 pound kid, she would have had to eat SEVENTEEN of them (160 mg each) for it to be considered toxic (and require an ER visit)! Wow! I was incredibly relieved... and also amazed!

Anyways, if you're ever worried, call Poison Control - they'll give you an answer quickly about whether or not you need to go to the ER! :o)

As i am sure you know, it can be really dangerous to double dose on medication- especially things like cough medicine. When my daughter is sick and in need of medicine, my husband and i start a chart that we tape to the fridge or to her wall in her room. We write down the time we give each dose and the type of medicine we use - so that we don't ever get confused about which one we just gave her. In addition, we log the dose BEFORE we give it to her. This insures that we do not forget to write it down. We do this no matter what time of night it is. I can never trust myself to remember anything - especially when i am exhausted and not getting enough sleep.

great invention wish I had that when my girl was small

That can be very scary. You can also use a white Board Erasable Pen on your bathroom mirror. Once you're done, it wipes right off. It's great!

Sounds like a good product but a way to play it safe would also be to alternate between the Tylenol and Motrin. That is if you don't buy a combination type motrin for kids that has acetamenaphine in it. The ingredients in both separately are different so it can keep you from being concerned with overdosing your little ones.

Just a tip a doctor had given me when my kids were a lot younger :)

Explore Mamapedia

overdose parent's tylenol
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.