Accidental Overdose

Hi! Has any one ever second guessed herself on when you gave your child their last Tylenol or Motrin dose? I did and accidentally gave my son double dose. Boy did I feel horrible.... I thought I was such a bad parent... I had been up all night with him and I guess lack of sleep clouded my judgment. My sister-in-law told me about this product that helps keep track of your childs last dose. I bought it and it was awesome. I just wanted to share it with you because I know how scary it was and could have been :( Oh it's called- Dose Keeper for those who emailed me and asked me what it was. Love to hear back...

I want to thank and continue to thank all the moms that have helped me realize I wasn't alone! I have to be honest, when I gave my son double dose of motrin I felt like the worst mom ever :( ... but thanks to your comments I understand its ok and I'm trying to do the best I can as moms. Please keep sending me comments/advice.. I am enjoying speaking with you all... :) Thanks again to all of you who have shown me kindness.. I truly appreciate it :)

Believe me, You are sooo not the only one! I had the same problem with my son before, as well as the whole problem with he only took so much of his medicine. So it became a guessing game as to how much more to give him. When that happens, I've just come to the conclusion to not give any more medicine until its time for the next dose. But that's just me. I'll keep a look out for the dose keeper though. It sounds like a truly amazing product!

It can be easy to do, especially when you are sleep deprived. I did this once with Claritin (my husband had already given a dose earlier.) I called poison control and was told it was ok. 1-800-222-1222 is the number and everyone should have it posted. I'm glad everything turned out ok for you.

It would be good to give him some milk thistle, which cleanses the liver. Did you check with his doctor about the extra dose? Tylenol is extremely hard on the liver, so any amount over the dosage should really be countered with milk thistle. I give it to my kids when we give Tylenol.

I did the very same thing to all three of my children. Yes, I felt just like you. I still think about that day. They weren't harmed in any way, as a matter of fact they have lived to be 21, 18 and 18 (smile) You won't do it again, I guarantee. Just wanted you to know that you aren't alone. This happened to me 16 years ago.

That sounds like a great device. What I usually do when my son is on Ty/Ibu on a reg basis like when teething or ill I keep a tablet and keep it written down. What did he have and when and how much....I also keep track of his fever if he has one. That way if things escalate and he has to go to the doc, I can tell them what's been happening. After being pregnant with him and pregnant again now, my brain cells are GONE! lol...this helps me from losing my mind --- and sanity :D

Glad you found something that works for you also.
Take Care.
JT

Hi C., its also a great idea to keep Charcoal pills and liguid in the house. A dose surrounds the thing you ingested, and keeps it from entering your system, later you poop it out. sounds funny but it works, it happened to me, I thought I read the ingredience correctly on a pill and my husband came in the room after I took it, and told me it had an ingrediance in it I was alergic to, so I took the Charcoal pill, and it worked I did not get hives or stomach pain like I have in the past. Our Doctor told us it works for stomaches from food and gas, bloating too, the liquid is for Children and adults that can't swallow a pill. Thanks for the Dose keeper idae. I'm so glad everything worked out well for you all my best, P.

I know exactly what you are going through. My 18 month old has had a high fever for 2 days straight and on the third day it finally broke. The doctor told me it was okay to alternate motrin and tylenol every three hours if the fever dosen't break and you don't have to worry about overdosing. What I found that was simple and dosen't cost anything, I write down on a notepad what time I gave him a dose and what medicine. During times like these, the mind tends to scatter and I find it helpful to just write everything down so I have something to go back to, especially if I end up taking him to the doctor, I know exactly when it happened and how often. You are not a bad parent, we just want our kids to get better!

Where did you buy this? How does it work?
Thanks,
Sue

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

overdose parent's tylenol