AC Temp Setting... What Is Best?

My husband and I have argued for years over the AC and heat temperature setting. I want 75 (preferrably 76) for AC and he wants 72. We have a large house so I'm worried about the bill! What are your AC temp settings right now and through the summer? I need some negotiation material... Thanks moms!

Mine is set anywhere from 76-78 degrees. Depends on how hot it is outside. We still use ceiling fans all day and night.

right now here in tx is 82 outside i have my ac at 65-60 during the day because the hi temp at day is 90 degrees aoutside and inside my house is super hot at night i leave it at 70 degrees.

We never go lower than 75 (my husband prefers to keep it around 78!) This is for environmental reasons. I'm actually more comfortable in cooler temperatures, but there are other ways to keep the temperatures down down - close your blinds during high-sun times, run ceiling fans, etc.

Count me among the polar bears! I keep ours at about 72.

Most of the year, I sleep on top of the blankets and my wife sleeps under them. I have a fan on my side of the bed that helps me sleep cool enough. Have your husband use a fan to help him sleep cool enough. Then you can raise the temperature a little.

You both deserve to be comfotable. He can only take off so much. You can put something extra on to keep warm.

Wow. 72 is not cold. Perhaps it's a good question to see where people keep it in the winter, too.

We're also in Indiana. We keep our AC at 72 and heat at 69. Because we're on a heat pump, we have to convert to electric energy when it gets below 32 in the winter (which is usually Dec-March = $400/month heating bills).

You can close vents to rooms of the house not frequently used to push are only to the main living spaces.

Ugh, 76? I'd melt! lol. I'm with your husband. The hottest I can handle in the house is 72. We sleep with it at 70 the highest. We also have a pretty big house and yes, our electric bill kills us all year round anyway. Spring and fall is the only time we get a break. Sorry, I know I didn't help your side.

I live in the sub-tropics of South Florida. It is hotter than hell here and it stays that way for about nine months out of the year. Our air is set on a constant 73 degrees which means the house is really at 74 in reality. We set it and forget it. All day long......it is left at this temperature so we don't die of heat and humidity down here. Our bills are static, always the same, and run about $300.00 a month. We have a 2300 sq. foot home under air and it is a two story with vaulted celings. I will tell you this, we have completely made our home energy efficient because we have to run the A/C year round. We have sun-reflective tint on every piece of glass in the house, a covered porch out back with screens, ceiling fans in every room of the house, and light-blocking, energy saving window treatments if I really want to darken it up in here. We try our best to keep things cool and comfy. if not, we would broil to death down here!

During the day it's set around 75-77, but we live in an old house and the upstairs gets quite hot, so we use a lot of fans in the kids' rooms for naps/bedtime. At night it goes down to 73 as I cannot sleep when it's warm. How about 74 to meet in the middle?

1 / 3