About Delivery...

Hi everyone, I am 33 weeks and getting ready for labor. Since this is my first pregnancy I have so many questions :). Do you recommend childbirth classes? what do I really need to take to the hospital for me and the baby? How much of NewBorn size clothing is recommendable to buy? Which feeding bottles are good?
Thanks so much.

WOW !!! Thank you all for your great answers, they have really gave me a piece of mind. I want to ask about epidural, my friend had one and she told me that eventhough the pain was gone, she could not push anymore and the doctor had to use forceps to deliver the baby. Did you guys try another pain options? or epidural is the best? Do you recommend to have an enema and prepping (shaving)? I am going to deliver in Celebration.

Hello Lilly,
Congrats!! I am a mom of three boys, two I had vaginally and one I had by c-section. I had epidurals with the first two and a spinal with the third. I never needed a forceps delivery, the first was hardest to push out, not because of the epidural but because it was something I hadn't done before. The second I pushed out within 10 minutes with. As far as having an enema, I had one with my first and had an accident, and didn't have one with the second and didn't have an accident (go figure). Also, and my strongest advise I can give to any mother to be, is if you do need a c-section and they want to give you a catheter, insist that they give it to you after you get numbed, no exceptions! They will try to don't let them. I didn't let them, they had to wait and the nurse got nasty about it, but oh well. There is no reason for you to go through the discomfort or trauma when you will be numbed soon enough. A girlfriend of mine went through it and said it was awful, had her in tears. I actually told the nurse that was getting nasty with me, that I would let her give me a cath. before the spinal, if I could give her one too (I'm an Medical Asst. and know how to do one), she didn't complain too much after that! : )
I wish you all the best, and enjoy every minute!

Please consider natural childbirth - the epidural increases your chances of having a C-section by almost 50%. It also can interfere with breastfeeding as it DOES pass to your baby and makes them very sleepy - it stays in their systems for TWO months afterwards!

I'm a doula and have attended 8 births, in addition to having 2 children myself - if you need any articles or more info please don't hesitate to contact me!

Hi Liliana! Not sure if you plan on breastfeeding or not. If you are, make sure you bring one of those Boppy pillows with you to the hospital. It really helped with breastfeeding the baby comfortably. Also, I would recommend writing up a short birth-plan and giving a copy to your OB and to the hosp. for your chart. Just simple stuff like if you don't want the baby to be given a pacifier, sugar water, or formula. I put those restrictions in mine because I didn't want any of those to interfere with breastfeeding. Unless you have a small baby, you'd do better to go with ssize 0-3 mo clothes instead of the NB size. Also, if you do planto breastfeed, go ahead and take a class, but most importantly, let the hospital staff know when you arrive that you want the hospital lactation specialist to come to your room as soon after the baby is born as possible. They are SUCH a BIG help with getting you and the baby latching on correctly and comfortably. Hope this helps!

As a Childbirth Educator, I recommend childbirth classes, but at your gestation, you probably will not be able to find a class that will finish before you deliver. Any reading you can do or web sites you can consult will help. Most people take way too much stuff to the hospital with them. You will need your regular care items (toothbrush/toothpaste/etc. and you should take along a good shower soap. Not all hospital soap is that great. Bathrobe, slippers, clothes to wear home (and remember you will probably be wearing what you wore when you were 5 mos pregnant), so don't bring those size 2 jeans you wore before getting pregnant. You can bring things for the baby to wear home, outfit, blanket. Your car seat should be properly installed in your car for the ride home. Some people want to use their own nightgowns, etc in the hospital. All of your items such as pads, will be supplied at most hospitals. If you want to bring a CD player and calming music and of course, camera or video camera. Be sure to ask about the hospital policy on photography. If you can't get classes in time, perhaps just a tour of the hospital and a review of their policies, so you won't have any big surprises. Personally, I wouldn't invest in too many newborn outfits. Babies grow very quickly, and if the birth weight is near 8 lbs probably won't get more than a few weeks, if that much. Some babies have outgrown newborn sizes when they are born, so birth weight is certainly a consideration. I always recommend waiting until the baby is born to take off tags and wash the items (just in case you can't use them), then they can be returned for bigger sizes or gender changes. (Yes, there are sometimes surprises).

Since I am a breastfeeding fanatic, I can't recommend bottles for you, since I am not familiar with any of the newer brands.
Hopefully someone else can help you there.

I would ABSOLUTELY take a childbirth class if you can. They answer all of these questions. I had a caesarean, so what I needed was much different than what you'll need. Also, each situation is different. One friend told me to take tons of outfits for my son because she ran out, but I only ended up using his going home outfit. The hospital gave him t-shirts and he was wrapped up in a blanket the rest of the time. His cord was too much in the way for him to wear much of anything else. I only wore nightgowns because of my scar and I only wore one or two of those because the hospital one was easier for me. I wouldn't buy more than 7 days' worth of newborn clothes in case your child doesn't fit in them. Dr. Brown's bottles are the absolute best!

Hey. Congrats!
I took a childbirth class which was very educational but in the end I didnt use any techniques that they taught me. I would say you could get the same info from any book.
I pack tons of stuff for the hospital and didnt touch half of it! You really only need clothes for you and the baby. Cameras. Toothbrush, hairbrush, shampoo and conditioner. I also brought my own pillow which i would highly recommend.
My son was 9 lbs when he was born so he grew out of the 200 newborn ouotfits within 2 weeks, I would sugguest 10 outfits if you think you are going to have a big baby.
The bottles are a tough one, dont buy 20 of the same brand maybe only have 1-3 bottles at home till you see which your baby works well with. The playtex Vent Aire bottles are horrible! My son does well with the Dr. Browns, he also had a horrible spitting up problem so they really help reduce his air in take while eating.
Hope all of my info was helpful and good luck with you delivery and new baby!

Dear L.,

Congrats, 1st of all. 2nd, the fact that you have so many questions indicates that you would benefit from a childbirth class. Call around in your area. Bradley classes are usually 10-12 classes each a week apart. They feature relaxation breathing and listening to your instincts. Lamaze classes may feature relaxation breathing (lamaze institute) or patterned breathing (lamaze international) and distracting yourself from the discomforts of labor. Hospital classes are usually a mix of the methods. No matter which class you take you will be informed of the pros and cons of the medications that are available and what choices you have at your local hospital. Tv programs frequently show only medicated births so are not an accurate picture of all labors. Do not expect your nurses to do more than check on you once hourly during monitoring of the baby, most cannot spend much time with you due to their patient load.

Hi L.! My name is M.. I am also a first time mom! I'm a new member of mamasource so I just read your request. I know that you've had a beautiful baby by now and I hope that your experience was a wonderful one. I read a response just now where someone reccomended not taking childbirth classes because she had delivered all of her babies through c-section. I certainly understand her saying that but for me I still benefited from the classes. I had preeclampsia and ended up with a c-section after 7 hours of labor. Although I was confined to the bed the breathing exercises that we learned really helped during the time that I was in labor. Also, birthing classes are an excellent education for dads to understand what is happening with your body during all the stages of pregnancy. The classes also cover different conditions you can have in your pregnancy such as preeclampsia (the symptoms of preeclampsia that we covered in class alerted me to my condition). They also cover nutrition and breastfeeding! There are so many benefits to birthing classes that I hope other soon-to-be moms who read this will not be discouraged from signing up for classes just because they might have with a c-section! Good luck to all of the new moms!

1 / 3