Abnormally High Beta-HCG Levels in Early Pregnancy

Hi Moms! I'm currently about 6 1/2 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I had the Beta-HCG blood test done at 5 weeks and 5 days, and my level was over 12,000, double what is should be at 6 weeks. I had another test done yesterday, pending results. I'm really trying not to be overly concerned, but I'm fearing ectopic pregnancy. Another possibility is twins (I think?). I don't have any symptoms of ectopic pregnancy, just the normal pregnancy symptoms (fatigue, nausea).

Does anyone have any more information about what these high Beta-HCG numbers could mean? I'm going in for a formal ultrasound later today, and hopefully the technician can see something to put my fears at ease.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Originally, I was questioning my Beta-HCG levels was because my doctor was concerned about ectopic pregnancy. He did an ultrasound last week (I was having sharp lower abdominal pain) and could not see a gestational sac. Although it was early in my pregnancy, he was concerned. Since then, I had a 2nd ultrasound and they did see a gestatational sac in my uterus so EP has been ruled out. I'm now 6 weeks and 3 days (doctor confirmed). Thank you all for the great responses!

I would think twins... Let us know what happens! Good luck!

Hi, high Beta-HCG means you are farther along and I wouldn't put a lot of stock in numbers. People have been having babies for years and no ultra sounds and no levels and they had perfectly healthy babies. As long as you feel well and are not spotting, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Thanks, C.

TWINS or multiples! Best to you!

I have a few friends that have had that happen to them and they were very concerned as well, but to their surprise...it was twins....or more! lol! I pray that you are happily surprised with multiples as well. Being pregnant can be a scary thing no matter how many kids you've had, but when things like this happen, the worry wart comes out of us all with a vengence! Don't worry till you need to. This could very possibly be a WONDERFUL
BLESSING from God! Good luck and God Bless you and your's! Please send an update! I would love to hear what the doctor says!

M....

I had high HCG results (not as high as yours, but higher than normal), too -- and my 'doubling time' was also faster than 48 hours (I think it was 35 hours). One possibility is that your dates are a bit off -- that is, you are more than 6 weeks pregnant. In my case, this seems to have been true -- my current due date is about 10 days sooner than my original due date (and I'm not carrying twins). Another possibility though, as others have mentioned, is twins. I was also told that there is just some natural variability in these numbers -- both between different moms and between pregnancies (same mom). I feel for you -- I was pretty nervous when the nurse told me, too. But, as I said, in my case it was just a matter of dates (and normal variation) --- and all was fine. Hang in there.

-D.

Hi there, I don't know about etopic pregnancies, but my HCG level at just 1-2 weeks pregnant w/my twins was a little more than double the normal level it would've been if I had only been carrying one. The first thing my doctor talked about after finding out my HCG level during my first ultrasound was the possiblity of multiples...then he confirmed that I was carrying twins in that first ultrasound. I wish you the best of luck!

Dear P.,
I don't believe that levels would be higher in an ectopic pregnancy. I could be wrong, but especially this early in the pregnancy, it's only the levels that are detected, not the placement of the baby.
High levels are a good and healthy sign! Whether it's one or more babies.
Please let us know what your doctor says when you get the results!

Blessings and best wishes!

1 / 3