Abnormal AFP Test

I recently got news that my AFP tests came back abnormal and there is a 1 in 60 chance of having a baby with down syndrome. Has anyone every had this and the baby turned out fine? Thanks S.

I got my amnio results back on Friday after work which made my Mother's day! Everything came back normal. Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement through this tough time. Now I can relax and really enjoy my pregnancy. Thanks again, S.

We always skipped the AFP due all the falst positives. But I do have a 1 year old son with down syndrome. So if you have any questions or need to talk feel free to message me.

now i know i am responding late -this beautiful child has been born so congrats!but what i do want every mother out there know that sometimes doing the afp test serves you and the childs futer well.I did have a high risk pregnancy so my dr. did want to do every test.everything was fine .i did do the amnio and was nervous but in the long run i am thankfull.my son did have a genetic disorder.one of which i never heard of.was given a few days to decide what to do,my son is almost 6 now.about every 1 and 700 hundred males have this disorder but dont ever end up finding out untill later in there life-i found out via amnio and @ least am educated and he can get the help he needs.i am not trying to tell all of these mamas what to do ,my own sister opted out-its just that sometimes we have to look @ the possibilitie of the 1 and 700 hundred being a possibilitie!

hey S.,
It didn't happen to me but to a close friend of mine. She had the same thing happen to her, and she had to go to a couple different hospitals and get a couple different tests. I'm not positive on the details (ie. the test) but she ended up having a beautiful healthy baby girl!! She was really upset at the test and for her second she decided not to even have the test. Both of her children are healthy.

S.:

Hi. I see that you've already gotten a ton of responses but I'll throw mine in the ring also. I am 40 and am on my second pregnancy (my son is 2). The only testing I had with my first son was an amnio because I just wanted to know everything for sure so I didn't bother with anything else. This time around I have a different doctor and she seems to be more into the testing so I had the nuchal tranclucency test (they do an ultrasound and prick your finger for blood) - this is just a screening and also gives you odds but it came back really good for me - I don't remember the numbers but I had the same risk as like a 22 year old. It is done really early on. Then the time for the AFP test came up - I said ok what the heck. Well it came back positive. I wasn't super worried because I had more faith in the nuchal translucency test which has a much, much lower rate of false positives. Based on the NT test I wasn't going to have an amnio this time but the positive AFP test was enough to push me to have an amnio again just to be sure. Everything came back perfectly fine from the amnio. The genetic counselor said my age plays heavily into the AFP calculation - this is in addition to whatever they find in the bloodwork so it seems that just based on the bank of statistics they have if you are older I would think you have more likelihood of a false positive just because you're older and not based on anything concrete in the bloodwork. I really hate this AFP test as I think it causes a lot of women to have unnecessary amnios - I think the nuchal translucency test is much better in my own non-medical-school opinion. The stress all of these tests put an expecting mother through is really no fun. Anyway, as you can tell from the other messages the percentage of false positives is extremely high with this test. You can get a level II u/s to see if there are any soft markers for Down Syndrome and you can talk to a genetic counselor (I've had two and they have been really awesome) and then decide if you want to have an amnio or not. BTW, the state (at least in CA) will pay for the ultrasound if you have a positive AFP. I've had 2 amnios and they are no big deal at all. Good luck!!!

Dear S.,

Although I have not had the experience, my sister-in-law and MANY of her friends have had similar results on this test. ALL of their children are fine. My sister-in-law was beside herself and in doing research found out that these "false positives" are not uncommon.

Good luck. I'll keep you and your baby in my prayers-

I have a brother with down syndrome, and also a daughter with down syndrome. After the birth of my daughter, I received 2 phone calls from 2 different people, indicating the same results as yours. I don't recall a percentage, but an abnormal AFP, with the possiblity of down syndrome. Upon the births of both children, neither were down syndrome. I refused the test many years ago, for that very reason. The possiblity of it being a false positive. I realize that a child with down syndrome is not what parents expect...however, having it in my life forever, has been nothing but a blessing, not only for me, but my family. If at any time you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Both of my kids had high AFP scores. They are both fine. with my daughter they told me that they could see down's markers on her with short legs and fingers and that she had a fat roll on the back of her neck that was also typical with babys with downs she came out fine. Trust in you ability to know your baby. after all you are the only one who at this point does . Hope all is well K.

Yes! I am 27 years old and on my third pregnancy my AFP came back with a 1 in 36 chance of my baby having down syndrome. I went to the genetic counsler, they give you an ultrasound to see if your due date is off because that affects the results. Once they determined that mine was off by about a week they reran the results and it came back with a 1 in 100 chance. They will also look for calcium deposits around the baby's heart during the ultrasound and other things that are charactaristic of down's like gathered skin at the back of the neck and a few other things. They should offer you an amnio also which will determine yes or no. I declined this after looking at the ultrsound and seeing normal amounts of calcium around the heart and everything else looking okay. What a stressful time for you. My son was born healthy and normal with no signs of down's. Good luck to you and your family, try not to think the what if's to much. :)

I actually opted out of the AFP test with this pregnancy because the statistics of me having a false positive actually increased due to my age. I had the test with my first pregnancy and I was 36. The results were negative. But because I'm going to be 38 when this baby is born, they said there was a 20% chance I could have a false positive. I know a lot of women that had positive results and their child ended up being fine. They should also be able to tell you more from the ultra-sound as well by measuring the forehead, back of the neck, etc to determine if there is a chance your baby has downs.

Best of luck to you and try not to worry - I know that's difficult.

My AFP came back abnormal as well and now I have a perfectly healthy baby girl. In my case it was that the timing was off. I was farther along than I and my doctor thought. Once I had an unltrasound they saw that my afp levels actually matched up with how far along I was. This could be the case with you. An ultrasound will probably clear things up. Good luck and try not to worry, I know numerous other moms who had abnormal results and healthy babies.

1 / 3