A "Moving" Question

This may be a silly question but here's my predicament. Me and my daughter are moving soon after having lived with my parents. She has a lot of toys here and I know it would be stupid to pack them ALL up and take them with but I'm having a hard time picking which ones to leave here. Do any of you keep toys at the grandparents' homes or do you bring them with you. And if you keep toys there what do you keep there for your kids so they have something to play with and make them feel at home? OR do you just leave it up to the grandparents? Any suggestions and tips would be helpful.

Thank you everyone for your advise. I've read all of them and I'm taking them all into consideration. If anyone else has a suggestion I'm open to hearing it. Thanks for the help.

Hi, I am a grandmother & a great grandmother. I have a big toy box with all kind of toys in it. The kids love it when they come to spend the night, they have all those toys to play with. Its almost like new toys for them.
I agree that you should get rid of the toys that are in bad shape & the ones that they have out grown.
Have a nice weekend,
Justie

I definately have toys stashed at all the grand parents houses!
I guess it depends on how much room they have. My mom has a toybox and she keeps whatever can fit in there!

My daughter is getting ready to move in with me with my 16 month old grandson so she is going through the same thing you are. She is leaving all of the "large" riding, motorized toys at the the grandparents down south and some of the small toys as well. I have already moved up here a few of the baby's smaller riding toys that I could fit in my Jeep. We will move a bag or two of small toys with us when I go back down to get them. Wehn they move from here to wherever they get new orders to, I am sure 1/2 of the toys will stay here as well. that way, when the baby comes to visit, he has something familiar here. I have let my daughter chose what to bring and what to keep at the other house. I hope this helps.

Well my daughter Isabella has toys everywhere, at my Mom's, my Sister's, and my Grandmother'. It makes it so much easier for me not to have to bring them with me. I grouped the toys by age, and then left the toys that she hasn't gotten to at my Mom's. And as time passes or if she brings the toy with us that's how they come home. Hope this helps
Tina

Have a nice weekend,
Justie

My mom got a new house when my son was one year old. The first time we went to visit, she had purchased a few toys and a child-size bean bag. She kindly made it clear that these were not "gifts" we were expected to take with us, but rather the beginnings of her "Grandmother toys." She wants to have a corner/chest of toys when any child comes to visit. I think the important distinction is that my son plays with them when we visit, but they are not our responsibility. I would recommend sorting out your daughter's favorite toys and definitely taking those with you. Try to remain realistic about many factors: 1. Weight allowance for the move. 2. Space in your new quarters. 3. Age appropriateness of the toys. 4. Gift-giving holidays approaching. When I was a kid, I used to go through a toy purge every fall to prepare room for my Christmas loot. Now that I am a mom, I often find that sorting my son's toys is much harder. I remember who gave him what and when or times he played with it.... but I appease myself with the fact that I take lots of pictures and the memories are not in the things. (Thank you Clean House and Clean Sweep.)

After your sort, allow your parents to "shop" through the remains. Let them pick out what toys they may want to keep around for your daughter (or other children). You may (or may not) want to offer that option to the other set of grandparents (if they're in the picture) or anyone else you may visit frequently. Then the rest can be donated or discarded. I think that system holds benefit to many. Good luck!

I agree to get rid of things she's outgrown or store away in the attic (in case you decide to have #2).Leave just a few things at grandma's to keep her occupied when you visit.
By the way, my husband's in the navy too... if you ever need to talk, I'm here! He's a chief on the USS GW.

My son has a toy box at both sets of grandparents house, the solution is easy, her most favorite toys, bring them with you, and leave the ones that she rarely plays with at your mother's that way, when you go for visits, you don't have to worry about bringing toys, and she's going to enjoy seeing these toys, because they're not her "everyday" toy!
Good luck with the move!

I kinda went through this with my daughter's dad when I moved from IN to SC to be with my now hubby. Anything she had doubles of we split. She had tons of books so her favoite ones went with us. As for her toys, things she didn't play with much went with her dad and the rest with her and I. This is also a good time to sort through those toys and get rid of anything she has out grown, missing parts or broken. Is your hubby getting out of they Navy? And if he is, are you moving yourselves or having movers come in? Make sure you know your options between a DITY (do it yourself) and a TMO (movers pack and move it) and the weight limits for his rank.

Good luck to you guys and have a safe move!!

1 / 3