A Good Training Potty for Boys

I would like to get a training potty for my son. He is still way too young but I'd like to have it sitting in the bathroom so he can see it and we can talk about it so he won't be so intimidatted when the time comes. There are a ton out there, and they all look great for little girls. I would appreciate some input from moms with little boys and which ones worked best with them. I'd just rather not have to purchase a bunch before I find a good one. I feel totally lost so thanks ahead!!!

I just used a plain old training potty. It was a Wal-Mart special thing. It had a blue potty seat with a little white stool and catch cup or whatever you call that. You can keep it on the little stool sittin gon the floor and when he gets bigger use the stool for him to stand on to go pee and the seat to sit on on the potty for anything he needs. It worked great for my little one.

I have two boys and neither one of them like the potty chair thing. I bought one of those little seats that fit on the toilet. They have on I beleive Fisher price makes it and it has the plastic guard for boys. . I started at 15 month with bothe of mine and I liked it better they werent afraid of the toilet . Get him used to it by sitting him up there and all.

Hi S. i just read your post. I donot have a boy but my friend was potty training her boy and i found a little urinal at wal-mart. Its called "peter potty flushing toddler urinal". He loved it. Look on their web site. Hope this helps.

I know that this is not exactly what you are asking for, but I wanted to share my potty training experience with you. I have 3 boys, ages 10,9 and 7. The older two were not trained until age 3 1/2. My youngest was potty trained at 18 months. What was the difference? With my third I learned that there is a window of opportunity from about 16 to 20 months. If you miss that window, then most boys don't get potty trained until after age 3. I don't know why. The secret was not asking him if he needed to go potty. I spent a couple of days with him not wearing any pants or a diaper. Every time I thought of it, I would just stick him on the potty. If he sat there, great, if he got up, oh well. I never, ever asked if he needed to go. The answer will always be no. Eventually he went in the potty, and I praised him a lot, and then we went on with our day doing the same thing. He was truly potty trained in two days. Of course there were accidents, but that happens, and then you move on. I hope this will help you. As far as the best potty. I don't think it really matters much.
--H.
mom to 3 boys and one of unknown gender on the way

The best one for boys (or girls) that I found is the Choo Choo Potty. It's obviously shaped like a train, which my son is obsessed with, it makes a choo choo noise and talks, but the best thing about it is that the splash guard actually works! Every other potty we tried the splash guards were a complete joke! The only problem is that I couldn't find it anywhere except www.onestepahead.com and it was pretty pricey with shipping. I just tried to look it up and I don't see it on their website anymore. It's made by Kolcraft. You might be able to find one on Ebay. The other good thing about it is that when your child does #2 they can scoot forward and note make a mess on the back of the seat. With all the other potties and toilet inserts it never seemed like there was enough room in the back and then when he scooted forward the pee went everywhere- out the front of the toilet between the lid. It would help to tell him to point down, but at that age that's not always easy! Good luck! We went through several different ones!

Just get a plain old baby potty. Nothing fancy. I have a boring plain pink one for my daughter, we went out of town and needed one where we were, so I bought a "new and improved" model. This one plays music when they do the deed, the theory is it's a reward. Ours lost it's mind. If you were in the shower, the steam set it off, if there was a humidifier in the room, it went nuts, sometimes it just decided to sing just because it can. AHHHHHHHHH.... Poor Anna was so upset, she just refused to walk in the bathroom for a few days. After pulling the batteries, I discovered there is a small seat that fits on top of the grown up toilet. Anna loved that part, and now we use the $6 part instead of the $20 potty.

hi, S.!

i have a 28 month old little guy and we are using the baby bjorn potty insert (goes on the big potty) and we also have the baby bjorn stand alone potty, although he only likes to sit on that one with this clothing on, but will go potty in the big potty! we purchased all of it at amazon.com and got free shipping. the potty chairs come in a lot of different colors as well!

hope this helps!
-B.

p.s. we've never had any problem with pee-pee coming out from the front of the chair!

The one I got I think was a 3-stages chair. It was white with a soft blue padded cushion for my son to sit on and had a built in cup so pee wouldn't spray out when they sat down. He loved it and I only used it for about 3 weeks, then he was ready for the toilet. It also transferred to s seat that would sit on the toilet itself and the rest of the unit could be used as a stoll. It wasn't the cheapest training seat at Walmart, but I think it was around $20.00 at the most. This was used for my 2nd son...I didn't have a good experience with my first son - but that was 10 years ago and this was a way better seat to learn on. Good Luck.

1 / 3