A Cough and a Vomit.....

Almost three weeks ago my 10 1/2 month old son came down with a little stomach bug. A few days after that he caught a pretty bad cold. During the cold when he would cough really hard it would make him vomit. Fast forward to present time, cold is all but gone, and aside from two days in the last 19 he is still vomiting about once a day (was 3-4 times a day at height of cold) after a he coughs. Took him to his dr. two weeks ago for his 10 month check-up and she told us that we just need to let the cold run it's course and things should get better. It just feels like this may be going on too long. Thankfully, he is good spirits and willing to eat as soon as he's cleaned up. Have a call into our dr. and certain she'll call back soon, but curious to see if any others have experienced something similar.

My 3 year old gets this when she's got a bad cough. It's the mucous that drips down her throat and gets in her stomach. She coughs and pukes it up.... It gets the mucous out.

What helps us is a little benedryll before bed to help stop the nighttime drip....

I am so sorry to hear about your little guy's cough! Could it be an allergy?

My 3 year old had something quite similar to what you described. He coughed so hard that he vomited too! Turns out he is allergic to sugar and cow's milk. We were giving him things and it was bothering him and we had no idea. He had that cough for almost a YEAR before we figured it out.

There is a great book called "is this your child" by Dr Doris Rapp. We did the elimination diet that she talks about in the book to determine what the issue was.

The dr wanted to put him on allergy medications right away before investigating. I am so glad we decided not to medicate him and took it into our own hands.

Sorry for the "novel" here, I just wanted to let you know that I had a similar situation and drs are so quick to medicate. I am really big into natural alternatives if you'd like to hear more about what we did!

Our son had this reaction to TWO of his colds .. turns out he had an ear infection .... that messed with his equilibrium (plus all the poast nasal stuff running into his tummy)thus maing him throw up ....Once the ear infection was taken care of, he stopped throwing up.

Sounds like bronchitis or could be walking pnemonia Poor little guy he may need some antibotics. Put your head up to his chest and listen for cracking sound in lungs.

I am sorry your little man is not feeling well. The vomiting is caused by his coughing, not by an additional stomach bug. Your son has a mighty cough! Your son will stop vomiting once his cough is gone. Please do not worry about the vomiting, it is nothing to be concerned about, especially since he still wants to eat!
Good Luck Momma and I am sure this is bothering you more than him.

My 6 year old daughter had a very similar illness in March. We had the same thing happen with her doctor as well, he said it needed to run it's course, blah, blah, blah....I took her in for a second opinion to a friend's pediatrician and found out she had walking pnuemonia.I then saw a specialist at Delnor who confirmed the diagnosis. Not saying it's the same thing, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

BTW, she needed antibiotics and was better in no time.

Sounds so familiar. My 3yo has a really active gag reflex and tends to hold onto coughs that are from post-nasal drip with colds (rather than coughs caused by something in his chest) but I can't tell you how many times we took him to the pediatrician for coughs that sounded so awful to us when he was a baby, but turned out to be just lingering post-nasal irritation.

He also does the cough and vomit thing, even now. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago he swallowed the wrong way and started coughing - not even that bad, but it was enough to make him vomit in front of a bunch of other kids and their parents (luckly outside!) I knew he wasn't sick, but it's one of those things where it took a few years with him to understand that's how he seems to be built.

Luckily the cold-coughs were better this winter. I hope your little boy just has a similar lingering cough and that he's all better soon!

Both times my son had vomiting with his cold/cough, he had pneumonia. He would also have a relatively low fever that would come and go too. It would be like 100 in the morning, then it would go away for a day, then the next day it would be 100.5, etc. We had to take him to urgent care to get the diagnosis both times.

If this is continuing, and if he has been running a low fever on and off especially, I would insist that your doctor give him a chest x-ray or take him to urgent care where they are generally so thorough that if you tell them your son has a cold and is vomiting, they will automatically do a chest x-ray. I don't want to scare you, it may be a totally benign cold but it's worth checking out.

Hope it all goes well!

1 / 3