A Cougar and My 15 Year Old

Okay, so she may not be old enough to be a cougar, but she's 19 and he just turned 15. Some how he fell head-over-heals for this girl and the feelings seem to be mutual. I do not condone this and want it to stop immediately, but I can't bring myself to bring the police into the matter. I don't think they are having "relations" because they live in different towns.

I am divorced from son's father who lives only 30 minutes from this girl. Son and his father thinks it's okay for son to move with his dad come Christmas time. I think it's a bad idea. Surely if you put enough space between them things will fizzle out, right? Problem is, they have been "dating" since the beginning of summer and it is just getting worse.

My question is...how do I put a stop to it without pushing them closer together? I know that sex is likely to happen and have done a good job keeping them apart, but they both seem "Hell bent" on being together.

NO. the girl does not have mental issues and NO son does not seem older than he is. He is actually very small for his age (he looks 12 or 13) and she is very tall. But no, she's very normal. Yes she's in college and she lives with her parents.

EDITED TO ADD: I would absolutely feel the same way if he were the older one. The reason I am so opposed and concerned is because he has his mind set that he is going to leave everything and every friend he has ever known come Christmas break to move with his dad so he can be 3 hours closer to her. His father is a "That's my boy!" type and thinks it is a great idea that son move up there to be closer. Does that make any sense? lol...I am just seriously concerned.
ANY advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank yoU!

INVOLVE THE POLICE!! She is an ADULT, he is NOT!! This is truly weird. We all know that girls dating older boys isn't as strange as boys dating older girls, especially at these ages. I'm thinking that there must be something mentally wrong with her. I can't imagine ever falling for a 15yo boy at the age of 19. When I was 19 I was falling for men that were in their mid twenties! She must have some kind of mental illness, even if it's just control issues and she likes younger men because she can control them easier.

Keep them apart and call the police. What she is doing is indecent and there has to be SOMETHING they can get her on!

I appreciate that there are so many perspectives, but I would keep it simple. It is wrong that she is interested in him- period. They should not be together- period. You are the mom here and you do get to say that they shouldn't be together.

Having said that, it's tricky with teenage boys because, as others point out and you probably know, being too firm and forbidding something will push them closer together. But by no means does this mean they get to run the show and you have to make rules around things you aren't ok with. Just don't come on too strong.

Ask him questions and let him know you are hearing him. What does he like about her? She seems really important to him, tell him you can see that and ask him to tell you about that. Tell him you wish it could be different for him, that you wish he were older or she were younger. But he's not older, and she's not younger. Put some of the blame off of you- it's not just that I'm not ok with this, it's the state of Colorado!

If they end up seeing each other and having sex, he will tell someone, and someone will call the police. Whether or not you end up in any trouble I don't know, but you won't feel like the mother of the year for knowing and not reporting. You shouldn't be put in that position when you are being a good mom and trying to do the right thing.

So in a nutshell- empathize with his feelings, hear him out. But as his parent, you can not and should not let this happen.

15 today isn't like 15 when I was in high school. And it wasn't *that* long ago. Is he mature for his age? Big? Mature "looking" at least? If so, that might be why the older girl is into him. He looks like a man. They are both still teens. It will fizzle out, space or no space. Just make sure that he knows what a condom is and about STD's and pregnancy. I was a "first time" baby. I would even go so far as to bring it up around the girlfriend. A little embarrassment never hurt anyone.

Why does it bother you so much? I couldn't really get a feeling as to why it's really a problem from the post, and I don't think it's a big deal for 15 and 19 year olds to date. I have SERIOUS issues with people bringing police into it over this type of age gap because it can ruin a 19 year old's life, so I think you're right about that. Would you feel differently if your son was 19 and into a 15 year old girl? Quite honestly, you're really not going to be able to stop it, and you're only going to fan the flames by being so opposed. They may be soul mates, but chances are it will fade sooner than later (especially when a 15 year old boy is involved). PLEASE make sure that he knows he should always use condoms and has access to them. Don't forget to tell him that some girls/women lie about being on birth control to trap guys, so he needs to wear condoms and discuss what would happen if a pregnancy occurred with her. I hate to tell you, but if they've been dating for 3 months or so -the sex is probably already going full blast!

For those who think she's mentally slow or something -that's ridiculous! He's 15, not 5! Have you seen some of the 15 year old guys out there? She's STILL a teenager! In my school growing up there was an 18 year old senior girl who dated a really hot 14 year old 8th grader. People thought it was a little strange, but no one (including parents or administrators) freaked out about it. They were both brilliant by the way. She's not even in her 20s and things have really changed in this day and age. It's not a huge deal if the girl is older now.

He's an underage minor.
She is not. She is a legal aged "adult."

Sex, is bound to happen ya know.... he's a 15 year old boy... and she's older... and sex, will happen...
I hope he does not get her pregnant.
Boys, will not be able to control their urges. Especially a 15 year old boy... who has no experience.
He won't even know, what STD's are.... ?

This is a REAL problem... and will be.

So is he a sophomore in high school and she just graduated or is she a senior in high school?

I do find it strange that a girl this age would be interested in a boy so young. She must be pretty immature.

Have you met her? Is there a way to have her come to your home to have dinner and spend time with the 2 of you?

Maybe she could have her surprise him and come over, especially if his room is a mess and help him clean his room. Maybe help him with his homework.. hang out with his "little friends".. She could help him do his laundry or better yet, teach him how to do his laundry..

You could make his favorite meal of chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and chocolate pudding.. You could send them on an errand to the grocery store to pick up a gallon of whole milk so he can have cereal for breakfast the next day.. she could drive him?

You get the idea.. Do not be this obvious, but if she sees him for his real age, she is going to realize he is just a kid.. Sometimes it is good for a girlfriend to see how her "boyfriend" treats his wonderful and cool mom..

I am sending you strength..

alright... now as a teen who has done this myself... i was 15 and dating a 24 year old i can tell you that pretty much anything said will push them closer together. My mom told me i couldnt move in with the guy... I told her she would either let me or i would run away. She told me i couldnt see him, i told her i would or i would run away... Nothing she did could keep us apart. finally the relationship died. Too much different about us, i wanted to go out with my friends and he wanted to stay home or he would go out partying with his friends and of course at 15 i couldnt go.

I say keep things they way they are for as long as possible. as bad as this sounds... shes in college shes going to find someone else, nevermind the distance between the two. Be prepared for heart break if your son cares that much about her though. let him know that he cant move out until he graduates.

i totally understand where you're coming from, i wouldnt want my daughter (whos 9 months lol) dating a 19 year old when shes 15. i know exactly what it does to you and well all my life ive been dating older guys and its caused me to grow up way faster than i would have liked.

oh & one more thing... if by some chance you think sex may come into play... you NEED to call the cops. make sure he knows about protection and all those other things just in case! but the last thing he needs is a child or an STD... that would be toture for your son and a lot worse than just not being able to be with her. lets face it, who knows what shes doing while shes 3 hours away....

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

You can send them to my house to babysit for the weekend two toddlers 15 months apart should be some really good birth control.. Just kidding... Can you really do anything but express your concerns and hope for the best and let time take it's course. Probably is it a good idea to call the cops probably not but a little hint here and there might not hurt. My brother in law handled it this way he told his son and cougar that he did not approve and that they were not welcome in his house as a couple until the cougar and him came up with some very strong reasons as to why they should be a couple. They all agreed on a date for dinner. Turns out when the 'kids' were preparing for the dinner the cougar dissed the family and the son realized she was what she was all along WHITE TRASH! :) Worked out well in the end.

I don't think she is quite a cougar yet;) If they were both older it would be no biggie at all, heck I have four years on my hubs, but we were 25 and 29 when we met;) Teens of any age should not be engaging in sex, I realize they do this, but I don't think they have more of a chance than any other teens in the world. I mean I think all parents hope and pray their kids don't get into sex etc so young, I would hate for my 19 year old to be engaging in sex outside of marriage as well as my 15 year old. I think it would be good to chill out about it. You know what they say about forbidden love. I don't think she is some kind of pervert or anything, maybe a little immature but that is no crime. If you don't feel their relationship is good, you can tell him to call it quits and see if dad will come online about it. But I think if you go too far with forbidding, you might just push them more together. If she were like 23 or something, yeah really weird and big deal. 19 to me is kind of borderline but I don't find it totally crazy. Have you considered telling them they can date under very specific guidelines. Maybe like only chaperoned and with specific times he can call her etc. You are in a tough spot granted, but I just think if you decide what you will and won't allow and make it kind of hard for them but don't totally forbid they might both decide it just isn't worth the trouble. Good luck mama!!!

1 / 3