A Calm Flight

Does any one know anything about some of the "natural" or homeopathic remedies for calming children. We are planning a 5 hour plane trip next month to Cal. and I thought it might be helpful to have something on hand if my infant son "lost it" on the plane (this is our first flight with him). Although, I try and practice organic and natural care, when available and appropriate for my 9 month old son, I have never used homeopathic remedies and I am concerned about side effects and the lack of support from most regular pediatricians. Any advice on these over the counter remedies from Whole Foods, or any other suggestions are greatly welcomed.

My Mom swears by Rescue Remedy. I've only seen it in drop form and I believe that you can put a couple drops on the skin or in a bottle of water.

You can probably find it at any health food store.

Good luck on the flight.

I do not know about organic treatments.
We travel a lot by airplane. We adopted all three of our children internationally. One from China and two from Vietnam. The flights home from those countries is really LONG. We also travel to CA about once a year and also MA.
Every child is different. Here are somethings that worked for us.
Travel so that naptime is during the flight. Bring lots of snacks, or formula for bottles, or juice. Bring new toys that your child has never seen before. Bring his blanket and stuffed animal if he has one. Make sure he is drinking during landing, in case he gets pressure in his ears. Swallowing helps. Be prepared to get up and walk around. Play quiet games.
You might luck out and get a really baby friendly person close by that will entertain your child. Or you might get someone who wants to sit somewhere else and you get an extra seat.
That reminds me. We always buy a seat for our children. This way we can bring their carseats and put them in that. When one of our children was under 12 months, we use to hold him and not get a seat. That only worked with one of the three.
Good Luck. Have a Nice trip.

The key to not having a crying baby on take-off due to pressure on ears is to delay giving the baby the bottle until the plane is taxing down the runway. If you start too early, he won't continue sucking. A new,small, inexpensive little toy to play with will keep him occupied, at least for a few minutes !

I have been using homeopathy for the past 8 years with much success. I have never expierenced any side affects, even when I have chosen the wrong remedy. The most difficult thing about homeopathy for me is finding the right remedy...but when you do, it works immediately!! The immune system also bennifits tremendousely from the remedy as well. I ahve 4 children ages 9 to 15 and we do not have health insurance. I use homeopsthy all the time for all kinds of things from colds, warts, anxiety, sleeping problems, allergies, and the list goes on!! For a plane ride, I have heard of something called rescue remdy or you could always try chamomille in just about any form...tea, remedy, or I think it even come in an ointment?? Anyway, there is all types of stuff online for this. Just google hoeopathic remedies for calming children. Hope you have a good flight!

Lavender is always a good one. Also bring something with white noise like a tape recorder with ocean waves or something. Prior to the flight when it's nite nite put the lavender and the ocean wave noise in with the baby so he gets used to it. Lavender spritz on his pillow or blankie or get him a flying blanket. Also take a clue from the dog whisperer. If you're anxious then the baby will pick it up and get anxious. If you go in with a clear thought in your head that this is going to be an easy great flight and the air plane is a giant car and the baby sleeps well in the car then it's all going to be great! Go in thinking PLEASE don't let my son be one of those horror stories I hear so much about of freaked out babies on planes... see? Keep your mind clear and your thoughts free and your son will pick it up.

My understanding is that the reason babies lose it on airplanes is the change in pressure that makes your ears clog up and pop. A bottle or a pacifier can help ease this. Also try taking along the baby's carseat, having a familiar place to sit might help him sleep more easily.

where do you live? a friend of mine in McKinney just found a pedi that also uses natural remedies. pretty cool. let me know if you want me to get her contact info.

I have two grown children and one ten year old. I was at a birthday party at Chucky Cheese when my 20 year old was an infant. She would not stop crying! A lady next to us offered me these little-bitty white pills that she had for her baby. She said "honey, I give these to my baby to calm her tummy if you would like to try some, they really work". Of course I said no. But later someone else told me the same thing, so I went to Walgreens and bought some. They work wonders! They are homeopathic, called Hylands, are in the baby section, in a blue & pink box. They have different types, like for teething, colic, etc...These little "wonder pills" calmed my babies! I hope this helps!

Teething tablets work wonders

1 / 3