A 9 Yr. Old Starting to Get a Breast ?

I have a 9 yr old girl who has a bump on her breasts and i am trying to figure out if this is normal for a child to have when getting breasts. it's only on one side. i need to know what to look for in pubity of the breast of a 9 yr old. thanks for reading and god bless.

Thanks to all who answered my question. I took her to her Dr. and as you all said it was just her time to blume. Thanks for the the tips and the books i read them and my girl did too. It helped out alot. Thanks again a once concernd mom. God Bless ya all.

Sounds like the beginning of puberty. Get some books, be OPEN and HONEST and COMMUNICATE with her.

American GIrl has a book called The Care and Keeping of You that is helpful if you are the type to not want to talk to her. However, she NEEDS you to talk and be open....don't be embarrassed...it is normal

I agree with the other posters that this is typically normal. That being said, I would still take her to a pediatrician and have it checked out. A few years ago, I wouldn't have thought anything of it - until my girlfriend's daughter (a little younger than yours) developed a lump on the side of her breast (closer to the armpit). Tragically, it was cancer. A million kids could have that same lump and it would be nothing, and I'd be willing to bet that it is nothing in your daughter's case either. When my girlfriend showed it to me, I blew it off with pre-puberty budding, too. I thought she was over reacting when she took her daughter to the doctor. I certainly don't want to scare you, and I know that I am "over sensitive" to this because of what happened, but it would be worth a trip to the pediatrician just to have a look-see.

God bless you and yours as well.

Breast Buds.

Yes, I have heard that it can begin from 9 years old nowadays.
Just take her to the Doctor.
Sometimes, the breast buds appear and will go away... per the changing hormones.
So check with the Ped.

Yes, I ditto the American Girl series. I already bought that, even though my girl is only 7.

All the best,
Susan

yes it is normal.. girls start breast development and hair growth about a year or so before they have their periods..

I have heard that puberty starts about 80 pounds and the first period is at about 100 pounds..

It is quite common for a 9yr.old girl to start breast formation at her age. Of course you would notice something prior to her breasts' actually coming out to formation but it won't take long. As for the bump you are feeling or seeing I wouldn't be concerned, like I said you will find this on the other side soon enough and it goes on from there. If she is already showing signs of breasts', then if you havent' talked to her about menstral periods and how nature works, its a good time to start but don't scare her. Let her know that this is the nature of a maturing young girl. If she notices' bleeding or spotting to let you know and you will help her, just don't stand in the bathroom watching her, this is a particularly embarrassing moment for her.
Take care mom, your little girl is growing up.

I agree; beginning breast development at this age is normal. However a bump on one breast may not be normal. Is the bump firm? If so it really needs to be checked out. Breast buds are soft and usually start on both sides at the same time.

You have received some good information about girl's development and things to do. But, do take your daughter to the doctor to be sure this is breast development and not a tumor or cyst.

I recently took my 8 year old to the Dr for the same thing. They are called breast buds and can start as early as 7 or 8 in some children. Sometimes your daughter might have some tenderness. The pediatrian also stated that usually after they start budding within a year or so, menuastration can start. The pediatrian suggest a book by The American Girl colllection, I think it is my body and me. I am going to purchase it for my daughter. I hope this helps answer your question.

it seems you already have gotten some great advice, and I'd also say to take her to the pediatrician just to be cautious, but also so she/he can also assure you and your daughter that all she's about to go through is completely normal. Also girls can definitely start even younger than her (I started much earlier) and one starting before the other is common as well. Good luck on your new adventure through puberty =).

Updated

...oh btw at least for me early breast development didn't mean I started ovulating early. That still waited several years until I was in 6th grade (in training bra in 1st--imagine my mom's horror =). )

1 / 3