9 Year Old with Stomach Ache

My 9 year old daughter has been complaining about a stomache ache for the past 3 or 4 days. She has not run a fever at all but has been very tired. The area she is showing me is right around her belly button. She says it hurts inside but not like a muscle strain. She also says it hurts almost all the time. I am getting very concerned and plan on taking her to the doctor on Monday. Just thought i would see if I could get any thoughts on this.

Thank you everyone for all of the responses. We ended up in the emergency room last night because she was doubled over and crying in pain. They ran all kinds of tests and did a CT scan. She was clear on all of that. They said it is a stomach virus and she was a little dehydrated from lack of eating or drinking anything. They pumped her full of fluids and she seems to be feeling a little better today although she still doesn't want to eat or drink much. Again, thanks for all of your help.

First off I am sorry to hear your daughter isn't feeling well. At this point if your daughter is still in pain, I wouldn't wait to take her to the doctor. Abdominal pain can be a sign of signifigant problems. I know it may seem like it's over kill to take her to the ER especially since she is nornal other than the abdominal pain. Symptoms are there to tell you something is wrong. She has been in pain for several days without improvement. I would take her to the ER. It's better to be safe than sorry. Things that come to mind are abdoninal hernia or early signs of apendisitis. Apedisitis symptoms as far the pain goes, doesn't always develop on the right side. Some people complained of pain near the belly botton or on the left side. That would be worse case senario. It could be something as simple as a muscle tear or mild case of stomch flu. I know it's a pain to go to the ER sometimes but if it were my child I would go just to be safe. I hope everything works out and she feels better soon.

A. H.

There is a stomache virus going around. My oldest has it now too and she has bad stomache aches and they seem to get worse when she eats or drinks. The Dr's office said that it can last 1- 2 weeks and lasts the longer time if the child also has diareah which my daughter also has. She doesnt' have a temp either. They said to make sure she drinks enough so she urinates at least every 8 hours otherwise she could become dehydrated they said not to worry about not eating so much. They said to try tums, mylanta etc to see if that helps with settling the stomache. Not much you can do but these things it's a virus and just needs time to pass. I didn't take my daughter in I just called for info to see what else we should do and we had it all covered. My daughter is also sleeping alot more as well.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go to a doctor as soon as possible!

I hate to alarm you, but this sounds to me like it could be an appendicitis. Read this from Web MD: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/appendicitis-topic-ove...

Here's another link regarding Abdominal Pain, Age 11 and Younger: http://children.webmd.com/tc/abdominal-pain-age-11-and-yo...

Please ask her when the last time she had a BM, was it soft, hard, watery, large/small amount. To me it sounds like she may be stopped up a bit. she can rub her stomach in a circle going from right to left as that is how the colon flows. Make sure she is drinking lots of water.

Hope it helps.

Glad you went to the ER. It never hurts and, even if there's nothing serious wrong in the end, it does wonders with helping YOU sleep and be better rested to stay focused. My son had an epigastric hernia when he was 8 or 9 and he had (what appears to be) the exact same symptoms your daughter describes. It took several visits to the Dr. before it was diagnosed. He had a VERY minor surgery to repair it and immediately felt better. However, I also will tell you that they believe he may be developing another one. Please continue to monitor her and ASK HER QUESTIONS about how that spot feels.

As an aside, my 14 year old daughter also has similar symptoms when she gets strep. She no longer has tonsils/adenoids, and strep ALWAYS presents as a stomach ache (rarely a fever) and ALWAYS a funky smell to her breath. If you will make it a point to smell your kids' breath when they've been diagnosed with strep, you will probably begin to recognize that odor in the future. My daughter can even tell herself if she's got strep by the smell of her own breath. She's right 100% of the time!

Good Morning M., Definitely take her to her Dr. Could be a strained tendon or even the start of a imbilcal hernia.

Alot of the muscles and tendons travel down and attach in the lower tummy area. Our 9 yr old grand daughter complained of her tummy hurting ( same area )right after eat or when she needed the bathroom and would hold it to long. I do not remember what they finally said it was, it just went away.
AND she stopped trying to hold in her pee so long :)

I hope you get answers ASAP to your little girls discomfort.

I don't know anything about apendixes, but it could be her galbladder. I know it sounds like something an older person would have problems with, but I was 25 years old when my galbladder started causing me problems. I had it removed a week after an ultrasound showed it had stones & 'sluge' in it. It is not very common in someone as young as I was. I to did not have a fever. For me it was like a nawing ache & was uncomfortable, but not painful. My mother said her feelings were the same way when she had her's removed. I have heard that it can be painful.
Also, if her dr. seems to blow her pain off as nothing, Please get a 2nd opinion!

God Bless!

My 11 year son had what sounds very similar. The doctor said it was acid reflux and limited his diet to very little to no dairy for a few days and put him on mild medication. Good luck. I hope it's nothing serious.

1 / 3