9 Year Old Daughter with Very Scary Thoughts

About 6 months ago my 9 year old daughter started having scary thoughts about violent things, including suicide. She has been a little moody, and I do notice that the problem is worse when her schedule has been too busy or she is overtired. But her thoughts go to scarier places than I am comfortable feeling are within "the norm." She has had terrible feelings that someone might get into the house and hurt us or her. She cried uncontrolably one night about that fact that "M. and dad were going to get old and die someday." But the scariest part is that she has said many times that maybe going to heaven sooner would be better than living. She has said that sometimes she thinks of suicide so that she doesn't have have the troubles of adulthood. She has even said that a voice has told her to "do it" - meaning suicide. She just started seeing a therapist last week, and her school counselor is helping, and my husband and I are going to take a parenting class with a psychologist. So I feel like we are on the right professional track. And we have made some improvements to our schedules to keep things routine and getting good sleep. I guess I'd like to know if any of you had a young child go through violent, traumatic or sucidal thoughts and come back to their whole and happy selves. I am obviously desperately worried that life is never going to be the same, and that I am always going to wonder if those thoughts are in her mind. Any advice is welcome.

Another update (for encouragement to someone else who might go through this.) Things are going very well so far. My daughter went through just 4 counseling sessions (although, she and I had nightly conversations for weeks - that I'll admit were exhausting, but absolutely critical.) Her anxiousness has reduced because we are figuring out her stressors. And SHE is figuring out her stressors. She is not very assertive and when she starts to get "overrun" by the people she is with it stresses her badly. Also, her very sensitive spirit (she has alot of empathy towards others, and thinks about God, life and death) is more protected now. We have eliminated nightly news entirely, keep the newspaper out of sight, avoid movies and books with stressful themes, or violence - not that we watched anything over PG/PG-13 (but those vary greatly.) Alot of listening and reminding her that just because you have a thought does not mean it's going to happen. Taking our thoughts captive - through Jesus's power, through practice, talking with the people who love us. What is great is that we've been telling her to protect herself, that we will not always be there to turn off a movie, or know that a book she is reading might have a stressful storyline. She is learning to set boundaries for herself. I will not fool myself into thinking such a big issue is gone or might not still be lurking under the surface - rearing it's head with hormonal changes and whatever else will come our way. But to any other M. who had a young child who talks about suicide - don't label them or judge them as imbalanced. Our world holds alot of concerns and some kids take them very seriously. Start by understanding, shielding and empowering them. Reduce their schedule and take time for them. Make sure you are careful that they do not connect your attention every time with them being in an emergency. Daily, normal changes without fanfare. I believe only God's love, compassion, his Word, forgiveness and relationship with him will carry my daughter through. We may have more counseling help ahead, but our prayers are being heard. Thank you again for your letters, comments and emails - it has been amazing. Update so far - we have seen our counselor twice and both visits seemed pretty good. The counselor is not diagnosing her with anything, or giving her any medication at this time. My daughters severe anxious nights (with alot of crying and stress) have decreased signficantly. Serious conversations continue, though, as we have still spoken twice a week or so about her fears of "What if she did it (meaning suicide) if..." and she will put something behind that statement - worrying that if she fails at something maybe she would "do it." I am working on her diet - reducing sugar and am definately going to explore the vitamin D. We also did a church service project helping out a local organization together - making a difference in the world. She made the statement, "It feels so good to FINALLY help." So I am trying not to panic. Keeping things "level" in our home. And keeping my eyes wide open to what she may need as we keep going through counseling. I deeply appreciate some of your personal and careful answers to my question. I was truly encouraged and am using alot of the advice that you shared. Thank you, Moms!

Has she taken any medications lately? There are a lot of allergy medications on the market that have the potential for these kinds of side effects.

If she hasn't taken anything like that, and even if she has, really, then I'd say you are on the right track.

I have a good friend who has some mental health issues that require her to take meds. She is a happy, well adjusted grandma these days, who just celebrated her 25th wedding anniversary. So know that even if she has problems that require medication, it doesn't mean that she can't have a happy life.

If it is a chemical imbalance... only a Psychiatrist, can prescribe anything.
But you are doing good, by getting her intervention and a school counselor and taking a class with a Psychologist.

Also, is anyone putting things into her head? Peers? Other kids? Any trouble at school?

I wish you the best,
Susan

I am the M. of 3 kids, and have been a teacher since 1984. Although I can give you examples of children I know who have been through similar phases, the best thing I can tell you is that you are on the right track. In no way is this a lifetime sentence to mental health problems, but it CAN be, and high-quality therapy and possibly medication is crucial at this age.

I have seen many kids who have come out of severe anxiety and depression with help, and gone on to lead normal teen and adult lives. There are some who live with bipolar tendencies their whole lives, but are able to control the symptoms. I've also seen a couple of kids who did not get better, and were eventually diagnosed as shizophrenic and unable to live "normally"- but this much rarer than you're probably imagining. As I said, you're doing all the right things.
The world is scary and big at this age. The realization that bad things happen, that people die, that she can't control so many things... and neither can Mommy or Daddy... all frighten even the most mellow child. In that respect, so much of what she's going through is normal. But, as you well know, the suicidal thoughts, the "voice", etc. make it critical that she receive help to handle these fears.

You may never know "for sure" that she's well and in a good place emotionally. But the truth is, none of us can ever be sure about the well-being of our children- we just HOPE. Trust your instincts, reach out for support (there are wonderful groups for families dealing with these things), and have faith that all will be well. Blessings!

I have heard that low vitamin D can play a role in mental illness. In spite of sun exposure and taking cod liver oil I learned this week that I am deficient in vitamin D which surprised me. You never know unless you are tested. I would suggest getting her levels tested and then if she is deficient research and start therapeutic dosages of D3 and see if this helps improve things. Of course I suggest doing this in addition to getting professional help from a mental health practitioner.

I would also suggest getting rid of cable (and don't watch the news with her!) There is a lot of violence and scary content that our kids are exposed to that we don’t even think about because our society has been so desensitized. Your daughter sounds very sensitive and could be easily affected by these things.

I also suggest praying with her and teaching her to pray for peaceful happy thoughts and relief from anxiety, worry and negative, violent or scarythoughts. I read a book for adults called God’s Plan for Lasting Peace of Mind: Breaking the Worry Habit… Forever By Elizabeth George and it helped me significantly with my worry/anxiety “habit.” There are similar books for children. Here is just one link:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?...

Also google EFT. I've never tried it but have heard amazing things and if my child were in this state of mind I would try it. Can't hurt!

I copied a little bit of the information I found about vitamin D and mental illness below. The link to www.vitamindcouncil.org/mentalIllness.shtml may be helpful.
I’m sorry you are going through this and hope that some of these suggestions help.

Study: Vitamin D Deficiency, Mental Disorders
10/15/2008
A recent study of 53 patients at a private psychiatric clinic—who suffered from bipolar disorder, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder or schizo-affective disorder—found that 60 percent were suffering from severe vitamin D deficiency, 11 percent were moderately deficient and, overall, the patients had vitamin D levels about 29 percent lower than a group with no mental illness.
The study has prompted researchers to wonder if vitamin D deficiency (which has long been linked to depression) may also contribute to psychiatric conditions such as personality disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Source: The Sydney Morning Herald