9 Year Old Daughter Maturing Too Soon

I have a beautiful 9 year old daughter maturing quickly. No, she has not started her period, but she is developing in all the other areas. Her pediatrician says it is "normal", but I am don't agree. I am looking for a endocrinologist (pediatric), but until I get in to see a doctor, I wanted to know what other moms are experiencing with your young daughters maturing.

Wow! Thank you all for the comments and support. I have a better understanding, and you all reminded me that I must be mindful of my words. I certainly do not want her to be ashamed. BTW, I started early, at age 11. I felt I was the only one in school to be going through the changes at the time. A classmate was going through my purse one day and found a pad. She gasped, and other girls found out --- I was so embarrassed. So, I guess you all can understand my feelings on the subject. However, hearing your comments really helped. Plus, I will hold off on the specialist stuff. Again, thank you all!

For what it's worth, my OB/GYN said early puberty is not directly related to the growth hormones in chicken and other food products. I asked her this when I was pregnant with my daughter who is now six. She said it is a weight-related issue. Menstration and body changes start appearing around the 100 pound mark. Some girls are reaching that weight earlier making it appear we've got a new norm for puberty. My daughter is only 6 and weighs 47 pounds, so I can't say that I've had any experience in proving her point yet, but I'd rather believe that than worry about everything that goes in my mouth even though we are careful about what we eat. Again, that was six years ago, and I've not asked her about it since. Maybe she's changed her opinion.

My sis-in-law told me about the same thing happening to a friend's daughter. And she ended up starting her period in the 3rd grade shortly after developing early.

Their doctor (they live in Austin) told them to try taking her off all products with hormones and buy (especially meat and dairy products) at whole foods or some other organic meats. They began that and she stopped having her period and lost some of the breasts she had been developing. She also had gotten a few hairs under her arms and it went away too. The dr. told them that the growth hormones in meat, chicken, eggs, etc. can cause that reaction in children.

It's worth a try. It actually makes sense to me how that could happen. We try to avoid the growth hormones in what i feed my daughter now. She is only 2 but I guess you can never start to early.

I started developing that early also. My mom freaked out and took me to an endocrinologist who monitored me for 2 years, only to come to the conclusion that I was perfectly normal, just an early developer. I was 5'9" and wore a B cup by 5th grade. I'd think she's probably just fine.

I developed breast tissue at the age of seven (wore a training bra by age 11). I went through a barage of tests at Children's growing up and nothing was not normal in any of my results. I know it traumatized me more than it satisfied my mother. I still have body image issues because it was such a big deal. My advice would be it is one thing to learn about her early development and another to run her through a series of tests that make her feel that there is something wrong with her. As a mother I know that our family is just genetically predisposed to develop early, of course I'd run the blood work for other conditions but after that unless something came up in the results, I'd just support her early development with good examples of what it is to be a young lady (proper clothing, proper behavior, how to deal with emotions and body image). Also try to remember that this means boys will be attracted earlier in life, she may be teased, she may be dealing with many other things socially that normally would be saved for 3-4 years from now. So be sensitive to her needs.

Yes, this a growing problem brought on by all of the hormones found in food. Chickens are pumped with hormones which affect the eggs we eat and their meat. Cattle as well, milk, hamburger, steak. Don't forget pork, the biggest culprit. Look over the diet your family is eating and access how much of these products you consume in a week, month and then year.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too soon"... do you mean literally that you think this can't be right? That it's impossible for a 9-year-old to naturally develop to this point?

I am 100% certain that you are wrong. I started to develop that early myself. I had the beginnings of breasts and had started growing pubic hair at that age, among other changes. My period was very very early in 5th grade.

My oldest (nearly 20) started everything much much later than I did; however, my next daughter (9 years old) is not quite as early as I was, but is definitely closer to the timeframe I experienced.

PLEASE stop deciding that this is WRONG and just start talking to your daughter, in a "hey, guess what! You've got some cool new stuff coming!" kind of way. DO NOT MAKE HER FEEL WEIRD ABOUT THIS. As someone who lived through this very situation, I can tell you how awful it is to feel weird - it was odd enough to not have many friends who could relate (thank goodness for my friend with the giant boobs... ha!), but to have your mom act like you're some kind of out-of-control mutant is just too much. And yes, that's how it will feel to a poor kid in the grip of puberty hormones.

I am only 38, so I guess it wasn't all THAT long ago, and it's not like puberty's all that fun for anyone - but I hope this helps you to see what it is that your daughter will TRULY need from you during this time.

Good luck to you both!

Hi!
I teach fourth grade and every single year I have about four little nine or ten year old girls start their periods. I feel so bad for them taking on this responsibility at such a young age but our school nurse says that now this is the norm!

I know you've gotten tons of responses and have already updated but everyone is right, it's more normal than I would like, too. My daughter is turning 11 next month and I can not believe how much she changed this past school year with the growing. Even her four year old twin brothers have noticed (LOL) and say "sissy girl has big boobies!" Nothing like little brothers! Anyway, glad everyone calmed you down, it's tough letting these little girls grow up. Kind of off the subject, but just protect her by helping her pick out clothes that are modest because one thing I've noticed is how these girls start to mature and then start dressing in a way that brings male (young and old) eyes right to those areas - that's what bothers me.....

I developed very early too. Who knows what contributes to this. You should still see a doctor to get a professional opinion. I was in a size c cup before anyone else was wearing bras. If you daughter is active in sports she will start her period later as her fat cell count will be lower. Just let her know that her body is nothing to be ashamed of.

I can see why your scared and nervous, our daughters seemed to be growing up so fast in our eyes. My daughter started her period just last Thursday at age 11, but this age is when I started and even my mom started. She started growing hair down there at age 9, very little but it was happening. She also started wearing a training bra in the 3rd grade, now she is in a A cup almost a B going into the 6th grade. Everything your experiencing is totally normal. Girls have started everything earlier in this day in age compared to waaaaay back then thanks to enviormental estrogen that's in everything, that includes food, plastic bottles and even tap water. I didn't even believe this at first but after much research and talking to my doctor this is all true. What is strange is my daughter doesn't even have hair under her arm and she's no even ready to shave her legs but everything else she has experienced. Don't worry, she is just growing up and and maturing, it's scary and makes us sad that they are becoming women. It's all apart of growing up 

1 / 3