9 Mos. and Refuses Any Vegetables, Help.

Hello again my motherhood angels. We have a new phase at our house. My daughter is 9 months old. She used to have no problem eating Gerber stage 1 and 2 babyfoods, even all the vegetables. The problem is now we live in a foreign country where they do not sell pre-made baby food and I have to make my own. No biggie, I don't mind. The problem is, now she refuses to eat any vegetables. She gags, fights, and flat out refuses. The only things I can get her to eat are Baby cereal for breakfast (on a good day), yogurt for lunch, and some fruit at dinner. My question was, is it okay to try adding spices to the veggies? Like brown sugar or cinnamon to carrots? If so, does anyone out there have any other "Tricks of the Trade"? Please offer any advice you can, I'm worried that she may be missing important vitamins by not eating her greens or carrots.

Thank you once again to all the wonderful Moms who responded with ideas, websites, and books to check out. It all worked. What I ended up doing was just buckling down and getting creative (even though I am a kitchen idiot who can't cook!)

Since she's nine months, she's been given the go ahead for most foods including all dairy and since she likes dairy, that's where I started.

Now she's eating Spinach mixed with Cream Cheese, Peas with Sour Cream, and Carrots blended with Pears. For her cereal, I add some juice or apple sauce, and she's scarfing it all down. Even Vegetable soup pureed with a little yogurt (gross I know, but she loved it!)

Also, a lot of you pointed out the consistancy, and that was a problem, so now I just blend, blend, blend in the blender until it's really soupy and thin. I figure I will not rush her for more solid stuff yet as she is clearly not ready.

A thousand thanks to you all. You would never believe I had a 15 yr. old. Sometimes I feel like I've forgotten everything and I really depend on you angels to refresh my memory. They really should come with instructions, but until then I know I have you guys. Much love to all mommys and their darlings!!!!

Hi P.,
Do they have V8 Splash there? It's a V8 drink that I have to give to my son because he refuses veggies too (& most fruits). I just mix it with water & he loves the Strawberry Banana flavor. It doesn't have artificial sugar, so I'm very happy with it. If they don't have that over there, then maybe you could try cooking the veggies in low sodium chicken broth? And when my son 1st started refusing his veggies we tried adding butter (which his pedi said was fine). We just use a little real butter & that helped some. Also, we would mix some veggies in his cereal... that was a big hit! :) I wouldn't put sugar or sugar products in her veggies, because too much sugar is not good either. Good luck!
Sincerely,
A.

My 9 month old daughter has never liked it when I try to make my own veggie baby food. She does however seem okay with the veggies (carrots, potatoes, broccoli, peas, green beans, peas & sweet potatoes) if I cook them extra so they are softer than what I would eat and cut them up into pea size pieces (I squish the peas enough to break the skin).
I think the fact that she is able to feed herself makes it more fun and she seems to eat quite a bit of veggies that way.

Gosh, difficult questions. As for cinnamon, I would take it easy on that, it can cause some stomach upset so go easy on it. Maybe try some "alspice" instead. Also, try boiling your carrots in pineapple or apple juice then mashing, they get a bit of sweetness without adding the sugar! Also, spices are okay. If you check the Gerber labels like spinach, it is also prepared with powdered onion and such for flavor. Also, try mixing the fruits and veggies, no one ever said they had to be seperate.
At 9 months, my son was ready to try table foods and also ended up preffering them to baby food. He loved tamales (even the spicy ones!!). My daughter was content to eat baby food until she was about 15 months and I finally said no more!! (of course she was BF much longer too).
If you blenderize the baby veggies, try mixing them up with some table foods too. Blenderize some green beens, or spinach with some tomato sauce and pour over cut up spaghetti.
Apples can mix with just about anything, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beens. Cheese and broccoli, cucumbers and pears. Mix, mix, mix!

I really think it's fine to mix in some spices if you think that will help. At our 9 mth check up the doc said that our baby could have anything we were eating, just puree it up. Like the other mommas said, I'd be careful about too much salt, but I know good moms who mixed spices in with their babies' foods. Good luck to you!

Hi P.,
Sincerely,
A.

I had this same trouble when I first started feeding my DD home made veggies and such. The main problem that I found was the texture, not the taste. The Gerber jars have such smoothly pureed foods that there almost isn't a texture, and it's hard to get that same silky smoothness from home. We just persisted, and with time DD learned to enjoy the textures of new foods. GL!

hi there. i, too, make baby food at home. my little one sometimes "gags" too. i found that the food was too thick. didnt look that way to me but when i watered it down (to almost a soupy consistency) Will ate it all. you may try that. also, cooking with a little no salt butter, fresh herbs, etc is fine according to the baby cookbook i go by - "Top 100 Baby Purees" by Annabel Karmel. you might be able to order it online. it is terrific and helps when i run out of recepies. good luck.

Try different textures as well. I went through a making my own baby food kick a couple of weeks ago, and my 9 month old didn't like anything I made. But, he would eat the same flavors out of the jars. I realized it was a texture thing. If I puree the foods really thoroughly, he likes them more.

Hi,,,
well as we all know many people are vegatarians and yougert is great for the body at 9 mths have you tryed giving her a green to just pick up and eat she has teeth ,or carrtscooked,,,mash potatoes off your plate ,,give her a good multi vitiam everyday i bet she'll be great
good luck L.

www.wholesomebabyfood.com has some great recipes that use spices. It's a wonderful free reference.

1 / 3