9 Month Old with Acne

Hi Everyone,

My son has developed acne on his cheeks. Its not bad, just a few bumps here and there. My pedi suggested putting a thin layer of 1% hydrocortisone cream on his skin once a day. I have been doing this for about 2 weeks and have not seen any change, in fact the acne is traveling up his face now. I keep his face clean all day. I am a nursing mother and am thinking maybe it is something I am eating that is making him break out. Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks,

H. W.

My son has the same problem and I use the 1% hydrocortisone OINTMENT as oppose to the cream. It seems to work better also I sometimes layer it with Aquaphor to seal it in. That's only if it gets really bad. I put it on at night before he sleeps. He still gets it once in while, but it was much better than before. Please note that the hydrocortisone is only used if there is visible signs of the acne or ezcema I would not recommend to put it all the time because from what I read that it sometimes bleaches the skin, but that is with over usage. For maintance I put Vaseline CREAM. I did also cut out dairy from my diet and am just taking calcium pills. Hope that helps!

H.,

Put some breastmilk on his cheeks. Breastmilk has wonderful healing properties to it in addition to being the greatest food source for babies. I know it sounds crazy,but it works~

Molly

Hi H.,
My little 3 month old has the same thing. It's eczema, not real acne. I bf her and found that cutting out dairy entirely as well as onions, garlic, and peppers helped keep it from flaring up so badly. Also, I only use a damp rag to wash her face and switched to using Cetaphil gentle non-foaming soap and lotion-- you don't even have to use water for it to clean. Just put it on and wipe it off. The last thing I did was start washing her stuff in dye-free and fragrance -free laundry detergent. The combination of all this is that she only gets a little flare up if she's too hot or I'm sweaty. Your son just has sensitive skin. The best thing we did was the switch to Cetaphil and not giving her a full on bath except once a week. Otherwise, we just do the baby "sitz" bath and wipe her face off with Cetaphil and damp rag.

I hope this helps!

Hi H..
One of my twin daughters has had the same as you describe practically since birth and she will be 16 months tomorrow. My doctor recommended the same and it did nothing. Then he suggested that I take her to a dermatologist when she turned a year old. My dermatologist does not specialize in pediatrics. He got the diagnosis right (he even pointed out that she has little bumps on the back of her arms that are colorless but I never realized it) but gave us the meds to dry it out. It is a form of eczema. It is a sign that she is prone to asthma, hay fever etc.
My friend's dad does specialize in pediatric dermatology and he said that it needs to be clean with water only, no soap, and then once a week an anti bacterial soap and moisturize it a lot every night. I used Cetaphil cream and now he has given us a couple prescriptions to try. If treated properly, it will go away for good.

It has gotten worse and better and worse again. It could also be an allergy. I suggest you see a dermatologist.

Molly is right- breastmilk does wonders. Try that.
He also may have what is called excema. Check into it. It looks like really bad acne, my nephew had it. They had to put ointment on him religiously for a while but it has gone away.

Hi H.,

I'm surprised that people are suggesting adult acne products for your baby. If it is eczema (sounds like your ped might think so) perhaps try using the hydrocortisone cream 2x a day with cream (we love baby Keihl's) after it is absorbed. That is what we did and it worked great. Of course, check with your Dr. first. Mine said that eczema is like a little fire...you can put it out but if the coals are still hot it can flair back up. If you are diligent in the hydrocortisone cream use it should clear up quickly and completely (if it's eczema).

You might try cutting dairy out of your diet for a couple days and see if that is it. A friend of mine had a baby that kept getting acne and it was a dairy allergy from her breastmilk. I think another mother suggested removing items one by one until you find the culprit. That seems like a good idea.

T

My son used Proactiv Solution as a teenager, and it cleared up his skin and kept it clear. It is pricey, but it works. However, I do not know if it is safe to use that on infants. You might try their website (www.Proactiv.com) to see if it gives any information on using it on young children. If you do decide to try it, be warned that because of the peroxide in it, it will bleach out any towels and bedding you use for your son.

One of my friend's children had baby acne while she was breastfeeding also. My children never had it so I cannot comment on what we did, however, I believe she used Phisoderm on her little girl and it eventually went away. Her daughter has no scarring and beautiful skin. I agree with one of the other women though, I'd find a pediatric dermatologist. They would know better.

My husband just reminded me that our daughter did have baby acne. I'm trying to search my memory bank for what we did. :-) With each kid, I lose more memory. If I remember correctly-- it came around the time she had thrush and the Dr. had prescribed oral Nystatin. Again, if I am remembering correctly we just rubbed a little of the oral Nystatin on the acne and it went away. I know we did not use the Phisoderm but my friend did.

1 / 3