9 Month Old with a Cold

My son Zachary has had a cold for the past few days now. It's your common symptoms-sneezing, runny nose, cough. It's all clear mucus so I know it's not an infection. My problem is that neither one of us is getting much sleep, he wakes up every fifteen minutes because he can't breathe well. I have suctioned and I also have a humidifier going. But is there any medicine he can take to help clear his nose so we can both sleep at night? He is a very big boy (26lbs.) so I am wondering if it is okay to give him some medicine. I know I need to ask the doctor, but I need to get some sleep tonight seeing as I work tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for all the great advice! I used my humidifier as usual and also used some baby vicks vapo rub on his chest. He slept from 8pm until 4am. It was good for both of us. Thanks again!

I would caution you on the over the counter cough medicines. There were several warnings months ago about giving children under 2 over the counter cold medicines. They make Little Noses for infants and toddlers. I would try that and possibly putting a pillow under his mattress so his head is elevated...better yet, make daddy get up tonight ;)...good luck

My doctor always told me to give the kids PediaCare, use a vaporizor, vapo rub since it helps with the breathing thing, and yes the humidifier is great too. Elevate his head... a pillow or cushion under his mattress and then just ride it out. I know that sound crazy but hey it workd for my babies. Good Luck!

My son had a cold at 6 months and the pediatrician recommended Triaminic. It helped clear him up enough to eat and sleep...and as the pediatrician said, he needs sleep to get better! She did say to never give them medicine with cough suppressant in it, so I gave him Triaminic cold and allergy.

This is a link to my pediatricians' website (Pediatric Partners in O.P.), which has dosage info on it.
http://www.doc4kidz.com/faqotcdosage.htm

I am a mother of 3 and a childcare provider. My little one has a cold now too. I have found that Childrens Dimatapp works Wonders!!
Check with your Doc. before giving anything! Good Luck!

Our doctor told us to give Dimetapp Cold & Allergy (purple label) 1/2 tsp. every 4 hours. For a cough, Dimetapp Cold & Cough (burgundy label) 1/2 tsp. twice a day. Unfortunately if he is waking up every fifteen minutes, he probably has an ear infection. I know that when my daughter gets an ear infection that's what she does, because when you lay them down there is a lot of pressure from the fluid behind their eardrum. So I would make an appointment with your doctor asap, because ear infections are no fun and after about a day or so he should start feeling better, granted that they give you an antibiotic for the ear infection. Good luck!

Ah, colds!! We have 4 children who had allergies, plus the usual mucous, sometimes running into pneumonia, diarrhea. By finding the cause of their allergies, food related--milk, fats etc. they gradually outgrew the worst part, but still have to be careful of acidic foods, etc. and they are all now in their 40's and 50's!

By addressing the basic culprit, you can avoid using so much medication, which usually just offers a temporary relief, if that. I also have trouble and when I used the cool, moist air vaporizer, it would send me into bronchitis----the same as being outside on a cold, damp day, but now I take Claritin or an equivalant, every day, an asthma inhaler, Dr.,ordered, and have not had a cold for several years. Our kids still have to be careful of cold drafts etc. Good Luck!! It seems that there are more allergies out there, these days, and your body naturally builds up phlegm to dispell the excess mucous---

Also, I worked at a hospital for 30 years and found that the moist vaporizer was moldy inside, and was putting out germs, and most of us at the nurses station, kept getting strep!! Which stopped, after they removed the offending vaporizer@!

P.

Hey, D.! My name is K.. I have a 9-month old, too and we went through this same thing a few weeks ago. It was horrible. Every time my little girl sneezed it was like her face exploded! We tried some Dimetap that our dr. had given us before. I called our pediatrician and the nurse there recommended a different kind of Dimetap. Our baby is big, too - she was about 23 pounds so we tried a couple of different things - always keeping in mind to alter the dose. We ended up sticking with Robitussin Pediatric Cold and Cough. We gave her about half to 3/4 teaspoon every eight hours and it helped a lot. And, don't be too concerned if the mucous turns a little green - the nurse said that it was because she needed to take in a little more fluids.

Hope this helps. I feel your pain!!

Take care - K.

You can call your local walgreens and ask the pharmacist...they can tell you what is safest to take and exact dosages...even if it's not on the label.

I would give him a little bit of Benadryl for babies!

D.,
My son and I just got over a cold and our pediatrician recommended Infants' Tylenol Cold. Call your ped for a dosage for your son. He said DO NOT give an infant a cough suppressent; only a decongestant (they can get pneumonia of they don't break up the mucus in their chest by coughing). It worked pretty well to give him some relief.
Good luck!!!

1 / 3