9 Month Old Who Still Doesn't Sit Unsupported and Hasn't Begun to Crawl Yet.

I am a new mother to a 9 month old little boy and I'm a little bit concerned that he hasn't begun to crawl yet. He still cannot sit without a little bit of support. I've put him on his tummy for tummy time and he just gets angry and rolls back onto his back when he can't figure out how to actually get going. I think he'll actually walk and just skip the crawling phase but I'm not sure. I know all children develope at their own rate but Is there maybe something wrong? Did I do something wrong? I try to work with him at both sitting and crawling but he just refuses to do either because he gets aggitated too easily. He was born an 8 pound baby and is about 32 pounds now- At MONTHS! His father is a very large man, not fat just built large and so I think he's got his size from his daddy. Could it be that he just cant support his BIG heavy head enough to sit up? Any suggestions would be a GREAT help!

I would not be too worried about either problem my daughter took a long time to sit and crawl, she is now 2 & 1/2 and goes non stop all day. As far as being 32lbs at 9 months my nephew was the same way he was 35 lbs he justed stayed that weight till he was almost 2 now he is 8 and the thinnest boy in the family.

My guess is it is his size. I have a 4 year old who weighs 35 pounds. Make sure you are not feeding him too much too often. My first child was "big"...much bigger than the other 3, but he was still under 30 pounds at a year (just over 20 pounds). If he has always seemed to cry often, it could be that he is allergic to something...many doctors say acid reflux, but it is most likely an allergy with discomfort. Is he breast fed or bottle fed? Some babies can not digest formula properly and cry constantly. Moms misinterpret the cries as hunger cries but it is a belly ache from the inability to digest the milk in formula. I would talk to his pediatrition about getting the weight under control. It is true that the more active they are the more they slim down, but if he is too large to support himself, then there is an issue. I had 2 out of 4 that were 8 pounders at birth and they ended up normal by their first birthday. Good luck, and hang in there! My 16 month old is just learning to walk!

It could be his weight, but it also could be something else. Talk to the doctor or take him to the health department. Also, consider calling SoonerStart (if you live in Oklahoma, other states have similar programs) for an evaluation. You do not have to see a doctor first. SoonerStart will even come to your home, if that is what you prefer. SoonerStart is for children under the age of 3 who are at risk for developmental delays. Right now it seems as though your son may fit in that category. There is no charge to you for this service. They will even teach you how to work with your child.
I used to work in a child care center and now I teach early childhood education and care at a university. We had a child at the child care center who used the services of SoonerStart. I also have friends who used their services.

You're doing a great job - just keep giving him opportunities to try on his tummy and sitting. Maybe prop him up sitting with a boppy around him so if he falls over he won't hurt himself. It may be that his weight is slowing him down but he may just not be ready yet and it's ok. I'd talk to your dr. if he's still having trouble when he turns a year old. I'm a physical therapist and understand your concern but the most important thing is that you give him lots of opportunities and try to make it fun, using his favorite toys for stimulation.

I was just about to post the same concern about my 7 month old daughter she still isn't sitting up either. I can sit her on the bed with the boppy pillow around her and she will sit up for a few minutes but then she falls over. My son was sitting up at 6 months so I have been a little concerned. Anyways, just thought I would let you know your not alone.

Goodluck,

You should have a 9 month well visit with your pediatrician. You should discuss your concerns with him/her. You didn't do anything wrong!

I would definately follow up with the pediatrician and see what he thinks. You're right-bigger babies do take longer with gross motor skills, but by 9 months, he should be sitting up. The fact that he gets upset when you put him on his tummy or in a sitting position might be a sign that it is hurting him?? It sounds like you are doing a great job of encouraging him with his skills, keep that up! My middle child was a big guy who was slower to develop his gross motor skills. We used a big yoga ball and rolled him back and forth on it on his belly and sat him on it and bounced him up and down and back and forth. It was fun for all and seemed to help with balance and strength issues he had.

Have you heard about Parents as Teachers?? If you live in Missouri, it is a state-funded program offered in all the school districts. The parent educators come to your home and do screenings with your child to see if all development is on track, give you ideas of activities to work with them all and give you suggestions if things aren't developing as they should be. It's all free. All you do is call your local school district's early childhood center and ask to sign up.

I wouldn't worry about it. Your little guy is most likely just too chunky to sit or crawl. That happened to my neice and my sister was in a panic and took her to the doctor. The diagnosis was she just had a little more "fluff" and it was just harder for her to do those things. My first son didn't start crawling until he was 10 months and then walked just before he turned one. Trust me, you are not doing anything wrong. First time mommies are always overly concerned. Don't get me wrong, that is not a bad thing. It means you are doing a great job. I still worry more than I should with my oldest. It's because it is all new territory andyou two are learning together as you go. If you have baby number 2 it will seem like a breeze. You are not alone. All those other moms that you see out there that look all cool, calm and collected are going through all the same worried thoughts and feelings that you are. Just remember as soon as your little guy starts to become mobile you will be wondering why you were in such a hurry for him to crawl and walk. Enjoy the time that you have. Once he starts cruising along there will be hardly anytime for anything else because you're gonna be chasing him all over the place. Now just sit back and relax. You are doing a great job. He will get the hang of it! Good luck and Happy New Year!

1 / 3