9 Month Old Grinding Her Teeth

My 9 month-old has her top and bottom two teeth and has for about a month. Lately, she has started grinding them together. Apart from the horrible noise it makes (yikes) it cannot be good for those little choppers. I've tried gently telling her "no" and putting my finger in between when she does it but that doesn't seem to be helping. We're trying to wean her away from her paci (only for naps and nightime) so I hate giving it to her but it does stop her from grinding. We've tried every teether known to man from frozen washcloths to expensive store-bought or special order teethers and she's just never liked them. Any help moms?

Thanks everyone - it sounds like this is just one of those "phases" I hadn't heard about since so many of you experienced it too. I'll just try subtle distractions when she starts up and hope she outgrows it soon! (just makes me cringe - argh). She has her 9mo check-up Friday so I'll do a quick check with her Ped to make sure all is a-ok. Thanks again!

Hi K.!
I know that this is an awful stage they go through!! I have 4 children and they all did it. Just remember that they have never had teeth before and it's all new to them and she is getting used to having all this new "stuff" in her mouth and, "hey, these make great sounds"! I remember that it only lasts a couple of weeks, 3 at the most. Maybe instead of teethers for her, how about earplugs for you??:) Just kidding!! I know it is hard. Just reading about it I can hear it and remember how it sounds! This too shall pass!! Honest! Take care, N. V.

We went through the same thing with my son when he first started getting teeth. The pediatrician said that although it might be annoying, it's nothing to be concerned about at this point. He actually outgrew it in a couple of months. Good luck!

My daughter did this too just a little later than 9 months but she was also a little late to get her teeth. I know you want to take away the pacifier, we were doing the same thing when she started doing that too, but I had to give it to her just for a little while when she would grind her teeth. I couldnt stand the noise of it, she eventually stopped and now the pacifier only comes out during napping and night time. I'm sure it isnt harmful it's just them trying out these new things they have in their mouths. Good luck, hopefully it will pass soon!!

I would guess it's a phase and will pass. Continue offering her something else to chew on. Maybe even those teeting crackers you find in the baby aisle. Some people love those - I always found them messy, but I would take the mess over grinding! :) It's not going to hurt her teeth at this age. She's just figuring things out.

Its totally normal! My boys both did that when they got thier top and bottom teeth in, they'd grind them together. ITs a new thing for them, having those teeth, so they are trying out something new. Soon it will to the point where its not such an ew thing anymore, and she'll move onto somethign else, like pulling up or walking. :) It wont harm her teeth so don't worry too much about it. I know the sound though... used to totally skeeve me out but it only lasted for a short time before they got over it and stopped.

my boys both did this and it drove me nuts! I tried the same thing as you (no and putting my finger in there). I eventually gave it up and they eventually grew out of doing it. It was a stage they went thru and they didn't ruin their teeth.

My daughter did the same thing. My dad is a dentist and reassured me that it is ok. He said that some kids grind while teething and that it does not do damage to the teeth. She did stop after getting used to her new found front teeth, so there is relief in sight from that noise:)

my daughter who is now 15 months old did the same thing. I talked to my dentist about it and they told me that it is a phase that some kids go through. It is a way of making their teeth feel better when they are teething. He said that she will stop doing it on her own. My other two kids did not grind their teeth so it was new to me. I guess the dentist was right because she does not do it any more.

Hi K.!

1 / 3