9 Month Old Food Ideas

Hello all! My almost 9 month old daughter recently started to dislike a lot of her Gerber baby foods in the last few days. She takes small amounts of table food that I am eating and seems to do very well, and really loves anything she can pick up and put in her mouth herself. I was hoping to get some ideas from you all on good foods to start her off on to ensure she continues to have a well balanced and nutritious diet. RIght now she usually gets oatmeal/fruit for breakfast, fruit/gerber puffs or wagon wheels for lunch, and veggie/meat/breads or crackers for dinner. She is breastfeeding about 3-4 times daily and drinks water very well in an open cup. I would also appreciate any books or websites you have found helpful for this information. Thanks!

Thank you SO much to all that took the time to give suggestions, websites, books, etc. I hope you all know how much it is appreciated! You all gave me the push I needed to feel comfortable giving her more table food and really great ideas to ensure continued nutrition. I really have loved the wholesomebabyfood.com website and have recommended it to many of my friends. It is so great to know that this kind of support is so easy to access!

Oven fried potatoes and sweet potatoes (toss chunks lightly with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes @ 400 degrees)

Kidney, butter, pinto or navy beans right out of the can - rinse and serve.

Toast with sesame butter (tahini)

Noodles - plain or toss them with something you like to see if she likes it. Most kids like butter and salt.

Frozen peas thawed or steamed fresh peas.

Frozen blueberries (keep them frozen - it makes their gums feel better) or fresh

Watermelon, cantaloupe, pears, apples, bananas, plums - skin removed

Cheese chunks if she will tolerate dairy (this is one way to find out)

Scrambled eggs

Babies love fresh, colorful foods. Little things they can pick up that pack a lovely flavor or color will always do the trick. Stay away from cereals - they are unnecessarily fortified and are just filler. What's also important is to stay away from serving the same foods every day so that she decides all she wants is one thing or another.

"Super Baby Foods" is a GREAT book for a food resource. It's got ideas for foods at what age, how to make your own food, etc...take it with a grain of salt though as the author is "all natural" and uses a lot of whole/natural foods. I used it as a basic guide as to what to feed when and thought it was FABULOUS for making my own food. My daughter never did like the jarred baby food. She only liked home-made baby food and started eating table food as soon as she could put it in her mouth!

Toast with sesame butter (tahini)

Scrambled eggs

I found an amazing book, 123 Cook for Me, by Karin Knight. It has tons of nutrition info and recipes for 6 months to 2 years.

My daughter would only eat foods she could pick up when she was about 9 mos. Her favorite is/was peeled apple cooked in a little water and cinnamon just until it becomes soft. Then cut up into smaller pieces. It is soft and yummy! Also, cooked sweet potato cut into pieces. She loves pancakes for any meal. You can add some baby oatmeal to the mix to add more vitamins. Peas are great. I think you could definitely add more nutrition to the lunch. Try soft cheese like brie (Wee Brie brand in the store). Macaroni plain or with a little tomato sauce is very popular with my daughter. Good luck!
Good recipes:
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

See the Super Baby Food Book. All foods by age appropriateness with instructions on how to prepare.

9 months is a typical time to not want baby food any longer. She can probably start eating about any table food that is soft or can be cut up-staying away from high allergy foods like eggs, peanut butter, chocolate, citrus fruits, etc. Grapes can be cut up and the skin can be removed from all beef hot dogs and sausages. She may be ready for more of everything!

My 8-month-old likes to feed himself as well. An example of his lunch would be: diced steamed carrots (I dice then steam them myself, served room-temp or just warm), diced banana, shredded cheese. An example of dinner would be: a few tablespoons of mixed cereal combined with his Poly-Vi-Sol vitamin, gerber's freeze dried diced apples, steamed green beans (I steam either fresh or frozen beans myself, served room temp or warm) and plain or lightly seasoned chicken breast, cut small enough. Other ideas are: buy canned no-sugar-added pears or peaches. Dice them up and let her feed herself (this is a great way to save money- they're just as nutritious as gerber's). Yogurt. Frozen waffles! I give him them still frozen because he'll gum them (provides relief to sore gums) and as he does, they turn mushy, preventing choking. Graham crackers or nilla wafers are also a fun snack. My guy likes cooked macaroni (generally I cut them in half or thirds once cooked) mixed with some tomato sauce and ground burger as well. Hope these ideas are useful. Best of luck.

1 / 3