9-Year-old Daughter Wets Pants When Laughs

My 9-year-old daughter has accidents when she laughs hard. She has normal bladder control otherwise, doesn't wet the bed or have trouble going for long periods of time without using the bathroom. My husband and I try to get her to go to the bathroom often when she is in a situation where an accident is likely to occur (playing with friends, at a party), but this doesn't always solve the problem, and she is reluctant to listen to us in the midst of having fun. Sometimes even when she has recently used the bathroom, she wets her pants. I'm afraid that she is going to get terribly embarrassed one of these days (aside from the mess). The "accidents" usually happen a few times a week, sometimes multiple times at the same occassion. The doctor just shrugs his shoulders and suggests Kegel exercises and more frequent bathroom trips. Wondering if anyone else has this problem and if anyone has any good advice!

My 9-year old does the same thing. Normal bladder control, etc. Sometimes she forgets to go to the bathroom and if she laughs hard she'll wet her pants.

One day she was at gymnastics and she was laughing and she wet herself. Because she was in a leotard and sitting on the mat, everyone saw. We had to get a custodian to clean up the mat and since I was working she had to wait on the sidelines in a wet leotard. She was very embarrassed.

Since then she ALWAYS goes to the bathroom before gymnastics (without me having to remind her) and she's more careful about remembering to go. I felt so bad for her that she was embarrassed at gymnastics class, but sometimes it takes those hard lessons for a change to happen!

She'll live through the embarrassment. Sometimes life has to do the teaching when they won't listen to Mom and Dad!

Sonds like me when I cough or sneeze! Or don't get to the bathroom on time. Or get out of the shower. Or hear water run. You get the picture!

It doesn't sound to me like the doctor you are talking to is a pediatric urologist. I would try to find a woman ped urologist and get a second opinion.

Perhaps now is the time to introduce her to mini pads. That can help with the embarrassment.

Don't just let it go. It can damage her self-image, truly.

I think that happens with most of us if we laugh hard enough and have a full-enough bladder. Her bladder is still maturing. It's normal.

My sister used to do this all the time from the time she was probably around 9 or 10 until she was in her mid teens. She is currently 19 and has no problem any more but it would be like every time she laughed really hard she couldn't control it and would pee. I don't think it is anything that you should worry about because it will hopefully go away.

Yup, I have a dd that is 11 yrs old. She has the same problem. I have no advice for you as we just deal with it. It gets less and less as she gets older. Also, she is starting to know when to go and when to stop in the situations and go to the bathroom. She is definitly NOT alone tho!!

The best thing you can do for her at this time is to find a UroGynecologist. I had similar problems myself, and was referred to a urologist by my family doctor. While I am sure that he was proficient in his field, when I went to his office, I only saw male patients in the waiting room. During my exams, I kind of felt like he didn't quite "get" the female side of things, he was strictly urology. By chance, I found out that my Gynecologist also specializes in UroGynecology. He explained things a lot better, especially about how the two systems affected each other even though they had two different functions.
Anyway, back to the things your daughter is experiencing. At her age, things are starting on their way to maturing. Whether there are outward, obvious signs or not, the "female" changes internally can definitely affect the plumbing. While it seems lke such a young age, apparently girls are maturing sooner than they did in days past. My daughter at age 9 had fully developed including having regular, full monthly periods. She also had problems similar to your daughter's. If we had known then about the combination of the gynecologist-urologist, things might have been a lot easier for her. Check the yellow pages, and look for a doctor or practice that specializes in both fields. BTW, our insurance covered our doctor as a preferred provider.

I feel your pain. My daughter is 8 and I have the same exact problem. I am ready to really lose my mind with it. She will just go to the bathroom, and will be playing hard and if her brother makes her laugh, she loses it. I don't know what to do. Other than when we see she is in a situation that it is likely, I tell her to stop and go the bathroom. It still doesnt help.
SO FRUSTRATED!!

If your doctor isn't worried about this, and you trust him, I would just get some pads for her. I have the same problem (since I've had children) and when I go to a party or out with my girlfriends, and know I'll be laughing a lot, I just use a thin maxi pad (I like the Always brand) and don't have to worry.

Hopefully she will outgrow this, as her body matures.

1 / 3