9-Month Old Wakes up Too Early/down to 2 Naps/day?

Hello again, mamas!
I have a 4-year old (as of next week) daughter and 9-month old twin girls. The bigger twin (bigger by 4-5 lbs.) sleeps like a rock on a perfect 2-hours up, 2-hours down schedule. The smaller twin sleeps pretty well, so I should consider myself blessed that she sleeps through the night and goes down for naps easily. But, lately, she's been waking up at 6:15 a.m. and will not go back to sleep. I know her well enough to know that she shouldn't be getting up before 7 - 7:30 a.m. in order to be in good spirits and acting as if she got a good night sleep. The bad part of it is that we're feeding her when she wakes up because she's so small (13 lbs at 9 months), so I know that we're reinforcing her wake-up time, but I also don't want her up there screaming and waking up my other two children at 6:00 a.m. Does anyone know how to break a habit like this? I'm not against CIO if it needs to be done, I just don't know what else to do. She did this once before about 2 months ago and then broke the habit and started waking up at 7:30 a.m. again.

My 2nd question is: Since they wake up so early in the a.m., it sets the schedule for the rest of the day. They're waking up from their last nap by 3:00 p.m. and don't go to bed until 7:00 or 7:30. They can't make it for 4 hours, but they won't always go down for a cat nap in the evenings (around 5 ish). All I want to do is get them to wake up closer to 7 or 8 a.m., THAT would allow for them to be up from their last nap by 4 or so, and then bedtime is not so hard to reach. Anyone else who might have some insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all of the input, ladies. It's so hard to "cover all your bases" when making original requests. We are waking the small twin (the one who is waking up at 6 a.m.) to feed her one last time between 10:30-11:00 p.m. in order to hold her over until the a.m. (and to help her put some wieght on). So she is only going 7 hours without eating. I received a lot of great suggestions, and I DID get a copy of the book that was so highly recommended. I look forward to reading it. We are thinking of dropping the catnap in the evening and seeing if they can make it through from 3 - 7. They did pretty well tonight... so we'll see what happens tomorrow morning! Thank you for the time you took to respond to my *petty* request. Believe me, I know how blessed I am that my twins have been sleeping through the night for the last several months.

My daughter did something similar around the same age. I knew she needed more sleep so I tried to coax her into sleeping longer by putting a cd clock radio in her room. I programmed it so it would play soothing "wake up" music at 7am and decided I would not go and get her out of bed until the music started to play.

If her crying was bad - I'd go and "shoosh-shoosh" her but would not pick her up until 7am. After about 1 week, she saw that she wasn't getting up until the music went off anyway and learned to go back to sleep until the alarm went off. Eventually, we didn't need the alarm clock anymore - she would sleep past the alarm time and wake up in great spirits!

I have a 22month old boy that did that when he was younger but he would grow out of it then do it agian the doctor said that some kids do it so we just let him grow out of it and he sleeps thou the night now his in bed by 8 and up around 7-8am

I think you little one is waking up to eat. Maybe you should feed her at 8:00 every morning regardless of the time she wakes up. Or maybe give her pedia lite in a sippy cup in her crib if she wakes up at 6:15. IMHO you can train stomache to wake her up at 8:00 and still get as many calories in her as possible.

good luck,

Debra

Happy Sleep Habits Habit Child by Dr Weisbluth saved our lives! We were having a really difficult time with our first born, wouldn't sleep in his crib, in a car, in a swing nowhere but in our arms, woke up repeatedly at night finally started to sleep and woke up way too early, we read this book and it literally saved our sanity.
He was over tired. The more kids sleep the MORE kids sleep. He wound up going to bed for the evening at 5360p sometimes and sleep like an angel until 7am. Even when he woke up from an afternoon nap at 3p! It's remarkable.
Eventually around 9-12 months they consolidate their naps to one which occurs around noon and they might nap a little longer but one of the most important things to remember is to "respect your childs need for sleep" and really take their cues of being sleepy and put them down for a nap. Questions to ask yourself if she is not sleeping as well as the other twin. How much productive sleep (undisturbed) napping is she doing during the day? Nappying in cars or strollers doesn't count, it's kind of like when you doze up sitting on an airplane, it's not restful or productive.
If they are getting enough rest during the day they sleep soundly at night and wake up at a normal hour in the morning consistantly, day after day unless they are sick. We proved the book's theory perfectly. What a blessing this book was for us!

How fun! Reading this makes me so ready for my third one to be here! At least 10 more weeks! Anyway--I don't think 6:15 is all that early--especially if they are going to be at 7 or 7:70 the night before. Try an 8 pm bedtime and see if the little one will sleep in a little longer! Good LUck!

Sounds like you have a houseful! How fun. I'm thinking maybe your little twin is going through a growth spurt? You mentioned that she did this about two months ago and then broke the habit? Did you help her break the habit, or did it happen on its own? She might be waking because she is hungry. After you feed her, are you putting her back down? You might try putting her to bed a little earlier? That might help her to sleep a little longer.

I empathize, but based on their age, my daught-in-law would love to have your kids sleeping times. My grandson is almost 20 months old. He is just now sleeping through the night and usually gets up around 6:30am. His patterns were horrible, actually there were no patterns. The doctor said that it is perfectly normal for some children/babies to have varied sleeping patterns; some are just light sleepers. There are too many factors for sleep problems to name here but while reading the book "What to expect the toddler years" by Eisenberg, Murkoff & Hathaway there are a few tips: starting each day and each night the same; sleepy time mood: room darkening, story or two, tranquil music, sing, put pillows on floor & snuggle & whisper; to releave separation anxiety put something of yours in the crib like a t-shirt and pushing in a stroller before naptime is OK. You can also get the book "What to Expect the Baby Years". My daughter-in-law and no I have learned so much about our little ones. Another good book for the older ones is "Recipies from Parenting". It's an easy one-page answer for your questions guide. Outstanding! You can only get it through the author/educator's website: www.sandymcdaniel.com.
She came to our schools to speak when we lived in CA. I wish I had had her ideas when my kids were growing up.

I am a mother of twin boys who just turned 2 a couple of weeks ago. I would also recommend the book by Dr. Weisbluth - Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I lived and breathed this book throughout my boys first 18 months, and still keep it at my bedside for reference. During the hard times, I read it by lamp in the middle of the night, just to give myself courage to follow through with the difficult decisions you have to make while sleep trianing your children. I had a similar situation when my boys were around 9 mos old. One of them was sleeping soundly from 7p - 7a. The other was waking too early (5-6 am) for an early morning feed. I let it go for a while because the early riser was my less needy one during the day. I felt like this was his only true "mommy and me" time because his brother was more demanding in general. Dr. Weisbluth's book assured me that my 9 month old did not "need" to eat at this time. He wanted his time with me and and we were both just emotionally attached to this early togetherness. I have two older children and we all needed our sleep. I decided to let him cry and it only took a couple of days before his consistent wakeup time became 7 am. Our schedule was this: Wake at 7, nap from 9 - 11 and then again from 1 - 3. I had to provide lots of stimulation and hopefully outdoor play in the afternoons so that they could make it to bedtime, and sometimes they would be so exhausted they had to go down as early as 6 or 6:30 pm. To this day, both of my boys sleep from 7 or 7:30 PM until 7 am the next day. It's wonderful. There are certainly times when we have to deviate from our schedule, and I believe that my boys tolerate these deviations as well as they do because they are generally well rested children. I know full well what a wonderful handful it is to raise twins. I'd love to chat with you to give you any advice I can.

W.

If she's still that tiny, then she really should be eating during the nite, as well. She probably is also going through a growth spurt, so it is not "bad" that you're feeding her - I would not at all recommend letting her CIO - she's waking up because she's hungry, so feeding her is the right thing to do. If you really want her to sleep later, can you not put her to bed a little later and make to feed her a bit extra before she goes to bed? If I'm interpreting your note correctly, you're wanting her to sleep almost 12 hours straight? Again, I think that's too much to expect for such a tiny little girl (my second son was 13 pounds at 1 month!). Also, if the issue is just about you getting more sleep, can you not get your husband to handle those early morning hours and perhaps an hour longer yourself? Also, you could go to bed a bit earlier, so that your sleep is not so impacted.

1 / 3