23 answers

9-Month-old Breaking Out in Hives After Dog Licks Him

We have a super sweet boxer who loves our son and loves giving him kisses even though we try to keep her out of his face. Whenever she does sneak a kiss or even bumps up against his skin with her nose or mouth, our son breaks out in hives on that spot. I'm wondering if I should be concerned (i.e. is he allergic to our dog?!) Our son has had a somewhat constant runny nose for the past several months as well and I don't know if it's related or if it's due to teething, the common cold, etc. Anyone else experienced this or have any input or advice? Thanks in advance!

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

I posted this quite a while ago and my son is now approaching 3 (February). I am super happy to say that he no longer breaks out in hives when our dog licks him. If he was allergic (even just the saliva), he must have outgrown it. Actually, it hasn't happened in the last year or two even. I have a daughter now and she does not break out either; must not have the same sensitivity that he did. Thank you everyone for your input!

Featured Answers

My brother breaks out from dog saliva too...but it's just the saliva his body has a problem with. To this day, he has several dogs. I would just watch it and try to keep the dog from licking him as much as possible. Maybe he'll out grow it, maybe not, but if it doesn't get worse than the bumps/rash, I wouldn't worry too much.

Sounds like he's allergic to the dog saliva if not the dog itself. I'm allergic and this same thing happens to me and boy is it itchy and very uncomfortable! I don't think that he's old enough to take benedryl yet but you might want to look into it.
Good luck

More Answers

maybe a peanut allergy, depending what's in your dog food/treats (many dog treats contain peanut products). I knew a girl who fed a dog a treat, later ate pizza (mom forgot to have her wash her hands) and complained of not feeling well--whatever her symptoms were, mom recognized that as being part of her peanut allergy--they checked the dog treat box and sure enough they contained peanuts. It's a long shot, but you never know!

Hello, I wanted to know what happened with your child? I see this post is rather old, but I just experienced this same situation with my 6 month old baby. I have a boxer, and he also licked my babies face, and she broke out in a bad rash for a few hours. She now has bumps on face where the reaction occured. She doesn't have allergy to dander, or dogs skin, just the saliva. I am just curious if your child outgrew it, & if boxer is still around child, and if child kept experiencing this allergy to the saliva. Thank You!

Hey S.!

It sounds like an allergy to me ... my son, just like many other Moms', has allergies to various things. I would definitely get him in to an allergist to see what the severity is and what to do to make him more comfortable. Hives are rather unpleasant!

I say an allergist, because my son had problems, for a WHILE, that our pediatrician kept blowing off as other things (he didn't have allergies, my 6 month old still had newborn rash/acne ... it wasn't allergies it was colic ... and the list went on and on) It took having 2 instances of, my then 15 month olds, eyes swelling shut and an on-call Doc to finally get a referral to an allergist. We now have a great allergist, a multiple layer allergy defense system and a new pediatrician. All is right with the world.

So, S. follow your gut, you know your little guy better than anybody else.

All the best!
D.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has this reaction. I get this reaction from dogs as well. I had allergy testing done and I am allergic to dogs. Funny thing is that only certain breeds make me break out in hives after they lick me or have their nose touch me. I am a pet lover so I just deal with the hives if I get touched by a dog. I would say if at all possible keep the dog out of your sons room. Maybe you can teach your dog not to lick your son. If your son does not seem bothered by the hives then I would just keep an eye on him and the hives. I know they itch but if you can wash the area it does help a little and does not make them last as long. Good luck to you!!

Sorry, my guess would be allergies. He may develop a tolerance to the dog. When I didn't have cats for a while and went to the shelter and petted them I hived. We had cats before and I developed a tolerance. We have cats again, no problem. We had a pet rat that I handled a lot during the period we didn't have cats, no problem. When we got another rat during the time we did have cats and I didn't handle it much I would hive when I did. So that's what worked for me.
How long have you had the dog? I don't recall how long it took me to no longer be sensitive, but it wasn't real long.
good luck,
S.
homeschool mom and homebusiness own of sensible reliable business

Sound like your son is allergic to your dog. If he gets hives/a rash I would see an allergist or just start with your pediatrician. The other thing you might want to try is to go out of your house for a while ie. a weekend, and see if his runny nose clears up. Of course you would have to leave the dog home and not go somewhere that there is another pet of any kind. The reason you would have to leave as opposed to the pet, is that there will still be the dander (the allergen) in the house, even if the dog is not present. Hope everything goes well.

In response to Cindy L's advice, Maltese are actually considered a hypo-allergenic dog. They do not shed and their hair is more like people hair. It comes out in strands only when combed and many people who are allergic to dogs are able to have Maltese.
While it doesn't sound like you need to think about trading in your dog for a different one, Maltese might be something to consider if you ever want to get another dog. :)

If it makes you feel better, I am allergic to cats but have had them all my life. I just can't groom them or have them sleep on my pillows and stuff like that.

It could be entirely possible that your son is allergic to your dog. My best advice would be to talk to your child's doctor and try to limit the contact your son has with the dog. If the hives or reaction decreases with the less time spent around the dog then it could be allergy.

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.