8Mo. Old Will Take a Bottle, but No Dice on Formula

I have an 8 month old daughter that has been breastfed. She's taken bottles from anyone who will give them to her since she was only a couple of months old. I went back to work in April and had my summer vacation and it's almost ending. She's now eating baby food and we're waiting on two more teeth for heavier food. She'll drink juices mixed with water, but when I give her forumula, she spits it back out. I have some milk stored for when she starts daycare, but I'm worried that I won't be able to keep up with her. She just spent a couple of days with my mom and even got to the point of shutting her eyes and mouth as soon as she tried to feed her the formula, no matter how diluted it was. Will food and juice be fine until I start regular milk in a few months? I will still be able to nurse in the morning and night. My supply has slowed considerably when I went back to work so unless I wait 5-6 hours between pumpings, I don't get much.

Thanks for all of the support here. I have a lot to think about and many different options. I'm going to try to keep pumping and see how things go. You've all been very generous with your responses.

Have you tried mixing breast milk in the formula? I started with 3/4's breast, 1/4 formula, then after a couple of days, half and half, then 1/4 breast, then at the end full formula. It worked like a charm for my boys. You can use the same method when you are ready to move to cows milk.

Good Luck and Blessed Be.

I returned to work full time when my daughter was 5mo old. By the time she was ~6mo, she started refusing to take a bottle, no matter what was in it. I was breastfeeding her in the morning before work, upon arrival home (as much as she wanted!), and at bedtime. Normally I was lucky enough to be able to spend my lunch hour with her due to the proximity to my work location, so I would nurse her again then. When she quit taking a bottle, I had them feed her cereal with breastmilk (whatever I had been able to pump the day before). After a couple months though, as we continued to introduce other foods to her diet and she was eating the bm-cereal less, I started 'saving' all my milk for when she nursed. I think that by 8 mo she was back to just getting milk when she nursed (4x per day). Your real challenge is that lunch feed, but I found that was easier to fit into my day when I was not taking other breaks to pump. By 10 months, she started refusing me at lunch, prefering to show off for me or her friends! Those were some desperate times for me, but not her!
I have always tried to 'listen' to my daughter and my body, and that is what I would recommend to you. If she is refusing formula with such determination, set yourself at providing her with what she prefers (breastmilk - smart kid!) with the same determination. You will be glad that you did, because it really is the best food for her! There are lots of recommendations on increasing supply on this site, as well as recommendations on lactation consultants. Good luck!

Keep pumping. The more you pump the more you'll get. Sometimes it takes a little while for supply to pick up, but if you are diligent about pumping it will happen. Personally I don't think juice and food is sufficient until she's old enough for milk. You should probably try to build up your milk supply by pumping, or try another type of formula. My youngest was the same way. He absolutely refused formula. So I pumped like crazy while I was at work, believe me I know it's a pain. A lactation specialist advised me to pump right after I breastfeed in order to boost my milk supply. She said at first you won't get much, but if you keep trying, you'll start getting more. Good luck!

Don't wait so long between pumpings! The more you pump, the more milk you'll have. At that age, they definitely still need the nutrients from breastmilk, so skimping seems like a bad idea. I pumped for a year with my son, who is now 14 months. My supply also dropped as he started eating more solids, and I ended up sending a little less per feeding to the daycare (so he would get 4 oz per feeding rather than 6 oz, which is what he had before he started solids), and he got water if he was still thirsty. I know it's often hard to find the time during a busy weekday to pump, but even if you can find 10 minutes a couple of extra times a day, you'll see benefits in your milk supply. Good luck, and congrats on nursing for so long!

She will not take the formula bc it tastes horrible!! Have you ever tasted it? I would pump as much as i could even if you do not get a lot you will stimulate your milk supply.

Originally I mixed breastmilk with formula for her. She took that fine. When I dried up it was a different story. I know this sounds bad, but what I had to do with my daughter is to add a little bit of sugar to the formula bottle. Formula isn't sweet like breastmilk, so babies tend to not like it. I found that adding a little sugar (1/2 tsp for 8 ounce bottle) gives it a sweet enough taste for her to take it without any problems. Might wanna try it?

If you are interested in increasing your supply, check out www.kellymom.com
Ideally you would be pumping as much while you are away from your little one, as often as you would be nursing her if you were together. If you try powerpumping to get things up again (adding two or three more pumping sessions a day, also pumping for 5 to 10 minutes after your daughter has finished nursing), it generally takes 48 hours before your breasts will respond and kick in with the milk on their own.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#increase
Found on www.lalecheleague.org that more short pumping sessions are more beneficial that fewer longer ones.
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html
Remember to be patient with the pump, it's just not the same as your daughter. And trust in your body, with a little work and time it can help provide the milk she will need while you are apart=)

don't know if someone suggested this, but you can pump on one side while she nurses on the other side. You get a good let down this way, usually some great milk (that my otherwise go wasted), AND, its not extra time. It does take some coordination, but i find it easiest with my 'lesser' hand held single pump than with my 'nicer' double electric pump. The handheld was cheap, and has come in handy for a few other things as well.

I've also had luck with goats milk.

Some babies wean early. There must be dietary guidelines for those babies, so, it seems like she could also do okay with less milk - maybe ask your pediatrician.

Good Luck and Blessed Be.

1 / 3