8 Yr Old Son Has Stinky, White Feet. Has Anyone Seen This?

I noticed a couple of weeks ago when my son took his socks off that the bottom of his feet were white. White like paper is white. I washed his shoes, then changed the shoes all together. Didn't help. The white color goes away after he's had his socks off for 2 or 3 hours, then the feet are redder than usual. It is only white where the ball of his foot is and on the bottom of his toes. Not between the toes and no sign of disturbed skin or pruning. The doctor said it is from his feet being so sweaty. The odor is beyond belief. His socks stink even after I wash them. This came on very suddenly and just after his 8th birthday. Anyone ever heard of this?

Thank you all so much for your responses. We took our son to the podiatrist. As was mentioned in a couple of the responses, he has pitted keratolysis. It is caused by a bacteria that in the right conditions can run amuck in the feet. My son recently started to sweat a lot in his feet, no where else yet, thank God.

Anyway, there is a foot powder that works to control sweat and kill the bacteria in his shoes. The doctor also said to spray his feet with anti-persperant, not just deodorant.
Other things that were mentioned here that helped was soaking his feet in tea bags for 10 minutes. Its a lot of work but does control the sweat better. Also, taking shoes and socks off as soon as he gets home and washing his feet help.

Thanks again.

That sounds like athlete's foot.
I would take him to the Dr. and get some advice and foot creme/spray.

My son has foot odor problems, too.
First, I threw out all his socks and bought a whole new set of sweat absorbing kind that help to eliminate odor. (I found mine at Walmart.)
Then, we washed his shoes and threw out ones we couldn't wash.
Basically, we started NEW with shoes and socks.
Lastly, after every bath EVERY night we dry his feet, put athlete's feet cream, apply foot powder and put socks on for bedtime.
Don't forget foot powder in his shoes when he takes them off every night.
It's a huge job, but it beats athlete's feet and smelling up the whole house nightly!

A great remedy for stinky or fungus-y feet is tea tree oil. It is safe (you can even use it internally) You can buy a prepared lotion, or just use the essential oil (a few drops) in your favorite body lotion, or get a foot soak with that ingredient. Massage his feet with the lotion, and show him how to massage his own feet. It's a great way to teach him to take care of his feet & feels great too.
Use more ventilated shoes (no "pleather"!), and definitely use natural fiber socks, not synthetic (acrylic or nylon).
I agree to check his diet to see if he's getting enough water, & maybe eating too much sugar or foods that acidify his body's pH...check www.healthyhealing.com to learn about alkalizing foods & body/foot odor. Hope this helps!

Hi V., My daughter had the same issue. We heard that soaking feet in tea at night(yes tea :) reduces sweating...something about the tanic acid? We tried it & it works, but it is time consuming. Try the Target brand of fungal foot spray ... green white and orange label. We use the powder after bath & give all the shoe "landing spots" a good dose regularly. We also add the foot insert pads to absorb the sweat/smell...so we can dispose. Otherwise buy shoes with more ventilation if possible.

I've not really heard of this, but you can try sprinkling powder in his shoes and socks and have him change his socks at least once during the day. That should at least keep his feet more comfortable.

That sounds like athlete's foot.

Sounds like he might have a yeast infection - yes, it IS possible to get a yeast infection on the feet! It can also just as easily be a foot fungus (athletes foot) - what is important is the type of shoes you put on his feet (my younger sister always had very sweaty feet as a kid, stinky too, and because of this she had chronic eczema) and the sort of socks he wears.
Since the weather is warming up, get him some sandals (they make athletic sandals that have all the good support of regular running shoes) and keep his socks off - when he does wear socks, use thinner cotton socks (girls socks) so that his feet wont sweat as much inside of them. His regular closed shoes should be canvas which allows the feet to breathe much better. I would ask the pediatrician if you can treat his feet as if he had a case of athletes foot - even if he DOESN"T have athelete's foot, the treatment used will still dry out and soothe whatever else might be causing his issues - also, athelets foot or not, go to the drug store and get some medicated foot powder and put it in his socks and shoes EVERY MORNING before he leaves for school.

One more thing, make sure he does not wear his shoes with no socks. If he starts this there is no way to get the sweaty smell out.

It honestly is just sweaty feet, especially if it goes away within a few hours. Sounds to me like you need a shoe and socks that breathe better. My feet get like that if I wear the wrong shoes or socks.

Nothing too big, don't worry.

My son has foot odor problems, too.

1 / 3