8 Year Old with Very Oily Hair

Hi! My daughter is 8, well, she will be 9 in November. I was wondering if maybe hormones are playing on this, she has breast buds already, and her hair is so oily!!! She has a very tiny kind of dandruff too, but I think she's too young to have this?? we wash it, and next day is bad, she doesn't take much care of it, I have to tell her to brush it, at the same time, when I say I will take her and have it cut short, she doesn't want it. It's not too long, shoulder length. Does anybody know of a good shampoo, or natural treatment for this??? She is getting very hairy legs too, my poor thing, she doesn't want to wear shorts because of this. Why is puberty hitting so soon now???? helpppp!

My daughter was/is going through this. Whenever her hair gets oily with little salty looking dandruff, her skin gets very oily and she gets red pimples. A derm, an endocrinologist, and a pediatrician all said it was puberty. SHe has had blood work and it came back normal. SHe got breast buds at 9.5 and pubic hair earlier than that. She has been shaving up to the knee since spring. Maybe you can take her to the beauty salon and have the shampoo girl teach her how to wash her hair properly--sometimes kids pay more attention when someone other than mom tries to explain it to them lol! A lot of moms say that kids that age don't brush their hair or try to keep it styled nicely---wait until junior high--it's all about fashion.

First of all Mom, change the tune.... she's not your 'poor thing', this is life, normal, wonderful life. Don't be making comments that cast doubts about her body image.

Breast buds at almost 9 is normal. Oily hair can be genetic... get a shampoo for oily hair and use it every day or a clarifying shampoo that helps helps with the hair and the dandruff. Don't be cutting her hair short, just remind her that she needs to shampoo her hair every day. Hairy legs? who told her so? Again, enough with the comments, it's probably very fine hair. This is normal and if you're looking at fashion magazines and making comparisons she wouldn't know any difference.

Puberty does begin around 8-9 yrs of age. I remember being in the 4th grade and having those separate movies for boys and girls. As we have 'evolved', girls are getting their periods early, some believe this is in response to the meats we eat, lots of hormone supplemented feed being fed to cattle, pigs and chickens. Finding a cause doesn't change what's happening to your daughter's body now. Celebrate her. Don't draw attention to the changes, but accept them as a normal, day to day occurance. Life is tumultuous enough for a pre-pubescent girl (or boy) and the last thing they need is someone else drawing attention to all of that.

Make sure when she is washing it she is actually cleaning the scalp good with her fingertips/fingernails and be sure she is rinsing all the shampoo and conditioner completely out of it. Only apply conditioner to the ends. When my son was much younger and would shower himself there were a few times his hair would look oily and I would think, he just washed it yesterday. Come to find out he was using too much shampoo and wasn't rinsing it all out, it make it look oily.

Yes the growth hormones put in our food supply - our milk is tainted, meats, etc. The route to go is buy organic grass fed beef, organic free range chicken and turkey, wild caught fish (never farm raised), and for eggs buy free range organic eggs, and for milk Raw Milk is the best (organic would follow second). You can read more on raw milk here:

http://realmilk.com/

http://search.mercola.com/Results.aspx?k=raw%20milk

These things are the reasons you see kids walking around at 10 yrs. old in puberty - the whole population is getting taller and bigger, and people in general (especially kids) are having an epidemic for obesity. It's all tied to our foods.

I have to agree with everyone else. They have been saying for decades the hormones in our foods are affecting our children and making them mature earlier and earlier. It's time to switch to grass-fed, organic, free-range meats. And hormone free milk. Eat a lot of fast food? Think twice as you are eating the worst meats and fats possible. Even soy can affect hormones, so watch out for over-consumption of products with soy.

In regards to her hair, it could be tied to genetics or puberty. I would make sure she is washing her hair and her scalp to ensure it is all clean and there isn't a build-up of oil on the scalp making hair greasy right after a shower. A shampoo formulated for oily skin would help. If you can't get her to wash her hair daily, perhaps try a dry shampoo that can be brushed through the hair to soak up oil and keep things in check between washings. It's probably a phase and she'll outgrow it.

Puberty is hitting kids earlier and earlier all the time. One school of thought is that it is caused by all the hormones in our foods, like chicken.

I would suggest Melaleuca's Herbal shampoo.

Check how she is wash her hair. Some kids when they wash their own hair take it literary and wash their hair not their head. Now she is getting older and it is hot it might make the big difference. Make sure if she is using condictioner she is only putting it on small amounts, not on top of her head. Have her scrub, use her finger nails on her head too. Use oily shampoo. You could also put a brush in the shower and have her brush it while she is in their with the condictioner will save time when she gets out.

hormones can definitely play their part in oily hair. I would suggest you try Paul Mitchell's tea tree oil shampoo/conditioner for her hair. Also, maybe do an apple cider vinegar rinse every other week for her scalp. You can get her nair for her legs so she doesn't have to shave.

as a nation we're over nourished and we have hormones in so much of our food that our bodies are able to mature more quickly.

Updated

1 / 3