8 Year Old with Constant Stomache Pain

My 8 year old has been complaining of a constant pain in her tummy for about two months now. She says that it is painful but it doesnt stop her from her daily play. The first time she complained I took her to the doctors with her sister who was also not feeling well and the doctor said it was probably just the flu. Two weeks later we went back to the doctors cuz it hadnt stopped. This time he ran blood work, a uranalises, and an xray. Everything came back normal. When we went for the revisist a week later, she had lost 1 1/2 pounds. The pain is constantly there (morning noon and night), and it doesnt matter what she eats (there doesn't seem to be a reaction when she eats are what she eats). (She also has regular bowel movements- so that is not the issue) Now she has said that she has felt dizzy and her legs hurt(not all the time, just sometimes). Our doctor is sending us to a specialist (but that appointment isnt until a month away). Has anyone had this situation before???????

We haven't gone to the specialists yet......she has been doing fine since she came home from her dad's house on Sunday (divorced 5 years)....... she has been excited to find that our cat just had kittens.......may it is that she is stressed about something. Im gonna talk to the school conselor tomorrow to see if she can talk to her. My daughter is a pretty laid back kid and really doesnt let too much bother her.......her twin sister on the other had worries about everything (right down to the baby bird in a nest) and will tell you all about it. Maybe my sick girl just doesnt know how things are affecting her???????????

Have you had a test for celiac disease yet? It sounds like a possibility. Or could there be emotional factors/ stress invloved??

--Chris

been there, done that.

did you try chamomille tea? or fennel seed tea? there are lots of herbal suppliments you can use. go to a health food store and ask the person in charge of the herbs what they suggest.

hope this helps.

E.

I wish I had something to tell you. Im going through the same thing with my five year old granddaughter. Sometimes with her I think its a way of getting out of doing chores lol. Other times I think the stomach pains are real tho. What do you do for the stomach pains? I really dont know what to do for those. Kelly D

Both my girls ages 11 soon to be 12 and 10 years of age both complained of cramps in their stomache and I too was very concerened, because it was all the time. I at first thought it might be constipation, and would use some meds for that. That didn't help. SO than I took my girls to see their doctor. He did the tests and felt their stomache and found NOTHING. The girls always complained of pains else where as well, but never heard them complain they were dizzy unless it was from lack of sleep or lack of water. So I started making them drink mostly just water and 1 glass of juice. I haven't heard them complain lately. And by the way the doctor told me that it was just GROWING PAINS. Girls get them every where. So hopefully nothing serious or at all is wrong with your daughter. I hope its just growing pains. GOOD LUCK!

Just out of curiosity, has you doctor tested her for tape worms?? You said she has not lost her appetite but she is losing weight and her stomach hurts; as long as there is nothing else that is wrong it sounds like when my sister had tape worms. They are nasty little buggers, but her doctor told her to put something sweet on a plate next to her bed evey night for a week. She did and four days later she woke up and what looked like a small, opaque, pile of broken stretchy gumbands on her pillow. She said it did not look discusting, but the thought of that being in her stomach was. She was 19 when this happened and dealt with it for months thinking it was just really bad cramps. I figure it's worth leting you know about it just in case it works. I would not cancel the apointment with the specialist though, just in case :)

I just took my 7 yo daughter to the doc yesterday with the same complaints. They couldn't find anything either. I've been watching for appendix rupture, but nothing so far. I would say at this point for you that would not be probable b/c that is typically more rapid onset than several months. How frustrating it is for you both!! Do you think that she could be making it up for attention? I thought that about mine, b/c sometimes she acts normal (running around, etc), but she does seem to be distressed when her belly hurts. So sorry that I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to let you know that someone else it there with you. Best wishes at the specialist. A.

When my daughter was in the 3rd-4th grade she had constant stomaches. It was to the point she wouldn't go to school. I also took her to the doctors and they couldn't find anything wrong with her. Everyday she insisted they got worse... I had a meeting with her teacher and found out that it was school she didn't like and was having trouble with a certain boy .This was never an issue because she always had above average grades...She was also in a private Catholic school. We fixed everything up and we eventually moved out of that district anyhow. My sister also said her son had the same exact thing. So maybe it is something at school.She is now almost 21 and in college and doing excellent. Hope everything turns out ok.

I wonder if there is any history of Inflamatory Bowel disease in your family? My son started experiencing chronic stomach pain, diarhea, and weight lose at the age of 8. One morning he woke up in so much pain we had to take him right into the doctor and discovered he had an abcess near his rectom. That is a drainage point for infection, and why would an 8 yr old boy have that? My husband has Crohns Disease so immediatly the pediatrician sent us to a specialist and we began our journey to find out what was going on with our son. It didn't take long for the diagnosis to come back that my son also had Crohns disease. His treatment began at the Akron childrens hospital, and then we moved onto the Cleveland Clinic. A move I am sooo glad we made. I encourage to to research your doctors background, find out the type of patients they see and whatever your daughters diagnosis, go somewhere where that is treated in high volume. Whatever drugs she is prescribed, find out how many oatients they have used this dru on. Don't assume that because an office is prescribing a drug that they know how to use it. Good luck! My son is being treated now at the Cleveland Clinic and I can't tell you the difference in the level of knowledge. I would be happy to talk to you again if you need help or have a question.

http://www.matthewwoodherbs.com/Apointments.html

check out his site he is a registered herbalist and i've read two of his books. He can sell you the herbs he suggests.
Like a western m.d., he may not always get the exact cure right away but i personally trust the plants to pharmaceuticals because my family growing up went to the doctor a lot for all kinds of things and i have seen pharmaceuticals i used to take taken off the market because of bad side effects and i haven't seen one family member cured of anything yet from pharmaceuticals- just more meds. added.. DGL(deglyzerized licoice) will rebuilt the tissues of the stomach and throat when there has been ulcer. i have read of cayenne capsules curing ulcer. Not that i assume your daughter has ulcer. There are herbs for everything. from setting a mash of broken bones to cancer-but i could get arrested for saying herbs can cure cancer so that is just what i believe. when i was a girl i was told that the bible says that God put a plant on the earth to cure everything that ails man. i do not know if that is true because i was raised in a jewish home but it struck as true that God did put something for this and something for that on the earth and i did not take that to mean he helped us to invent pharmaceuticals but that he put plants. Native Indians, East Indians, Tibetans and Chinese have maintained their science of herbs for thousands of years.
...here is a for instance: if she has taken many antibiotics in the last several years, the natural intestinal flora may be depleted, making it difficult to digest the food- you can buy chewable probiotics to replenish it.
If she has taken pharmaceticals recently i might suspect they are causing the dizzyness and leg pain. Also- that could be related to not absorbing the nutrients in her food since she has lost some weight. We need minerals to absorb vitamins- they do make liquid vitamin/mineral supplements but i usually go for a more natural something like a smoothie with bladderwrack or kelp for the minerals- unless she will swallow a pill, then i give my kids pills of kelp and bladderwrack.-all those sea minerals.
here is something a friend just sent me on cabbage just to give you a glimpse of what plants can do but i do suggest consulting the herbalist at the link above by email or phone.
here's the cabbage:
ARTICLE: Cabbage - Part I
by Dr. John R. Christopher

A Dr. Blanc in 1881 wrote the following: "About 1880, a cart driver in a
small French village fell off his wagon and - a frequent accident in
those times - one wheel rolled over his leg. Two physicians agreed
that amputation was necessary; a surgeon was called into consultation,
he concurred, and the operation was booked for the next morning. But
at 5 p.m. that day the parish priest, Loviat of Saint-Claude, advised
the patient's mother to cover the injured leg with cabbage leaves.
Under the influence of this simple dressing, the man slept all night.
When he awoke, the family and one of the physicians who arrived to
prepare the patient for surgery saw that he could move his leg. The
cabbage leaves were removed to reveal a leg without swelling and with
improved color. Eight days later, completely well, the man returned
to work."

The common cabbage has been of vital importance to mankind over the
4,000 years of its cultivation. The medical use of cabbage, empirical
for centuries, is based upon precise scientific considerations.
Hippocrates once remarked that physicians shouldn't hesitate to borrow
from folklore that which can be useful in medicine. We now know, with
sound proof, that the folklore of cabbage has stood the test of time and
scientific experimentation.

Two other accounts of the medicinal use of cabbage might be of interest:
A watchmaker suffered for a year with a painful eczema of both hands,
preventing him from working. The lesions were acutely inflamed, and
the fingernails were separating, about to fall off. Applications of
cabbage leaves twice daily for a few days brought relief from pain, as
clear fluid drained onto the dressing. With continued treatment
healing took place within two months.

In 1875 a 75 year old man suffered arteriosclerotic gangrene of the
lower right leg and foot. The skin was black and the front of the
lower leg was decayed. Following the local application of cabbage
leaf dressings, the skin changed from black to brown to red, and then
returned to its normal healthy color. Three weeks later, writes
doctor Blanc, there was a considerable improvement.

It has not yet been discovered why the cabbage leaf has such remarkable
healing properties. We only know that the cabbage leaf has a
particular affinity for disease-causing fluids, forcing them from the
tissues. It even seems that treating small areas of extensive disease
benefits the whole, as distant toxins are removed, the cabbage promotes
healing and scar tissue, thus preventing complications.

The long history of cures obtained with cabbage, concern many different
diseases, including simple and complicated injuries, rheumatic pains,
facial neuralgia, headaches, leg ulcer, anthrax, and many others.
Cabbage - raw in salads, juiced, or steamed - has incomparable virtues
in the most diverse maladies.

Hippocrates had a peculiar affection for this vegetable. Should one
of his patients be seized with a violent colic, he at once prescribed a
dish of boiled cabbage with salt. Erasistratus looked upon it as a
sovereign remedy against paralysis. Pythagoras, and other learned
philosophers, composed books in which they celebrated the marvelous
virtues of the cabbage. Cato claimed that this plant infallibly cures
all diseases; and that he used it as a panacea to preserve his family
from the plague, which, otherwise, would not have failed to reach
them. It is to the use the Romans made of it, he adds, that they were
able during six hundred years to do without the assistance of
physicians, whom they had expelled from their territories.

The Romans used cabbage externally and internally for various illnesses,
as a purgative, disinfectant, and poultice; Roman soldiers applied
cabbage leaves to their wounds.

Printable Version: http://www.herballegacy.com/Cabbage_I.pdf

--
Only after the last tree has been
cut down;
Only after the last fish has been
caught;
Only after the last river has been
poisoned;
Only then will you realize
that money cannot be eaten.

Dear W.,
I had the same issues with my daughter when she was 9. We did tests and x-rays, but to no avail. We finally figured out her stomach was hurting because she was anxious all the time. She now goes to a therapist on a monthly basis and I'm happy to say she is a well adjusted happy 13 year old. This may not be the problem with your daughter, but I know when I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my daughter, it was stressful and heart wrenching. I hope you find an answer soon. God Bless.
C. R.

1 / 3