8 Year Old with Breakouts.

My 8 year old is starting to have, what looks like acne breakouts. This just seems so young to me. Hygiene is not an issue, we make sure she washes her hair everyday and cleanses her face in the morning and evening. Any suggestions on products to use to help clear up her breakouts.

I agree with the Mom who said that dairy products may be the culprit. We've switched to organic milk and beef, because the growth hormone they use in dairy cows is really similar to human growth hormone - and I didn't want to have my daughters start puberty just after I got them out of diapers!!

It's expensive, but I think it's worth it. Go organic with the milk, particularly, and I'll bet it clears up.

Everyone from my Grand daughter to my self use Body Satin facial products from Melaleuca They work and the are not expensive because you use so little. If you want to know more about them Just let me know.

I agree that this could be a diet-related condition, and it could even be a signal that your daughter has food allergies or sensitivities.

Wheat, dairy, and sugar all feed yeast, which kills off the friendly bacteria in the body. It's a good idea to avoid all three. Wheat and dairy are two of the most common food allergies and sensitivities.

Wheat compounds allergic reactions, even to other allergens. Dairy contributes to chronic pain and to break-outs. Sugar is feeds yeast and should be replaced with honey or real maple syrup.

Try avoiding all three foods for two weeks to see if her condition improves. My doctor switched me to this diet a year and a half ago, and my health has improved dramatically. It's easier to follow than it seems at first, and the changes in my hair, skin and nails is amazing. If you're interested in a full outline of the plan and some meal ideas and restaurant ordering suggestions, send me a private message and I will send it to you.

Breakouts can also be realated to an imbalance in the acidic and alkaline balance of the body. Make sure she eats a WELL BALANCED DIET and stays away from sugar, sodas, high refined carbs that send the acid levels up in the body. If she was a bit older, I'd recommend ALFALFA. If you do research, you'll find that this is an herb used for acne because it DOES help that balance. Check it out and see what it says in terms of recommended ages/weight, etc. I've know numerous people who've used it for that reason and it's made a HUGE difference - 100% of the time!

My 8 year old son is breaking out also and I have had him start using my Aveno face wash when he takes a bath/shower. Same with my 6 year old daughter since she had a blackhead on her nose that would not go away. I figure it is better to start them now on skin care than wait until they are teenagers!

Mary Kay has Velocity products designed to work with teenage skin. If you'd like more information on these, feel free to let me know.

I suffered from severe acne as a kid. I'm 31 now & still break out after seeing a dermatologist monthly (or every few months) for 10 years. I truly wish you luck -- it's hard to deal with! I think a dermatologist's recommendation is your best way to go.

Hi Angela,

You may try taking her off dairy (milk especially, yogurt, cheese, ice cream) for a period of time (30 days) to see if it clears up. Your doctor will not tell you this, though lately I have heard of doctors acknowledging milk as a culprit in the premature growth and development of girls. Milk has never been a big part of my food and I never had acne issues. My step sister has horrible acne and when she visits it clears 90% within a week. This was not intentional but we don't keep milk in the house and she doesn't ask so misses her daily glass of milk. Is it worth a try?
If it's too hard to avoid all dairy, pick cheese or yogurt and stick to organic for that time.
The short of it is non-organic milk contains growth horomones. A great book: The Unhealthy Truth by Robyn OBrien. As a Health Counselor I see many conditions clear by simply eliminating a food and adding whole nutrient rich foods.
P.

Hi Angela,

It seems young to me also. I'd check with her doc or get an appointment with a dermatologist.

K. Z.

Try to make sure her diet consists of plenty of fruits and vegetables. Drink lots of water. No soda!! If that doesn't help. Try eliminating dairy. The skin is a reflection of what's going on inside of the body. Only diet can help.

My grandson just started playing football for a college and his coach noticed his problem with his bach and chest acne. The football pads actually make it worse in the hot weather. The coach suggested using "Head and Shoulders" shampoo for the acne. It really has made a big difference. I am not sure if your daughter is too young but maybe whatever is used for cradle cap would work for her. Just some thoughts.

I recommend Melaleuca products. They are an international wellness company that has been around for 24 years. Their products are amazing. I would be cautious what you have her use because of all of the chemicals in the acne washes. Melaleuca has over 350 different products for your home. I LOVE THEM!!!! I have converted everything that I use to buy at the grocery store over to Melaleuca products because they are much safer and cost effective for my family. I personally use the acne line and it is great! If you are interested I would visit

www.SwitchingStores.com/mfehn to request more info.

~M.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
www.ChangingFamiliesLives.com
Helping moms work from home since 1999!

Try a little Witch Hazel on a cotton pad to clean her face after washing or astingent. You can use cotton balls in place of pads if you like. Some people like Clearskin or other products. I found Clearskin Astringent can be helpful but you can get as good a product at any store.

Hi My daughter is 7 1/2 and we are having a similar issue, beginning this summer. Unfortunately that is just the way the world has evolved. I use Aveeno face wash and limit her soda and fried foods. I also have begun keeping track because my daughter's breakouts seem to be in spurts...they aren't as severe but they are noticeable. Also now is a good time to teach them to keep their hands off of their faces and such...good habits start young. Good Luck!

Although the link is controversial, several studies have associated milk consumption with acne. Milk naturally contains hormones that may stimulate acne, and these hormones are present even in organic milk. My eight-year-old has always drunk organic milk, but is experiencing acne.

Here’s a news article which sums up the debate (and mentions organic milk).

http://tiny.cc/i8nv8

I have had success with Velocity from Mary Kay for preteen girls who have acne. You want to check to see if anything new has been introduced to her lately that could cause the problem (detergent changes, foods, etc) Does the acne cover her face or is it in a certain area (chin, forehead, hairline) Does she frequently do activities or play that bring her hands to her face? Hopefully that helps. My daughter has used Velocity since she was 9, and my husband uses it as well (smells great and really works!). Let me know if you want more information or want to get some.

Anything with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide in it will help with breakouts. Try using a face wash with either of those ingredients instead of soap. She may be having issues with sensitive skin as well. Another thing you may want to try is washing her pillows or pillowcases more often, and even switching laundry detergent to one that is free of fragrance and dyes. Also make sure she is drinking plenty of water. If she has a cell phone, make sure that is clean as well. If none of that helps, your best bet would be to take her to a dermatologist.