8 Year Old Vegetarian

My 8 year old declared about two weeks ago that she was a vegetarian, and has not eaten meat since. Anyone have any recipes that are kid friendly and provide the essential nutrients she needs?

All of those suggestions are great! I would also say that if you go to Akins over in Brookwood (29th St.) that they will have a host of great products that will help you. Morningstar Farms stuff is great too, and TVP has come a long way. Good luck!

Look on Allrecipes.com...they have great recipes. I would think that as long as she is getting the recommended amount of protein every day, not eating meat may not be such a bad thing. Good luck!

I'm not sure of any specific recipes but you might want to research PERFECT PROTIENS... the building blocks to a perfect protein are present in most foods however, only meat has combined all those blocks in one food. It is very important for strict VEGANs to eat combinations of foods ie. beans and certain grains make a perfect protien. Talk with her and see if she is set on no eggs, fish, dairy, etc. If she plans to eliminate all of the above you may need to see a nutrionist to get the best idea of what to feed her. However, if she is still eating dairy and eggs just be sure to include both in her diet, it will help a lot with getting all of her nutirents. Keep in mind too that replacing meat with grains and cheese does not make for balanced nutrition and she will likely gain weight (that's what I did when I was about that age, maybe 10; it took 2.5 yrs and 25lbs to realize I was better off eating meat). Being vegetarian can be one of the healthiest decisions she's made so long as you do keep her meals balanced-lot's of veggies! Also, I would consider joining a local CSA- it's farm sharing, and you get weekly deliveries of fresh fruits and veggies through the harvest season (6mo) for a reasonable price... having them around is an insurance policy to eating them! Good luck!

Hello, I have been a vegetarian for twenty years, and my seven year old daughte has never consumed meat. She loves Morning star farms Chick Nuggets, those are our easy meals. Rice and Beans offer complete protien, as does dairy, eggs, milk, and cheese. There ar all types of products on the marjet for vegetarians now, and finding food shouldn't be very haMOst recipes, you can just remove the meat, you could add beans, TVP, or some other meat alternative. I have no problems with my daughter's nutrition, and she's a very picky eater. If you want any ideas, for recipes, you could do a google search, I have some also if you would like, email me. Good luck.

http://www.vegankids.org/recipes/
This has a lot of good, kid friendly recipes, my daughter and I are both vegetarian, more on the vegan side (no dairy, eggs) and she's very healthy, I would recommend giving your daughter a childrens multivitamin that has B complex. She can get her protein from beans, nuts, seeds, etc. We really don't need as much protein as we think we do, so it shouldn't be a problem. You can make most of your everyday meals vegetarian by using meat substitues like boca crumbles or tofu, which will take on the flavor of anything you cook it with. Not only will your meals be cruelty free but much much healhier for you. Have fun experimenting!! :)
http://petakids.com/ is a good website for young kids who are into animal rights and cruelty free living.

My kids love veggies too. I make sucatash with rice one a week. If you never have had it, it is wonderful. Cook a can of Lima beans (Protean) for anout 10 minutes in 1/2 cup water then add a can of corn drained until it boils the cover it and reduce heat to low for 5 minutes Wisk 3 tablespoons of flour in 1/2 cup of milk then pour it in the mixture and it will thicken up. I serve it over a bed of brown rice and my two boys 4 &2 eat every bite. I put a little seasoning salt on mine.

Southern-Style Salsa
1/2c. chopped green bell pepper
1/2c. chopped red bell pepper
1 fresh jalapeno pepper seeded & chopped
1/4c. chopped green onions with tops
1 Tablespoon snipped cilantro
1 garlic clove pressed
1 can (15oz)Southern-style preseasoned black-eyed peas drained & rinsed
1c frozen whole kernelcorn thawed
1/3c.Italian salad dressing 1/4t. hot pepper sauce
put everything together
I make my own dressing as it is more natural and we are using natural medicine to heal cancer. Your daughter is on the right track. We eat this with scoop chips and we love it. Its not real spicey but you could live out the pepper sauce.

You will want to make sure she is getting enough B vitamins.
I get my Isotonix B-vitamins from www.marketamerica.com/2bewell
click on the bold faced word ISOTONIX
B-complex is 3rd to the last product
A great children's vitamin I give my own kids can also be found under ISOTONIX
You will find great information there to read up on!

1 / 3