8 Year Old Girl Questions

My 8 year old daughter is in 3rd grade this year. All types of questions seem to be coming up this year! I am curious if there is a book or website that has kid friendly answers....for questions like these? What is a period? How to handle it when a boy at school says he loves her? Things of that nature.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thank you all so much for the recommendations! We are headed to the bookstore today to see what we can find. I really appreciate all the feedback:)

I'm going to 3rd the American Girl book. I just bought a copy for my 8 YO. My older daughter got her copy when she was 8 also. AG also has some books about emotions, friends, what to say when, etc. Very fun to read.

The American Girl Library is different from The American Girl Books (historical fiction). We have loved the many titles in the American Girl Library including The Smart Girl's guide to Feelings, Food, Money, Babysitting, Friendship Troubles etc. As well as the Care and Keeping of You and the companion books. We got a lot of them on Ebay with about 10-15 titles and supplemented from Barnes and Noble from there.

We also have given our daughter copies of "What's Happening To Me? by Usborne"; "American Medical Association's Girl's Guide to Becoming a Teen"; my personal favorite growing up "Where DId I Come From" and "What's Happening To Me?" by Peter Mayle cartoon books that explain the title's questions; and "It's So Amazing" by Robie H. Harris a really well illustrated, very thorough and age appropriate book (listed for 7 and up, I think we gave it to her at around age 9 or 10). Also by Robie Harris is "It's Perfectly Normal" and "It's Not The Stork" all fun and informative books, just make sure you spend some time with the books to make sure they are relaying what you want her to know, and take the time to explain your preferences (pads versus tampons, who can love whom, etc.). Information leads to knowledge and knowledge is power.

Our daughter keeps these books in a cabinet under her book shelf so they are there for her but she feels like they are in her private library and not out when friends come over. We believe in giving opportunities for age appropriate information and as she matures she has the resources to reread and get new information or to process it at the level she has grown to. We have amazing communication and I think a lot is because we let her ask questions and guide her to places to get true information.

Check out the line of American Girl books. Excellent!

"The Care and Keeping of You" is the first one I would locate.

Best wishes,
Michelle
(mother to an 8 year old/3rd grader)

I also loved this book.. It says teenagers, but I first purchased it for my daughter when she was in 4th grade.. There are lots of great things in it so kids will have self confidence in lots of situations..

"How Rude, The Teenagers Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out" By Alex J. Packer, Ph, D

Amazon has used ones that start at $2.00!
http://www.amazon.com/How-Rude-Teenagers-Behavior-Grossin...

EDIT to add, thanks Laurie for suggestion another title, I've been looking for another book on the same subject since my daughter loved the AG book. I will def try that one, I love the title too.

I was going to suggest the same book Michelle said. My daughter is 9 and also in third grade and this book has been amazing help my daughter get all her answers.
we read together and she asks tons of questions; she does not feels embarassed in any way, she loves her book.
I really recommend it.

The American Girl book that Michelle recommended is the book that I bought for my daughter when she was in 4th grade, and she referred to it all the time. It explained things so well and made it fun and interesting.

Good Luck!!

Hi there. Yup, The American Girls books are fabulous!!! Over the years I have bought almost all of them for my daughter, turning 13 in a few weeks, and she loves them too. They give just the right information and in a way that is factual and non threatning, comfortable. Very proper books for young ladies. Love them! Amazon is where I got all of them. I would def start with "the care and keeping of you". Good luck!

I can not recommend the American Girl All About Me book enough. They have others as well that are all VERY good.

1 / 3