8 Year Old Bed Wetting

My soon to be 8 year old son is still wetting his bed. We're at our wits end with changing sheets and re-making beds. This also has effected his sleeping b/c he wakes up really early when his bed is all wet. We've tried monitoring his liquid in take before bed. We've worn Good Nights for a long time (his doesn't want to wear them anymore). We've started waking him up again before we go to bed and have him use the bathroom - but sometimes that doesn't even work. The Dr. has said he is immature and will grow out of it but I can't take it anymore. I wash his bedding 3-4 times a week - it's crazy and time consuming! Any help would be appreciated.

D., I am in the same boat, but my husband and I started cutting off the amount of fluid before bed time. Also waking him up after he goes to hed helps and making him go before bed. Although it doesn't work all of the time it works most of the time.
I want to try the sensor though I heard that it works really well

Dear D.,

He will eventually grow out of it -- mine did! In the meantime, invest in several large, commercial grade hospital bed pads from a hospital/medical supply store. They can be put down on top of the sheet and/or underneath. That didn't eliminate all the laundry for us, but at least we weren't having to do sheets every single day.

I can sympathize with you whole heartedly...my son did the same until he was 11 years old. I too took him to the Pediatrician who told me there was nothing medically wrong. But as I had a similar problem until I was 9 years old we felt it may be somewhat hereditary. He did wear Goodnights every night up until this stopped and I can promise you, it WILL stop. I did find however that the more i was concerned and made an issue of it the more often it seemed to happen, as if anxiety was playing a role. We stopped all liquid intake by 8pm and reminded him to go to the bathroom before bed. Eventually he was waking up dry every morning.
I do not know if this has helped you at all, but just know that you are not alone, and as frustrating as this problem is, this to shall pass.

My son had the same thing. We resorted to having him sleep in a sleeping bag on his bed. Then when he woke up he could strip, throw the bag on the floor and get into bed to continue his sleep. I worked full time and found it was pretty easy to throw a sleeping bag into the washer every morning. Oh....we had a waterproof pad in a pretty large size between the sleeping bag and the bed blankets. If the sleeping bag soaked through I still didn't have sheets, blankets and pillows to wash every day. He was 10 or 11 when his bladder grew to the size needed. Lots of boys have this problem. Just no one ever talks about it or else they deny it. Maybe this will work for you. It took alot of the tension and frustration out of the situation for us.
P.S. The buzzer system worked for one of my sons but not for the one we ended up putting in a sleeping bag.

D. my son also wet his bed for a very long time,

he is a heavy sleeper, SO the solution to that is not limiting his fluid intake, JUST his caffiene intake,
Milk and water 1 hour before bed is fine

however he needs to go to bed at or before 830pm
9pm is too late.

the earlier to bed the lighter his sleep , and the more likely he is to feel the urge to pee.

Before bed you walk him to the bathroom,
before you go to bed walk him to the bathroom.

and finally set the alarm clock for 2 AM just like a baby for feeding. and WALK him to the bathroom.

there is nothing the doctor can do except offer you medication.

Finally if this for some reason doesn't work for YOU.

BUY the hospital URINE pads for his bed, at least you only have to wash that.

---M

Just like some people get cold-like symptoms for allergies, others get bedwetting or headaches or other strange things. Toxic buildup in the kidneys could be another cause. My daughter wet the bed until she was nearly 14 when we finally found a solution to get the excess mercury out of her body.
Common allergens as far as food go are dairy, wheat, soy, corn but it could be anything. You may want to try eliminating dairy for a couple weeks and see if it helps or better yet avoid all those foods and if the bedwetting stops, add them back in, one at a time and see which one is the offender. Might be all of them. Corn is in just about everything so become a label reader if you decide to try this.

Your doctor sounds clueless. This has nothing to do with immaturity! I'm sure he would like nothing more than to have his "problem" stopped. You may want to take him to a naturopath instead. Waking someone up in the night with noisy contraptions is not a healthy solution. It's not solving the problem just saving some laundry.

If you decide to take any of the advice about medication, be sure to read the side effects first, before even filling the prescription. It amazes me what is legal. ALL drugs have side effects.

My daughter can drink a huge glass of water now before bed and not wake up or pee the bed. As a matter of fact withholding water can further damage the kidneys by allowing toxic buildup. She was born with kidney issues. They are all gone now. I had a lot of mercury in my system and by virtue of pregnancy us mothers pass it on to our children. This is one reason some people have a few miscarriages before having a baby. The body is cleaning itself. Mercury comes from silver-colored dental fillings, vaccinations, Rhogam shots, etc. Other toxins create problems too but mercury is very bad for the kidneys.

If you'd like to phone or email me you can contact me through my website: www.sharethecause.com/detoxqueen. I'm a nutritional consultant and I don't charge for phone consults although I do sell products to keep the free counseling going. I guarantee a result on everything I recommend.

S. Hoehner

My son was the same and although we tried the same solutions, it finally came down to his outgrowing it. I know he didn't like wetting the bed and besides asking his help in stripping and remaking the bed, I tried not to be too cranky about it (not always successfully). I tried to use it as a point of developing compassion with him. Everyone has some challenge and we don't need to be judgemental. He's a great kid and is almost completely beyond the very, very occassional accident.

Me and my husband had the same issue with our son and my husband would get him up at 11pm every night and bring him to the toilet to pee. (If you want specifics, email me and I'll elaborate!) It took awhile (felt like forever!) but, it did pay off! My son will be turning 10 soon and has not wet the bed in over 2 years!
Hope this was helpful!
G. (____@____.com)

My 19 year old son wet his bed when he was 8 too. The doctor said it was due to "middle child symdrome" and tension in the household. Not done out of needing attention, but his mind regressed back to when my son's mind was at peace.(diaper age)

Just a thought,
Nanc

That Doctor line "He is immature and will grow out of it" is so old-school.. shame on him. Also humiliating him is not the answer. Bed wetting is not a conscious decision it is a sleep disorder. Using the "good-nights" is like taking medicine. While the bed-wetting problem exists, I don't think your son should have a choice in wearing them.

My daughter wet the bed, and also sometimes had trouble with sleep-walking. We took her to a pediatric neurologist who prescribed a mild sleep aid a few hours before bedtime. It reset her sleep cycle, ( delta waves vs beta or alpha waves.. confuses me) But it gave her more REM sleep and less of the deeper sleep. She did great on it.

If your son has any other sleep issues talk to a doctor who is more open minded to finding a solution as opposed to brushing it off as no big deal.

Maybe the doctor would be more receptive if you start calling him whenever you get up to change the sheets. After a few nights of that, he might see it from your perspective ;-)

Teach him the Kegel exercises to strengthen his bladder control muscles-make it a game to stop urinating mid-stream, hold it for a few seconds, then continue.

1 / 3