8 Months and Not Sitting on His Own

Hello,

My "little man" is 8 months old. I call him a "little man" because he weights 27 pounds and is about 32 inches long. When he was born he weighted 9.13. When he was 4 months old he had to have his circ done again, have both testicles pulled down and tacked along with have double hernia removal.

So, having that said. He is not sitting up on his own. With our help, we sit him up and he plays with toys that we put in front of him with both hands. I put some toys just out of his reach to see what he would do. He tried to grab them and then fell over. He did not try to catch himself. He does really well rolling over and pushes up. When we lay him down in his crib for nap time or bed time. I peek in there to see how he is doing. He rolls over and looks above the bumper pads as if he wants to play peek-a-boo. He thinks that's funny.

I am just concerned that since he has had all of this done, he is delayed at sitting up and crawling. He does not want any part of crawling. We put him on his tummy and try to put his knees under him and he sure does get mad. I put toys out of reach for him so he will try and get them. So, far that has not worked.

We have put him in his walker and he loves it. He gets around really well in it. He has found the drawers under the tv. He knows he is not suppose to play over there and as he is grabbing the drawer handle he is looking right at you.

Anyway, if you have any tips on how to help my "little man" that would be wonderful.

~EDIT~
I forgot to mention that my son is 98% in height, weight and his head. He stands very well in his walker. He did have physical therpy after his surgery. He also had to wear a helmet for his head being misshaped from being on his back to much.

My daughter is 12, and I look back and see where she was at this point. She was 18 months when she weighted 27lbs. But she was born at 7.7, and I know I can't compare because all babies are different.

Thanks for all the advice!

Thank you!

Over the weekend, my son decieded to scoot backwards on his belly. Like of like they do in the Service. I was cracking up. He is trying to sit up in his crib.

Thanks for all the advice that everyone has given me! We work with him daily. My mother-in-law watches him and she is an CNA so she works with him sitting up and things like that.

Thanks again!

Hi, L.

My son was also always at 98% on the chart. He only sat on his own at 10months, started crawling at 11,5 months and walked at 16 months. People were always asking what was wrong with him because he was so big and couldn't do the things they expected him to be able to do. He is now 11 years old, still big for his age but keeps up with his peers perfectly.

He'll sit up a crawl when he's ready. My daughter sat up by six months but didn't crawl til a year and didn't walk until 15 months. She's perfectly fine now at 28 months. They all develop at their own pace. I would think the bigger the baby is , the harder it would be for them to learn to crawl. And you have one big baby! LOL I thought my daughter had been big....

My now 14 mo old was in the same place at 9 mos and my pediatrician completely freaked me out...I have two other kids and really feel 98% of the time kids just do it in their own time, so when she reccomended her for EI (early intervention) I was shocked. While she had no surguries in her first year of life she was sick entirely from 4 to 12 months (chicken pox, rsv, the croup and then colds in between, leaving only one well week). She is now 14 months and walking...she just needed a little extra time. i would also imagine that being so big makes it a little more challenging to master all the skills...we went ahead and did the eval (it's free and can only be helpful...) so I would maybe discuss it with your ped at his 9 mo if you are still concerned.

sometimes these thing take a little more time.I thought my sson would never crawl. he he still fell over quite a bit at 7 and 8 month and he also loned his walker. now he just over a year and running all over the place pestering the cat. poor kitty. so just be patient if you are not sure check with the doc. It will all be fine.

L. - First I would check with your Dr. but it sure sounds like a normal response to all he's been through. Some babies never crawl and go straight to walking so I wouldn't worry about that at all. I'd just keep giving him opportunities to reach for those toys and eventually he'll figure out how to catch himself. He's obviously curious and devious just like he should be. :) Enjoy this time before he crawls/walks as he'll be into even more soon! LacyLyn

I also have huge babies, both of them off the charts. My now 3-year old walked at 11 months, and my 12 month old isn't walking yet. I'm not worried, but I was a little concerned when my 12 months old wasn't crawling at 10 months. I went to the Dr for his checkup and they asked if he uses an exersaucer. The Dr. said that it can actually delay their sitting up/crawling because they're not using their own muscles to pull themselves up. He said he'd rather see the kids going through the developmental stages on their own, without the help of the walker. They recommended more tummy time (which we were pretty lax on doing with our second), and with 2 20-minute sessions per day, within a week or two he was sitting, and trying to crawl! It was amazing what a little "real" exercise on his tummy did. So maybe that's your son too, who knows? Ask your Dr. and try the regular tummy time, even if he gets mad at first it's good for him. (You could work up to the 20 min. if he hates it- start at 5, then 10 after a couple days, etc.)
Best wishes!

Hi there - don't worry too much - that being said, be sure the pediatrician is aware of what he's doing. It sounds to me like, due to his size, that one thing might be mastering the balance to sit up. The fact that he isn't trying to catch himself when he falls over means he could still be a month or longer away from sitting up on his own. There's a name for the reflex where you put your arm out instictively to catch yourself, and it's definitely a developmental milestone. So you want to watch for that one.

The other obstacle is that most likely his little legs are really strong from his walker, but his core isn't. The walker facilitates strength on the bottom half of babies' bodies, and almost none on top. He needs to start spending a significant amount of time down on the floor on his tummy in order to build up the strength to hold himself up when sitting.

And there is no way he will crawl before he sits - again, his core doesn't have the strength.

I would involve my pediatrician in help with this issue to help your little man along.

Best of luck.

Not to be a naysayer, but most general pediatricians don't necessarily catch all the signs for Early Intervention qualification. My son has very mild delays which I feel would have frustrated him in preschool if we hadn't been involved with Early Intervention. My gut feel was right and EI was a Godsend. You can request information from your pediatrican to contact EI services. The evaluation is free and usually done in your home. Then they scale a monthly payment based on your family income and usually have a therapist come to your house 1x/week until your child reaches age 3. If your son qualifies, he may not even need services beyond 3 because at that point his muscles/motor development could be on target. It did wonders for my son's physical and emotional development and his self-esteem. He is far and away better off than he would have been if left to "just being a boy" who do things on their own schedule. Also, keep in mind that just because you may consider EI, doesn't mean there is anything "wrong" with your son. He could just need a bump in his motor development. Good Luck! Judy

Hello!

I think your little man sounds adorable. It's easy to fret over these things especially with all todays concentration on milestones but I truly think your little guy is going at his own pace.

He's tall so it's going to take a little longer for him to hold all that body up. And crawling...there are two people in my gymboree class who's babies didn't start any kind of crawl (creeping, etc) until 9 months.

Keep working with him and one day it will just happen. I also recommend the Parents Yoga DVD which helps babies work on their core which is what holds them up when sitting/standing.

Best of luck to you and your little man!

My daughter, Willow, is also a very large little girl. Shes in the 96th percentile, at 24lbs, and shes not even 8 months old yet. And like your son- she doesnt sit well on her own, nor does she care about crawling. Dont worry though- all babies are different! My dad says that I was WALKING at 8 months!!! Also- I'm an older mother- at 36 years old. And all my other children progressed at different rates, too. Theres probably nothing going on with your son, and you just wait- before long you'll be chasing him all over the place!

1 / 3