8 Month Old Pulling Hair

My son is 8 months old, pulling hair, and I'd like to break this behavior now. Is it possible to or should I just assume it's a phase. He doesn't do it maliciously. For example, he was trying to kiss the cheek of his friend the other day but pulls on his hair in the process. He does the same thing to his father and I. I realize that he has no idea that this hurts or that he can simply bring his head to our cheek but I'd like to stop this habit now to avoid further issues. I have been saying "No" and pulling his hand away but it may be too early for him to understand. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?

When my son was young and did the same thing I would take his hand and let him pat my hair [sounds funny but that is the best way to describe it] and say pretty pretty, nice. Even when he went for my earring I did the same thing he eventually stopped pulling but if he wanted to touch he would say pretty, pretty, nice. When he was a toddler and we would be out shopping and he saw something I would say pretty, pretty, no touch, look pretty, no touch and that worked for me good luck

Don't be too stressed about it...this is normal behavior for babies:) he is learning about his world and what things are. Especially at this age sensory is a big thing, he is exploring what things feel like and hair close by is too irresistable not to touch! Same goes for glasses and earings/necklaces.

Encourge him with appropirate things and textures, wear a ponytail for a while and enjoy your little guy:)

You're doing the right thing....telling him "no" & removing his hand from the person's hair is the right way to go. It may take a little while for him to catch on (it is the age after all), but he will. We went through this with my son & daughter at that age (now 2.9yrs & 11 months)& hasn't been too much of a problem since (we had to do the same thing about touching people's glasses since my husband & I wear glasses). They still try every once in a while when playing around, but are usually ok & stop when we tell them too. Good Luck!

Since he's so young, I think the best approach is to remove him from the situation. If you're holding him and he pulls hair, put him down and walk away. Just for 30 seconds or one minute, then have him do something else to distract him. If he pulls someone else's hair, pick him up and move him to another area. I think he really is too young to understand no, but not too young to understand that there won't be any attention given to him when he behaves that way.

My son pulled hair a lot when he was the same age. I actually posted the same question maybe 6 months ago? Anyway, I got great advice from my question which I will pass onto you. Don't make a big deal out of it. When I don't want my son to do something I say "No thank you." When he would pull my hair I would just say no thank you very calmly and remove his hands. He seemed to grow out of it and then went back to pulling it again when he was about 13 months old. Only now he was doing it on purpose. I would say no thank you and explain that hurts me. If he persisted I would get up and walk away from him ( a few feet) and do something different where he couldn't get to my hair. For, now I don't think your son is doing it on purpose. I would also use the word gentle a lot with him to explaine touching and show him how to touch your hair softly. Good luck!

I remember that. I agree that you are doing what you can. Say no...it hurts Mommy...and pull his hand away. I remember putting my hair up in a ponytail more often in phase just to give myself a break.

I REALLY think he is too young for this to be considered a behavioral issue or even a habit. I'd say he is way too young to even realize that the hair is attached to your head. My son is 9 months and pulls my hair, his sister's hair (my husband is bald, lucky him!) but also will pull anything else that's dangling - earrings, necklaces, the strings on a sweatshirt. (My daughter did the same exact thing when she was that age.) I just take his hands off of whatever he's pulling on or put my hair up when I'm carrying him around or playing with him. I think it's good to re-direct and take his hands off of your hair, but I really think he'll eventually grow out of it.

I think if you make a big deal out of this it will become a big deal when it doesn't need to be. Since you know he is going to do it, simply watch for him to go at your hair, and gently hold his hand and distract him. He is so young he has no idea that what he is doing is hurting you. Good luck. This too shall pass!

1 / 3