8 Month Old - Bad Breath

My 8 month old does not have any teeth yet. She tends to have some stinky breath at times. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions to help this situation?

My sister-in-law noticed that her daughter had terrible breath when she drank Juicy Juice.

another thing that even kids with no teeth might benefit from a little kids toothpaste on the gums.

They need to stay hydrated as well. A child, or adult for that matter, that does not get enough fluids will get bad breath.

They will also get bad breath when they are sick...like runny noses and such.

Hope that gives you some help.

Did she just get over a cold or does she have a cold? It can indicate an infection. My daughter (2 tomorrow) had this and it was because she could not breathe through her nose and only through her mouth which causes bacteria to form.
She also had swollen tonsils. Once she started on the antibiotic, the bad breath went away.

I have read all of the suggestions and they are great...to add to them, my son had a similiar problem. I was really embarrased when he came home from daycare one day and told me that his teacher told him that his breath was "kicking." I talked to his allergist about it and he suggested I get the little noses saline spray and give each nostril a squirt at bedtime and it definitely helped. After that, I could smell nothing but toothpaste...it is a practice that I still do on a consistent basis. I hope this helps. Of course, please make sure nothing is stuck in the nose first.

Now would be an excellent time to introduce a toothbrush and practice with just water. It will help prepare for toothbrushing down the line and will eliminate some of the bacteria. Don't use toothpaste, just water.

If that doesn't work, you can also use a clean wet washcloth to gently massage the gums and tounge.

Our ped. told us that sometimes it can be an early sign of dehydration. I would really push the fluids and be sure she's drinking enough. I also agree with all the toothbrushing advice (it's never too early to begin a good routine). :)

L.,

You might make sure that she doesn't have something in her nose. I once had a child with really bad breath and she had been picking the foam stuffing out of a hole in the carseat and putting it in her nose!

I've noticed this with my children before. When I brush the tongue the smell goes away.

Hope that gives you some help.

It probably doesn't mean much but can be an underlying medical condition such as tonsilits or a sinus condition. Kids do amazing things sometimes. I once had a friend who's child stuffed a piece of rag up inside his nose and it went unnoticed until an odor started coming from his mouth because it had caused a slight infection inside his nasal cavity. If you have real concern, tell your pediatrician.

1 / 3