8 Month Old and Constipation

My eight month old has severe constipation. For the past 4 days has been pooping rabbit pellets. In fact last night he pooped and when i changed him, his bottom was so raw that his little cheeks were bleeding. I have tried juice, change of diet, and nothing has worked. Has anyone ever used a probiotic and prebiotic on their infants? I am looking for anything that would work. I do not want to do medication. I want to stay natural. I also do not want to go to the doctor unless I absolutely have to. We do not have insurance. I would love anything that works out there from you smart mammas.

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful advice. What we decided to do is go back to strictly breastfeeding and start again with solids. I think he wasn't getting enough liquids, he was only breastfeeding 4 times a day. So yesterday I strictly breastfed him, with a little bit of pears and some apple juice (which he took, he is horrible with a bottle) and he went. I am going to continue to breastfeed him more and see if that regulates him. As for the raw bottom. We use cloth diapers, so I am going to try some of the suggestions that won't ruin his diapers and wash away. Thank you so much

when mine was young like that I was told to put about a tbs of caro syrup in about 6 ounces of water. It worked great.

Both my son and daughter went through the same problem. Eating ripe bananas helps. Green beans, corn, spinach all help with the tract. When none of those worked, I would use the suppositories sold in the baby section of the store. It is not harmful and it works right away. You just simply deposit it in the rectum and right away sit them on the stool. It works that fast. Usually once you have done that, it seems to solve the problem. It may happen down the road again but you at least will know what to do. As for the redness, there is a product called Bag Balm. It is also what is used on female cows utters to keep from chaffing. Sounds a little wierd but it works. You also might want to try Dark corn syrup in the bottle if you are still bottle feeding. Good Luck
Suzanne

I had the same problem with my baby at this age. Miralax worked wonders! Just put 1/2 teaspoon or so in his bottle every day. You cannot overdose on this medicine and it is safe for babies. It seems expensive but if you get it at Costco it's a lot less...plus, you only use a little so it lasts forever. For immediate relief you can use glycerin suppositores. Gross to use but will very quickly take care of the constipation. Good luck

I have no idea if this will make any difference, but it may be worth a shot. I'm still breastfeeding my 7 month old, and we're dealing with exzema. Someone told me to quit using dairy to help clear this up. It's been great (other than no cheese or ice cream for me :)), the exzema is about 50% gone in 2 weeks. But other than that his poop has totally changed!! He doesn't seem to be as fussy at night, and his poop has gone back to a soft consistency, not those hard turds (sorry if this is too discriptive). Anyway, I've heard now that dairy allergies are quite common, and can have a wide range of simptoms, and Dr.'s usually don't pick up on it unless it's quite severe. Good Luck!

S.,

I have two suggestions for you. My daughter had the same problem with severe constipation and my doctor suggested changing to a low iron formula and that did the trick. I guess most of the regular formulas have much more iron than most kids need because of the lower income mom's tend to water down the formula to make it last longer. As for the rash, try Boudreaux’s Butt Paste - it works wonders!

Hi I am sure you have gotten a lot of advice already,but I have found with my 2 half year old boy, and my 18 month old daughter, they both get constipated, my son was soo bad he couldnt get it out, I had to help... I dont want that for you or anyones baby, so I have found a carefully orchestrated diet. Oatmeal every morning, yogurt to help regulate digestion for snacks, lots of green vegetables, my daughter loves beans which also helps tremendously, fruit 2-3 times a day. Not too much with the red meats, slowly work into that it causes constipation as does bananas, apples, cheeses, etc. And lots of liquids!!! Anything can be pureed into baby food, the fruits and grains are the best bet as well as green vegetables, keep his diet really natural and healthy and I have eliminated the constipation for the most part. And A&D ointment REALLY helps with the raw butt. My pediatrician said also it can be yeast and told me to use lotrimin cream on their butts if it gets bad and it goes away fast. Good Luck!!
A.

hi S.. my daughter has had the same problem since she was about that age and is now 2. something that has helped a little for us is using powered fiber and putting in her all her drinks. the trick for us was to keep her regular. id definetly suggest powered fiber.

Does the little guy like baby prunes? When my daughter was was little she was a little constipated also so I gave her the prunes for babies, she would tell me when she needed prunes and ate them till she was four. She would go to the cupboard and point till she started talking then she could tell me.
Good luck and try that for awhile, you might have some gooey diaper to change but that will be okey.

My husband is a Chiropractor and he has recommended probiotics for newborns. They are safe and I would definitely recommend them. We use the kind in capsules and open the capsule and dump it in applesauce. You could mix it with any kind of baby food. I would also make sure he's getting plenty to eat, and since my husband is a Chiro I would recommend finding a Chiropractor in your area that works on infants and children. A misalignment of the spine could be causing his problems. Good luck!

Our little guy was the same way. We found out he had reflux and was only nursing for comfort, not for food. Thus, the constipation was the result of not enough liquids. Once we took care of the reflux the other went away. He was initially put on Zantac and Prevacid. Prevacid will help with constipation. If your DS has growth problems as well, that could be the problem. If you know someone who would let you see how much he is nursing, that would tell you if he's drinking enough. Our doctor doesn't charge for that. I've done it after the morning patients are all checked in and there is a room available, just before they're lunch. All you do is weigh the baby, feed the baby, and weigh again. Do not change a diaper in between weighings. The amount of weight gain is the number of ounces eaten. There may be more natural ways you could treat the reflux. Our DS was so very ill from malnutrition by the time he was diagnosed that we needed a quick fix to it. GL!

1 / 3