8 Mo Old with Sniffles and No Appetite

Hello Ladies
My 8 mo old son has just come down with his first cold. We are on day 3 now. First day he had low fever 101.5, then 100.5. Second day he had no fever but he has the sniffles and a light shallow cough. I think he has nasal drip and it itches his throat. Now on day 3 he still has sniffles and cough but is refusing to eat solids. I BF'd this morning and after his first nap. Is it common for infants to lose their appetite with cold symptoms. Is he refusing to eat due to a sore throat. I've been giving him saline drops a couple times a day and keeping the humidifier on in his room. Not sure how to make him more comfortable?? Any advice would be great!!
L

My girls dont eat when they have colds either. Their Dr. said that it is normal and expected. Not only because they are full of phlem and mucus but normally cant breath either and that makes it hard to breath. He will be fine. If it goes on too long (week or so) then I would worry.
If you think he has a sore throat give him a few teething pellets (Hylands - can find at health food stores or CVS) its not only for teething but coat the throat. I use them myself.

Most of the post nasal drip causes a full or bloated sensation in their bellies from what I was told by our ped eons ago when my youngest had one of her first colds so that could account for the light appetite. He also told us to just to keep an eye on her hydration. As long as she was putting out as much urine as we were putting into her we were fine. It's hard to tell w/them going so little at times & their diapers absorbing it. But do the best you can in judgin. If he is fever free you should be good, as there is normally a fever if dehydraded but don't hesitate to contact either the dr's office or answering service. It sounds like you are doing all that you can so try not to worry too much. Good luck!

Breastfeeding is the best thing for a cold bc of comfort and nourishment. Usually babies don't eat bc their noses are stuffy so they need mouths to breathe. Saline in nose is same as breastmilk in nose...just to dry it up. Humidifier and cuddling will help make baby feel better. Elevate head for sleep. In bouncy seat or swing if baby likes it and maybe a warm quick bath before bed. Keep trying solid food--scrambled egg white?ask pediatrician if allowed to eat egg. Some protein that's easy to swallow! Good luck mama!

Absolutely. My daughter's food intake always decreases when she is sick. And when she was that age, she had no desire to eat solid foods at all when she had a bad cold. It was straight breast milk and formula. I had the same concerns you did, but the doctor assured me there was no need to worry and she was right. You can call your pediatrician to double check. As for his room -- if his cough is interfering with his sleep, raise on end of us crib. We do that all the time and it works wonders. Good luck and hope your little guy feels better soon.

It is typical for them to have a decrease in appetite but if he's not eating at all, I would call the doctor, never hurts to do that. Also, if he's missing nursing sessions, I'd make sure that you are pumping for those sessions or else you will see a decrease in your milk supply if he's skipping feedings over a period of days.
I hope your little guy is feeling better soon!

It is great u r breast feeding him. My son got roseola and he was sleepy and not eating and he was 14 mos. when this happened. Breast feeding was great because he got fluids. It seems like you are doing everything correctly. Time will pass and he will be back to being your healthy, active boy as boys are.

I think you should call your pediatrician. He could have allergies along with a cold but I think it is worth a trip in to the doc's office.
Good luck and hang in there :)

I am sorry your little one is sick. It all depends on the child. My first son who is 6 now has never been sick enough to lose his appetite but my little one who is 6 months now has already had a cold where he refused to eat much. One thing that I have used is saline for their noses. Little noses makes one. This clears out their noses and makes it easier to breath. It also seems to help them get rid of the cold faster. Good luck!

1 / 3