8 Mo. Old Not Taking Naps

My friends 8 mo. old boy is learning to pull himself up, which is great, except for when its nap time. He not wanting to nap, just pull himself up. I'm not sure as he know how to get down with out falling over. I was just wondering if anyone else had that same problem and what they did about it.

Its only the begining. He is getting older and more interested in exploring his world. Just enforce the nap time by keeping him in his bed and keeping the room quiet and dark. You can't make a child go to sleep but you can set the conditions for it.
I'm assuming that he his pulling himself up in the crib. If he falls over, he will land on the soft matress. Try not to worry, they are tougher than they look.

I went through the same thing when my son learned how to pull himself up on his crib, except he would do it at night during bedtime. That's all he wanted to do! If he woke up the first thing he would do is pull himself up on the crib, I kept having to lay him back down. It went on for a little while, not too long. I guess until the novelty of it all wore off. So I think it will pass after a few days, maybe even a week or two, until it's not new to him anymore....I wish your friend luck.....

This happened with my daughter as well. It was a headache for a few weeks, but it didn't last forever. I read in a book (Happy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child by Weisbluth) that you shouldn't worry about them falling. Since there's a mattress they shouldn't get hurt. I remember at this stage that I felt like I had to be there every time she was standing up because she might fall, but that only lasted about a week or 2 and then she could safely get down on her own.

If your friend normally puts the baby down and leaves the room (even if the baby is awake), I would tell her to do the same thing even if he stands. She could keep a close eye on him at the crack in the door and watch what happens. Eventually he will get tired and be ready to sleep. She could even go in if he really gets upset and lay him down every 5 minutes or so. He'll learn :)

read the book : healthy sleep habits, happy baby! its so good!!! it will tell you everything you need to know.

My oldest (now 4) stopped taking naps altogether at 6 months old. He sleeps through the night, 10 to 12 hours and is fine.

Dear A.,
Neither one of my kids were nappers. I had a girl and a boy, 10 years apart. When I brought my first baby home, I expected her to sleep all the time. I was in for a big surprise. My son was the same way. However, they both slept all night basically from the very beginning. We would lay down and have a little quiet story time or something in the afternoon, but they just never did do the nap thing. Every now and then they might relax and konk out for a little while, but the nap routine just never worked. Strangely, when they got older, like say around 10 or so, they didn't mind taking a nap and would just go in and lay down.

I hope some of the other moms have good suggestions for you.
Best wishes!

that is normal. my friends baby had to go to a toddler bed at 11 month's because of that. if they are active baby's and strong like you'r friends, the crib may not be a safe place for him. my son, now 2 and in big biy bed, never tried to get up or climb, so i don't have experiance in that, jsut my friends kid....be careful, sounds like she has a monkey on her hands.

I had the same thing go on with my baby. They get so interested in learning new skills that they want to practice instead of napping. He may not be able to get himself back down. It lasted about 1 week with my baby until he learned how to get down. Just be patient.

1 / 3