8 Mo Old Congested w/Runny Nose & Cough...What Can I Give Him & How Much.

Hello Moms,

My 8 month old son has been congested with cough, sneezing and runny nose. This is starting his second weeks of it. I have tried giving him 1/4 ml of Vicki, Mucunix and Tylenol. All infant/childrens types of course. None of which seem to be helping. What over the counter meds have worked for your infant with these symptoms? If I can't get rid of it by Friday on my own, I am taking him to the doctor.

My 13 month old has had various colds, allergies, etc since she was 6 weeks old. The Vicks Baby Rub is great. It really seems to help her. We also use CP-DEC-DM. It is a prescription cold medicine. The pediatrician prescribed it, and if we need a refill the pharmacy will call the doctor to verify it is okay to refill. I don't know what the actual name is because this is the generic.

My 8 mo old had a cough a few weeks ago (she wasn't very congested) and it was at its worst at bed time. She sounded like she was choking. Her pedi. told me to put a cool mist (not warm) humidifier without any additives in her room when she sleeps and it worked wonders! I asked a similar question on here and I was surprised how many moms told me to put vicks on the bottoms of her feet and then to put socks on them, before she went to bed. I didn't try this because the humidifier worked so well, but you might try it since so many mommies recommended it.

Since it's been so long, I would go ahead and call the doctor to make sure it's not an infection. My son has a cool mist humidifier that really helps at night. I've never given my son the cold meds b/c I used to work in a daycare learned from those moms that they really don't work. I do give him tylenol, though, if he needs it. Make sure that he's taking in plenty of fluids.

I called the doctor when my DD had the same symptoms. The nurse told me to give her Children's Benadryl and she gave me the exact dosage based on her age and weight. It works great but I personally don't like giving it to her because it makes her very very sleepy...too sleepy. Instead I use Vicks Baby Rub. It helps with the congestion and it's a non-medicated formula that contains aloe vera, eucalyptus, rosemary, and lavender. I also use saline drops and the nasal sucker to remove any mucous.

Doctors now recommend that children under age 2 not be given cold or cough medications, because the danger of overdose and they usually aren't that effective. Check out askdrsears.com.

If a child has a runny nose longer than 10 days, it's best to make sure it's not a sinus or ear infection. Suction their nose, let them breathe in hot shower steam, give them Tylenol if they seem achey. My son who is 10 months just had the symptoms you describe for about three weeks, I waited it out, until he started having symptoms that it was a sinus infection. It was just a little one, doc gave him a 5 day antibiotic and it knocked it out immediately.

2 weeks seems like a long time to have these symptoms. You may want to go ahead and call the doc, he could have an ear infection or something.

Also try a humidifier, that may help a little.

My 9 month old daughter just went through this too. My pediatrician had directed me about this before too.

I started giving her saline drops up her nose four times a day and would suction out using the bulb syringe quickly after injecting the saline. I also turned on a humidifier during the night which quit her cough since her throat was no longer dry which caused her to cough.

I had the same problem and it has been for over a month now. I have had 3 different antibiotics and now feel much better. My son has it he is 19 months old he got a prescription for Panmist DM. You should probably get him in to see the doctor asap.

1 / 3