J.G. asks from Littleton, CO on June 04, 2008
8-Month-old Son Vomiting While Eating Solids
My son is 8 1/2 months old, and for the last few weeks he's vomitted occasionally while eating solids. He LOVED to eat when I introduced solids at 6 months, so this took me by surprise. He has had issues with acid reflux since he was a newborn and is on Prevacid, but this is different - it's not just spitting up. He takes a bite and then gags a bit and then throws up. I've started to thin out his food with water, formula, or breastmilk and I think that might be helping. For the most part, he does just fine eating, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this or has any advice. Do I need to take him to the doctor? Am I possibly overfeeding him? Does he just not like the food?
So What Happened?™
Thanks for the advice - I took him to the doctor today. It could very well just be a phase, and he's actually done fine for the last couple of days since I've been really thinning his baby food and cereal with water or formula. If it does start to happen again, our pediatrician will refer us to an eating specialist. I'm pretty confident that it's not allergies since it happened with several different foods, but of course we'll keep a close eye on how he does. Thanks again!
R.A. answers from Provo on June 05, 2008
If he only seems to vomit after gaging he may have started choking and his body was just trying to clear the path. My daughter has started choking on things a few times and each time she ended in throwing up (her body just trying to throw out what was obstructing the path).
K.F. answers from Salt Lake City on June 06, 2008
There may be more problems, I have a 2.2 year old. She started vomitting at 9 months. It took 6 months to figure it out, the first doctor said she was just teething. I took her to a different doctor, He orded blood test, some for allergies. She is alleregic to milk, soy, wheat, eggs, peanuts, and other nuts, some meat, some vegetables, and some fruit. The doctor sent her to the childerens hospital in the area to see a GI doctor. She underwent a scope of her throte, stomic, and bigging part of her intestine. She has a condition called eosinophilic esophigites. The childrens hospital (Primary Childrens) is finding 3 new casses of EE a month it is becoming more common. Stay on top of what is going on with your child. You know if someing is not right. You have the option to a second or even a third opion.
I am the mother of a 8, 5, and 2 year old girls.
K.D. answers from Denver on June 04, 2008
Our son had the same problem. Our feeding specialist said it is the easiest way to tell that the reflux is not under control. I would see if you can get him back on the medicine. It'll take 2 to 3 days, but should be a sure cure. Our son does the ranitidine. I can't remember the brand name off hand. Maybe Zantac. GL!
P.L. answers from Denver on June 05, 2008
Hi, my daughter did the same thing right around the same age (she is nine and half months old now) and I called the doctor b/c she had no issues eating solids up til that point. He told me that it was probably the stomach bug since she had diahrrea too. I cut out solids for about 5-7 days and made sure she was getting plenty of liquids (very important!). He also told me to try to give her Pedialyte, but she wouldn't take that either. After about a week, everything was back to normal. So, if it is the bug, just give it time and your baby will come around again.
L.H. answers from Salt Lake City on June 05, 2008
My son did the exact same thing. He couldn't even eat a number 3 jar of baby food until he was over a year old without gagging and throwing up because it was too thick. He also has acid reflux. The doctor told us that this is often a symptom of the reflux and that they eventually outgrow it. We increased his Prevacid dosage at his 12 month appointment and it made a huge difference so talk to your doctor. I know it can be really frustrating, though. My son is almost three and still throws up really easily from laughing, crying, or coughing. We've been to pediatric GI doctors and all they say is that it's a combination of acid reflux and a sensitive gag reflex. The good news, though, is that it's nothing serious.
J.B. answers from Denver on June 05, 2008
My daughter did the same thing. She had a very sensitive gag reflex...especially if she didn't like something. It was a little scary when she was little and just annoying when she was 2 years old and just didn't want to eat peas (she would gag and throw up. She eventially grew out of it. I would suggest doing what your already doing and when he's a little older keep introducing new foods. I read somewhere that kids have to try a new food 20+ times before they aquire a taste for it (veggies and fruits).
A.P. answers from Denver on June 05, 2008
My oldest son has a really easy gag reflex. Make sure you're not giving too much food. And he might not like that food. Pay attention to his cues and when he is throwing up.
M.H. answers from Boise on June 05, 2008
Are you feeding him actual solids or just food from a jar of baby food? I never move my babies up a step i food until the dr. says it is okay to. The dr. knows when they are ready, not me. Both of my kids were ready for the different stages at different times. If you are feeding him actual solids, try feeding him baby food from a jar and the baby cereals. I know they are pricey but it is better for them. Is he thowing up from everything or just certain foods? It could be an allergy or a texture issue. My son to this day can't eat peas because the texture makes him vomit, he is almost 5. He loves the taste, but he can't handle the texture. My daughter has a hard time with the texture of most meats. Also, are you feeding him chunky baby food? If so the chunks might b too big, and he might noe be ready for it. I would also talk to the dr. about it. It could be an allergy or something medicaly wrong. Even if he does this with everything he eats, he could still be allergic to the dies and other things they use to process the food. One more note. When my daughter was a baby, if we gave her the baby food with the egg in it, she would throw it up, but she did fine with the others. Look at te ingredients of what you feed him and change it up a bit. Call the dr.
P.L. answers from Salt Lake City on June 05, 2008
Sounds like he may have more serious food allergies! My son does, and he also LOVED to eat the foods he was allergic to until he threw them up! Take him to an allergist!