8 1/2 Month Old Not Holding Bottle

I know this sounds really stupid but my son is 8 1/2 months and refuses to hold his own bottle or put food in his mouth (gerber finger food). He throws a fit when we try to get him to hold his bottle or help him put his food in his hand to put in his mouth. We try to let him grab it and do it himself he just grabs it sqeezes it then throws it. His bottle he swings his hands so he doesn't touch it. Any suggestions on how to get him to do things on his own. Any advise would be great.

My little guy was just the same way! He was a little younger, but my brother told me just be consistent. Put his hands on the bottle & help him to understand he needs to hold his own bottle. It took a good week, but being consistent and holding his hands on the bottle really helped. (Until now, he's 14 months & in the stage where he throws everything he touches!)

My daughter didn't hold her own bottle until she was a year old. Then, at about 13 months, she switched right over to the sippy cup which she also holds on her own. My family and friends all thought it was weird that we would still be holding her bottle for her when she was 9-12 months old already, but I guess every kid is different. We just went ahead and held it for her at first, then we would slowly place her hands on the bottle and let go so that she would end her feeding holding her own bottle. It didn't always work, but we kept at it.

:) When I read this I had to laugh!

My now 21-month-old also refused to hold his bottle. He had no problems putting anything else in his mouth though. :P

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't know how to help you here. But I wanted to let you know that things will change when he stars using a cup.

I never quite knew why my son refused to hold his bottle, but I did notice (a tad late) that the few times he tried holding it, I would walk away to do something else... and then boom! Bottle would be across the floor!

As for the finger food... I remember mine trying about 10% of the food and the other 90% would end up on the floor. I think that's pretty normal. I would suggest here to praise him when he does grab his own food. Show him yourself how to eat it without grabbing his hand (eat his food with him). Don't push it too hard though or it will become some hateful activity for him. Just go with it and have your broom or vacuum on stand-by.

My daughter is 8 months old and doesn't hold her own bottle most of the time. She'll put one hand on it sometimes, or even both, but not actually hold it in place. Though if all the big bottles are waiting to be washed and we use a smaller one, she will hold that one. So I'm thinking the bigger ones are just a little awkward for her to hold. So I'm not really pushing the issue. We're offering her a sippy cup or regular cup with juice once in awhile and that's what I want to encourage her to hold herself more than the bottle.

We just started giving her the Gerber puffs. She loves sweet potatoes, so I started with the sweet potato flavored puffs and it worked. I started by putting one in her mouth and then set a few more on her high chair tray. She plays with them most of the time, but will put one in her mouth eventually. We actually tried Cheerios first but she didn't like the taste. She just made an ugly face and spit it out. So that's when we switched to the puffs. So it may be just finding what your son likes the taste of to give him some motivation to feed himself.

My baby girl didn't hold her bottle at that age either. Everyone made it sound like a huge deal but it's not. She's ten months old now and has mastered it. Get those non drip/spill nipples for those throws. At least its a start. When you feed him, see if you can hold one of his hands on the bottle under yours. Then later, maybe, both. Mia never let me hold both but eventually understood to hold it. She's still a princess and will have me hold it when she's really tired and put her hands behind her head in a relaxing "AHHH!" position, lol!

My boy didn't want to hold his own bottle either. Contrary to at least one of the other posts, I didn't want him to hold the bottle so I could just go walk away. I understand what you're feeling- he's old enough where he should be able to do this - is there something wrong with him that he isn't and isn't even interested in doing so? When we went on vacation for a wedding on the coast, he stayed with Grandma for 4-5 days. He was about 11 months at the time. When we got home, he was holding his own bottle! I still held him while I fed it to him but he no longer wanted me hold the bottle for him.

I think either he wants the comfort of being fed by you, it's simply a habit, or the bottle is just another toy when it gets into his hands. Also, it helped me feel better to read that they recommend not letting your child hold his own bottle. It makes weaning a lot easier since they're not so attached to it.

Shame on the poster who judged you so harshly! May I remind ladies that this is just an internet forum....we do not have the whole scenario and nor do we need to know.
8 1/2 months is too young to have to hold the bottle in my opinion but who am I to say that your intent is to throw the bottle at him and walk away! Honestly!
This is a good time to cuddle while feeding but I think this is a grand time to introduce a sippy cup. Easy and fun to practice on in the high chair!

Hi, S. - I wouldn't worry much about this at all. Sounds very normal for an 8.5 month old. My son is 10 months and does the same thing when I try to get him to hold a spoon. If I put food in his mouth for him, he will occasionally "help" out by pushing it further into his mouth with his finger, but so far he pretty much adamantly refuses to feed himself. Though he has great interest in smearing his food around and throwing it on the floor. It's VERY normal! As for holding a bottle, my son put up some resistance at first, but I eventually began to wean him to a sippy cup with handles. After a while, he gradually became used to holding it without my help and now he does it well on his own. Though there are plenty of babies who still put up resistance to feeding themselves with a spoon or cup for even longer. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about with your son. It's frustrating, but just keep gently trying once in a while and wait it out through the messes! Good luck!

1 / 3