8 1/2 Month Old Cries Constantly and Wants to Be Held..

My 8 1/2 month old son cries constantly during the day if I am not holding him. I know babies cry, but this can’t be normal. I feel like I have tried everything. I have attempted to let him cry but he's super stubborn and can go FOREVER. I have discussed the problem with my doctor and she suggested early childhood intervention which is more for babies with developmental problems or delays, or other medical issues. But I am exhausted and will try ANYTHING. The nurse that came to my home was wonderful and told me that she thinks my son is super smart and is getting bored. That makes sense but also doesn't help much either. She also thought he might have reflux, all the symptoms she described- spitting up (he doesn't do that a lot but does), breath smells like sour milk, hiccupping after meals, crying wanting to be held, arching back, waking up at night screaming for no reason- my son has them all. I called his doctor and she says that the main concern for reflux is spitting up and since he doesn’t do that much and isn’t losing weight they wouldn’t do anything. So should I take that answer and continue to think his crying is behavioral rather than something medical or should I get a second opinion. I have done the Dr. Mommy research on the internet. You know where you try to diagnosis your child yourself. I have found that some babies can have serious reflux without spitting up. I also found that it can make them extremely fussy. I am just frustrated and want to help my son whether it’s treating his boredom or his reflux. I think it’s a little of both… Any advice would be helpful and much appreciated.

First of all THANK YOU for all the responses. Boy have we been busy. My son is now 10 months old and is thriving, crawling, cruising, talking, and playing on his own. I found out that the nurse at the doctor's office had been the main problem when I was trying to get through to the doctor about my son and his reflux. Now my doctor is clear that my son is suffering from reflux and he is on prevacid. YEAH!!! It was almost an immediate change when he started this medicine. I also realized that my milk supply was way down due to my pregnancy, and I started supplementing with formula. He was hungry as well as hurting. I felt terrible, of course, but glad that everything is working out now. He still has severe separation anxiety, but the crying has gone down tremendously!!! Again thank you for all the advice, I really appreciate it. Now I have to get back to planning the big 1 year birthday, too exciting! Take Care!

My daughter cried also when I put her down as a baby. She also did not want to stay in her bed and slept as little as possible. This wore me out. She quit crying when she learned to crawl and walk. She is much older now and this behavior was very fitting of her personality. She wanted to be in the center of any action and loves being with people (just like her dad!!!).

Has he started to get in his teeth? Little ones can be very unhappy for a while when their teeth are trying to come in.

I have a 4 month old with the exact same problem. She cried all the time and always wanted to be held. She ate a lot too. She was diagnosed with reflux and was on every medication available. One day my mom was watching her and when I went to pick her up, she told me to call the doctor immediately because her crying was not normal. I called the pediatrician who told me to go to Texas Children's Hospital because she didn't know what else to suggest. We went to the ER, and the ER pediatrician told us to just "wait it out" and eventually it would get better. I started to cry because not only is my baby miserable, my whole family is because of all the crying. I think in a last ditch effort to seem like he was trying to help, he suggested giving her 3 ml of Maalox. I was not impressed, but I was desperate and ready to try anything. So, I tried it and she is a completely different baby. She laughs and smiles now. She only cries when she's hungry. She will actually sit in the bouncy seat and jumparoo for about 10 minutes at a time (which is heaven for me since she screamed the second I would put her in those things before). Ask your pediatrician about trying the Maalox. I don't know if it will work for your son or if your pedi will say it's OK, but it has worked miracles for me and given me a ray of hope (and my sanity back). Good luck and let me know if it helps!

Switch doctors!!! We went through a very similar situation. I won't go into the long, drawn out details but it ended with us finding a wonderful new doctor who treated our son with Mylanta and Previcid (both of which are very safe). Reflux is very common and often not associated with spitting up. Most doctors just treat it symptomatically- DON'T do the UGI test, it is unreliable and horrible to put your child through. Try Dr.Elizabeth Reidy if you are in Austin.

Good luck! There are plenty of doctors who will help you get to the bottom of what's going on. Don't give up!

i am a mom of 3 kiddos - 2 boys ages 10 & 6 and a 2 yr old little girl -- all 3 of my babies had reflux and cried and hurt though only my little girl "failed to thrive" and was put on medication which caused all kinds of other problems -- so, whatever you do, don't give up -- you're a mom and you MUST listen to those gut feelings/instincts - your baby deserves to be healthy (and happy) - check with the pharmacists at people's on westbank dr. (in austin) www.peoplesrx.com - check with a nutritionalist like dr. luepnitz in austin www.lonestaroncology.com- check with an acupuncturist like jennifer crain at the goji seed in austin www.thegojiseed.com - a lot of reflux can be related to food allergies or sensitivities - check with an occupational therapist like the ones at kidworks therapy www.kidworkstherapy.com -- keep trying, you'll find the answer for your baby

My son has reflux and does not spit up alot but he was put on prevacid...I would express to your doctor you want something done.. if they do not give him any help change doctors... no need to let your baby suffer good luck

I think you need to get a second opinion and/or a new pediatrician. This sounds very much like reflux, and there are things that will help with that. Not doing anything to help him and you is unacceptable. Don't take no for an answer when it comes to your child's needs and health!

It sounds as though your son has an upset stomach. Have you tried switching him to Soy Formula? I had to do that with both of my kids and their stomach problems improved greatly! The Mylicon drops helped, also. I hope this helps!

for your babies sake, please, please, please don't take no for an answer from your doctor! there is no harm in insisting the doctor order the test and finding out for sure, regardless of outcome. it sounds just like how my baby was before she started on reflux medicine. she very rarely spit up but had all the other symptoms. i waited about a month or two after my friends told me it sounded like reflux. she took the test and we found she had severe silent reflux. since she's on medicine she's a different child. i felt so awful knowing she was in pain and i could have treated it sooner. good luck!

it seems obvious he has colic..what is he eating? if it is breast milk, then eliminate colic producing items and if it is formula, then try raw goats milk, which is the best alternative in my humble opinion. hope this helps. one thing for sure; it is not boredom. it is either pain deriving from his diet or something wrong physiologically.

1 / 3