7 Year Old with Chest Pains

Hi all. My seven year old son has complained a couple of times in the last week that his chest was hurting. I don't know what could be causing chest pains in a little boy, but I was hoping that someone else had been through this. The pains just seem to last for a few minutes. He says that it kind of hurts and kind of burns and says that it is his whole chest. I have never heard of this. Please someone tell me that this is normal..I have given pepto bismol and it seems to help. Now a new question...How long should I let this happen before we see the doctor.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the responses. I have talked to the doc and they say with his prior history of asthma, they would attribute the pain to tightness in his chest due to the great Alabama summer. We have started him again on his nebulizer treatments and the symptoms are completely gone. Thanks again to everyone.

Start with a diet change. Caffeine causes reflux and could be a major culprit. There are also a lot of additives in processed and fast foods (not to mention a lack of any nutrients) that can make the situation worse. Here is a website that has a free nutrition book with a lot of tips and tricks for getting kids to eat right and be healthier. www.cancerproject.org
If you need any more tips, just lemme know. I've got 2 girls (8&9) that are fruit and veggie fanatics :}

L.,
It could be pneumonia. Does he have a fever? I would take him to a doctor immediately, though.

Hope he gets better soon.

Well, L., since I'm neither a physician nor am I there with your son to hear his complaints or to witness his behaviors prior to the onset of the chest pains I cannot make a specific diagnosis, persae. However, by what you are telling us here at MamaSource, the pain subsides with pepto bismol. That is an indication of gas pain traveling into his chest cavity. Is he eating at a rapid pace for any reason? Is the dining hour filled with stress, tension, anxiety? Digestive issues create chest pains such as you've described. Normally that comes from anxiety. Perhaps having him chew his foods thoroughly, eating in a positive calm enviroment, and waiting a few minutes after eating before he runs off to play again, will aid in his digestion of his meals. You may also give him some fresh papaya after the meal. It is a natural digestive agent and it tastes good too! If you have no fresh papaya where you live, there are papaya chewable tablets in the health food store.

If the pepto bismol wasn't helping him, I'd have said rush him in to see the doctor immediately. If you have any doubts whatsoever, please do not wait nor hesitate to see the physician. The worst that could happen in so doing would be that the doctor tells you your child is merely suffering with indigestion for any number of reasons, a few of which i've mentioned above!

good luck...relax and enjoy some papaya!

Hi, This sounds like what my son was going though. My Dr. said he was having growing pains. The bones in his chest were growing faster than his muscles. I would still take him to see his Dr. to make sure that is the problem.
S. Trim

L.,
I am not a scare tactic person but believe you should take him to the doctor. My neice complained of chest pain and leg peg and we all thought it is just growing pains or something simple. Well it wasn't she had a heart problem and had to have stints put in her legs in the grion area because the veins were to small. The leg pain was because of lack of circulation and the chest pain was the heart trying to work so hard to pump he blood.
This may not be your sons problem at all but with chest pain I would take him in and get him checked out.
God bless, M.

Hey L.,

I would definitely get this checked out right away and if your ped. can't offer an explanation, I would seek a second opinion. Chest pain is not something to take lightly. Burning could mean something as common as indigestion or maybe an ulcer or worse case scenario, a probalem with his heart. Definitely get this checked out soon and let us know what happens. Good luck.

you need to take your child to the doctor immediately. it may be something as simple as acid reflux, or it may be something serious like asthma or even a heart condition. you should not delay - it is better to know that nothing is wrong than to possibly risk your child's health.

I also have a 7 year old that has been diagnosed with mild asthma. He started to complain about the same pain as you describe when he was about 4 years old. He even complained that his legs would hurt. It mainly only happened after he would play or after he would climb stairs. Maybe this is something to get checked. Hope eveything works out

Just for precations I would bring him in. Now a days it's better to be safe than sorry. It could be bronchitus, reflux, asthma, or he could simply just have heartburn. But if I was you I would rather find out what it is, rather than guessing and worrying. Good luck.

Sincerely,
A.

1 / 3