7 Year Old W a Facebook

My 6 year old's best friend (who is 7) has a facebook and keeps pressuring my daughter to get one. I think 6 and 7 year olds have no business having their own facebook. I am not at all anti-facebook, I have one and let my kids see pics of friends etc... but I don't know, it just seems weird for a kid that young to have one, even if their profile is on private. Am I being the mean mom here?

I have 3 girls 12, 11, and 9. None of them are on facebook or have cell phones. Maybe I'm over protective, but I just don't see why they need that stuff. They need to go play!

It's against Facebook's rules for anyone under the age of 13 to be on there.

So there's the answer.

I have a fb and I hate it! I'm deleting it. Seriously. The sheer number of grown women who are catty and have drama on facebook amazes me. One of my friends has her account and all of her young children are friends on it. She, herself, posts crazy, sexual innuendo's and scenerio questions to have her friends (some that are internet, never met in person friends) answer and her kids can read and even sometimes comment. One is a sixth grader (not hers, someone elses's). I was so uncomfortable that I quit posting on her wall.

So, short answer? NO!!!

IMO way to young!!!! After much pleading and begging by them and research by me, we allowed both my DDs (13 and 14) to get a facebook account. Hubby and I included many rules. My daughters and I attended a workshop presented by a police officer about internet safety. Still my oldest used bad judgement, and her account has been closed. The point is FB can be a dangerous place and even with the best intentions and safety nets, kids make bad judgements.

Are you being mean? From your daughter's point of view, yes. From the point of view of other moms, maybe.
Are you being a good mom? Absolutely

I think 7 is WAY too young for a facebook page. I remember when I first started using facebook...it was only for COLLEGE students! You could only make an account with your college email address. I think it should have stayed that way! JMO.

NOT ONLY NO BUT HELL NO~!!!! You are SOOOOOO NOT BEING A MEAN MOM!!!!

You have to be at least 13 to have one - the other child's parents have just taught her that it's okay to break the rules.

Profile private or not - NO WAY!!! My son has one - I monitor it. I KNOW EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON HIS ACCOUNT. PERIOD. If I don't know them, they are gone. PERIOD. No foul language and no condescending attitudes allowed. period.

SEVEN YEARS OLD IS WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY too young. Sounds like your daughter needs to stop hanging with this other child - as she's going to learn it's okay to break the rules and it's okay to pressure "friends" into things....soooo glad that your daughter is ASKING first and that she is listening to you!!!

So, short answer? NO!!!

Nope, not being mean at all.

It's the way of the world: kids will always want what other kids have, and some families will do things differently than others. Methinks it's been this way since the beginning of time. In the 1800's, the young master probably wanted a phaeton or barouche just like his friends had.... ha ha!

Isn't it great to know how to say 'no' to one's child?! Imagine giving them everything they want... eeek!

No, she's too young for her own account. There is way too much risk for little kids to click on some dumb ad there and totally jack things up, let alone the addiction of it all. Like you said, she can look at yours and see pictures and stuff. It gives her a reason to want to "grow up" some day and have some adult privileges. Cell phones, laptops, etc... should be carrots and not given to little kids that just arent ready for what electronic communication has to offer.

So there's the answer.

1 / 3