7 Year Old Complaining of Leg Pain.

Hello,
My 7 year old son started complaining that his legs hurt. His legs were hurting so bad that he even started to cry a couple different times. When I asked him what was wrong, he replied "my legs hurt". I looked at his legs and did not see any bruising or swelling. I started to massage his legs and when I did he pulled away and started to cry saying that it hurt. He has not fallen or hurt his legs that I am aware of. He is walking fine. Could this be "growing pains"??

Any insight would be great. Thanks.

My younger sister complained of leg pain when she was just a bit younger than that. I believe it was growing pains. She often woke up in the night crying. She did allow my parents to massage her legs, but it lasted for over a year, maybe two. Perhaps Lavendar/Vanilla lotion massaged on his legs at bedtime...great for a boy, huh?

A friend of mine's daughter at the same age was having problems with her legs hurting also and it turned out that her feet were flat footed and the shoes she was wearing had no arch supports and the doc told her she needed to wear good shoes with arch supports. When she did that her legs didn't hurt anymore. Hope this helps. Good luck and God Bless.

could be "growing pains" but you should check with your doc just to be sure it isnt something serious

my vote is for GROWING PAINS! or a need to pump POTASSIUM, CALCIUM, &/or WATER. Each of these will cause leg pain at night.

& yes, during this pain...it does hurt to massage the leg. I have found that heat & stretching & Ibuprofen helps more than anything. This leg pain is something which my entire family has endured for generations! Both my dad & his mom suffered from it, & my sis & I still do. As children, my sis & I were examined many times (thru the years) by different doctors & the dx was always: growing pains.

When I was pregnant, I had to pump calcium & potassium to ward off "charley-horses"...to use an old-fashioned term. Just simply keeping up with some milk & bananas took care of the leg pain. I now take a diuretic for blood pressure & have to eat a banana each day to help boost my potassium. Soooo, it's been a lifelong (so far) process for me!

A need for more water can also cause leg pain, which can be an early symptom of dehydration. Pumping up the water intake can sometimes help alleviate this.

Now for a word of caution: my older son was 6 when he was diagnosed with a degenerative hip disease....Perthes Disease. It is quite common between the ages of 4-12, & usually affects active boys more than girls. This disease manifests in leg pain & a limp. The pain is usually in the thigh area & the hip joint, with the pain sometimes radiating down the leg. It's been a long, hard haul for him... with surgery in 1st, 3rd, & 4th grade....& the use of crutches, a leg brace, & sometimes a wheelchair in between these years. The need for a hip replacement has been present since age 18, seriously in need since age 21. (He has delayed surgery in hopes for a better long-term prognosis....hoping for new developments in the field of replacement joints/pain management.) Because of this family history, our younger son has had x-rays several times to rule out Perthes....with dx finalized as "growing pains".

I do not share this to scare you...I simply present it as an "information only" tag. I truly believe you are dealing with growing pains! I wish you Peace!

We went through this with my 4 1/2 year old son very recently. On a Wednesday evening, he was hobbling around a bit and said that his leg hurt up by his hip. I thought he had bumped it on something. Then on Thursday night, he woke up crying and when I tried to hold him, he yelled out "don't touch my leg!". He was in a lot of pain and his right leg was hurting - he said it was in his shin area, not one specific spot, but from his knee down. He wimpered some in his sleep during the rest of that night. The next morning, I got him into the doctor. They did a physical exam, x-rays, and bloodwork. Everything came back negative. I am assuming that it was growing pains. He broke his left leg during a sledding accident last December and we still go for periodic checks to the orthopedic (sp?) doctor. When I asked him his opinion on this, he said that it could very well be growing pains. Anyway, within a few days the pain wasn't intense anymore and now about a month has passed and it isn't hurting him. It is very scary though! I hope that your son's leg will be better soon.

Take him to the doctor just to be sure. It is probably growing pains, but as someone else said there are many other things that could cause pain and you'd want him to get checked for that. Best Wishes

It may just be growing pains. I went through a stage where my knee hurt really bad and it was just growing pains.

It's probably growing pains. I had them when I was little and my kids did. Good news is my Dad did too when he was little and his Mom knew the solution to make it go away quick. You sit at the end of the bed while your son lays down. Lift his leg and put one of your hands on one side and one on the other. Rub the leg up and down as fast as you can. Like get the friction built up on it. It makes the leg warmer and it almost immediately feels better and your a hero. I usually would do it a couple times in a few minutes and it would quit hurting. You have to get it warm though.

God Bless,
L. (H. now)

Thank you for asking this question. My son has been going throught the same thing for a while. He's 6. He's a very active kid and seldom complains of pain of any kind (by the time he has symptoms that we notice, he's usually really sick becasue he won't complain until it really hurts, generally with ear infections). He has had some major pain with his legs. He will sit and let me rub them as long as I use long movements and not too hard. I also give him Motrin and sometimes a low dose of Benedryl when it's extra bad, so that he can sleep. I feel so bad for him. My husband also had these pains when he was a kid. Makes a momma sad to see her baby in pain. :(

1 / 3