7 Week Old with Head Cold.

My 7 week old son has come down with a head cold. Does anyone have any ideas on how to relieve him a little more other than saline and nose sucker, humidifier, and sitting up all night with him? We are already doing these. His symptoms are congestion, mucus in his eyes, hoarse cry, and cough. I have been to his ped. and he is on antibiotics (day 2). Just hoping for other ideas,

Unfortunately that is all you can do. I work in a pharmacy and we have people come in all the time asking what to do about sick babies. About 2 years ago all of the over the counter cold remedies were removed from the shelves in all of the stores because some infants had died after using cough and cold medicines. So now they just have to tough it out, it really sucks.

I like to get peppermint oil, mix it with olive oil, and rub it on my son's chest to help with the congestion. I also rub it on his feed and put socks on him. Good luck!

my 2 week old had a cold and I was supplementing with formula, so I switched to a non-dairy, non-soy kind (nutramigen), thinking the dairy was adding to his congestion / mucous. I also stopped eating any dairy, so that couldn't get into my breastmilk. I don't know if you are even giving him any formula. That and I got a really nice air filter in her room, thinking she perhaps had some kind of allergy too. I approached it more from an environmental way. I also made sure to get this ongoing plumbing issue we had in the house fixed, as that created some mold. She got a lot better after all of that. Hang in there, I know how stressful this is. But my baby is 10 weeks old and has been in perfect health ever since then.

My daughter also had a real bad cold when she was an infant.
We did the saline, sucker and pedi-cold med (per dr).
We had went on a trip to see a family member.
She took one of her own crockpots and used it like a humidifier. She put vicks in it and closed all the doors to the room.... It was a very strong smell but it worked... (I also had the cold as I caught it from her and this helped alot.) I am not sure what else you could try...
I agree with the others when they say you might want to have him sleep in his car seat or elevate a side of his crib.

Hope your poor little one can find some relief soon.

My son is 8 months old and we've been using a Triaminic vapor fan in his room on and off for a few months now. There are a couple different brands of this type of product in the stores. The only thing with the Triaminc fan is that it runs on batteries (thought that would be great for travel/camping) but it goes through batteries pretty quick and the refil pads are hard to find in the stores. There are others that plug in. You can find them in the children's allergy medicine section.

Try taking him in a steamy shower with you and just hold him in there for 10 minutes or so. Also, you can put a moist warm washcloth over his little forehead and eyes. Finally, I'm not sure I would rub anything on his skin, even something made for babies--he's just so young. But what if you put some Vick's Vaporub on you somewhere where it won't contact him directly but will still be able to affect him? Maybe your shoulders under a sleeved shirt? I would just check with the pediatrician and make sure it's OK first.

Although I always used the natural stuff for my kids like Echinacea, vitamin C, etc. I also gave them pedia-care (for stuffy noses), benedryl, tylenol etc. and they seemed to get over them quickly. With your child being so young you'll need to talk to his doctor before giving him anything over the counter. I have a child that is allergic to Echinacea. Get well little guy!

We used to have our little ones sleep in a baby swing, bouncer or comfy car seat when they were extremely congested (along with the cool air humidifier); it was the only way they could get some sleep and breathe better.

Hi mama :)
Here's an idea. If you're breastfeeding, you can pump some milk, put it into a dropper, and put it straight into his eyes. Your milk it chock full of wonderful antibodies which are sooooo much better than synthetic antibiotics. My midwife has used this tip with countless mamas/babies, with wonderful results. You can even use the milk on your/your partners cold eyes too!
Hope that helps. My 8 week old son got his first cold at 3 weeks, and while it takes a while to dissipate, it really isn't as big of a deal, babies get sick...but I know watching your little one is tough.

1 / 3