7 Month Old Won't Drink Formula

I have breast feed my son since he was born. I also breast feed my daughter until she was 7 months old. Once my daughter started eating baby food, she wasn't very interested in nursing and switched to formula with no problem. However, my son is very much a breast baby. He has been eating baby food for over a month now, but still nurses at night and occasionally during the day, if his teeth are bothering him. I have tried many times to give him formula and he refuses to take it. I have tried Similac and Enfamil, but he has no interest in them. He will take a bottle if, it was breast milk or juice in it, so it not a bottle issue. I also had Mastitis recently, which caused me to nurse even less due to pain and being uncomfortable. As a result, I feel that I don't produce much milk anymore. I can tell when he nurses at night that he doesn't feel like he's getting enough. This causes him to be even more cranky during the night and wake up more often. My sister-in-law had a hard time switching her children from breast to formula and she did it by basically starving them until they were so hungry that they took the formula. I don't really want to do it that way. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do it fix it?

In addition, some reason I want to switch to formula are:
1. My milk supply has already been greatly reduced.
2. My son moves too much and gets mad because of it when he does nurse.
3. He already has 2 bottom teeth and his 2 top teeth are coming in, which makes it hurt when I nurse.

Thank you to everyone for their great advice and outlooks. I'm going to try some of the mentioned ideas to see which one my son and I feel most comfortable with. I appreciate all the different point of views and information. I'll let you know if anything changes.

I would try to go straight to the sippy cups. Rather then try to break him of the bottle later on. Im trying to break my son of the bottle and hes 2. very hard. or even mixing the formula adn breast milk. both of these might work. just remember with the sippy start with juices i learned start with the good stuff in the sippy and the "yucky" stuff in the bottle made it a little easy to transfer over

Hi A. ~
Have you tried using a sippie cup instead of the bottle? It would be easier to switch to that now instead of having to break him from the bottle later on.
Every baby is different, so that makes it harder.
My friend's kids liked the Carnation Good Start formula. Pediatricians do not recommend soy formula unless they really have to. The newest studies say it's not as good for babies ( but if that's what works, don't fret too much).

Time to quit nursing, A.. Too many difficulties here that you describe. And the crankiness your son is showing is probably from cutting teeth.
Don't give in. Do so and the cycle won't stop. At some point he will have to accept something else. But if you have mastitis, and if you're taking some meds for it, that would definitely NOT be good for him to be taking in.

Have you tried going half and half.

Congratulations and Great Job nursing your son for the past 7 months. Is there a reason that you HAVE to give your son formula? The World Health Organization recomends breastfeeding until age two or while mutually agreeable to both mother and child. I'm not saying that you need to nuse until 2 but I do want to encourage you to nurse until 1 when he can switch to whole milk. Before 1 year breast milk or formula should be his primary food source. If you are afraid that your milk supply is going down it will increase with more frequent nursing. He should be nursing about 6 to 8 times in 24 hrs.
Many Blessings, K.

It is wonderful that you have breast fed your little ones as long as you have. Are there other reasons that you wish to discontinue nursing, other than the ones listed above? If not, I would contact a local leche league. Within the group is always a lactation specialist; I'm sure they will be able to give you tips to increase your milk supply and also ways to help make it comfortable again. Most babies continue to nurse after they begin eating other foods. Little ones nurse for comfort, which is equally important, as well as for nourishment. Though,I can understand your reservations to continue nursing after suffering with mastitis.
I wish the best for you and your little ones!

My suggestion is to start pumping and get your milk back again. Its really a supply and demand type of system. pump and feed him with a bottle alone first. Have your husband or someone else do it at night. He may be waking up just for the close connection in the middle of the night. He may realize that its not worth it to wake up for a bottle. Keep pumping and giving him the milk from the bottle only. Also, start introducing a cup at mealtime put a little water or breastmilk in it and let him start to learn to use a cup. My daughter wouldn't give up the breast until she was 2 and it was a stuggle. Now my son is loving it to and I can already tell he's a breast man, if you know what I mean. So It will be a struggle too. This is how I got my daughter to switch but if you start now it will be much easier than at 2! Good luck.

I am having the same problem with my 8 month old. He eats baby food, cereal and he will take juice out of a sippy cup or bottle but he will only take formula when I am working. He gets up at night sometimes to breastfeed and I have a hard time getting him to go to bed for the night and sometimes it is hard to get him to take naps. I sometimes give him an extra jar of food after his dinner of cereal. That helps a bit. You have to slowly wean him. My initial goal was to breasfeed until he is one but I know it is going to be tough to wean him so I am trying to breastfeed less now.

I nursed my first until she was 14 months. But what I did was full-time only breast milk until she was 6 months and then part-time thereafter -- after work and then at night. Most of what she was getting during the day was breast milk but it was from a bottle (pumped) and some formula as well and food.

I'm hoping that you son will at least take breast milk from a bottle which will make this process easier for you (or should)

What I would suggest to you if you haven't done it already is to transition him over a month's period of time to formula. Start by using your pumped milk into a bottle with some formula and then gently increase the formula into the mix until he's totally used to just the formula.

Moving to formula isn't easy, I admit. It tastes bad to them whereas breast milk tastes sweet and is warm. Plus, they're close to us when they eat. If you're diligent about the mixing and your son takes a bottle well, this should work for you.

If you are set against breastfeeding I might suggest warming the formula up. your BM is warm so I would try that.
If you are worried about your supply fenugreek ( you can get it at any vitamen store) will increase your supply
As far as teeth and the wiggle around I have told my daughter ( no biting and put her down and walked away for a couple minutes then said, try again...no teeth. ) and she seems to get it. She has 8 teeth now. that helps with the wiggle also.
How often is he nursing?

1 / 3